Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best hair dryers
Find the right tool to tame your locks.
Regardless of what look you’re going for, the hair dryer you choose can make — or break — your chances of achieving your ideal style. We’ll show you how to choose the right hair dryer for your hair type, plus give you our best recommendations.
Best hair dryer for curly hair
John Frieda Frizz Ease Full Volume
If you have naturally curly hair that needs more than a little encouragement to do as it’s directed, consider this dryer from John Frieda. This model features advance ionic technology to help keep frizz at bay while also adding volume and body to your curls. It also comes with a diffuser to help keep curls under control.
- Three heat settings and two speed settings
- Titanium ceramic coated grille
- Powerful 1875W motor
Best hair dryer for fine hair
Remington Pro Hair Dryer with Pearl Ceramic Technology
If you have super-fine hair, achieving full volume can be a challenge. This Remington hair dryer can help add body to fine hair without damaging it. Its pearl ceramic technology dries and smooths your hair for a lustrous, shiny finish quicker than many other leading models.
- Three heat settings and two speed settings
- 40% faster airflow with removable air filter
- Two-year limited warranty
Best hair dryer on a budget
Revlon 1875W Infrared Hair Dryer
If you want to spend a little but still get big results, check out the Revlon Infrared hair dryer. Coming in well under $20, this model offers a solid mix of value and quality. With its combination of infrared heat technology and tourmaline ionic technology, this hair dryer offers maximum shine, smoothness and frizz reduction. Better still, it also comes with concentrator and diffuser attachments.
- Two heat settings and two speed settings
- Three times the ceramic coating to minimize damage
- Quick dry times
Best hair dryer on the market
Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
If you’re looking for a global best-selling hair dryer that won’t compromise on performance, the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer is a must-have. Its controlled airflow elicits the results you crave in half the time. There’s a built-in microprocessor that measures the temperature of the air output 20 times per second to eradicate the risk of damaging your natural locks. Paired with a digital V9 motor, it offers all the power, balanced weight structure and performance you could ask for.
- 1600W of power minimizes electricity usage while delivering fantastic results
- Four heat settings and three speed settings
- Smoothing nozzle and diffuser tools included
What are the most important things to look for in a hair dryer?
When shopping for a hair dryer, consider these three primary factors:
- Ease of use. You should be able to switch between settings and interchange the adaptors without much fuss.
- Comfortable hold. Whether you’re quickly drying your hair after a shower or are completing a lengthier blowout, you’ll want a hair dryer that delivers a comfortable grip.
- Lightweight. Lighter models are generally better options. Weighty hair dryers can put additional strain on your wrist and hand, which can lead to unwelcome discomfort during and after use.
Hair drying technology explained
There’s an overabundance of technical terminology promising to deliver salon-perfect, natural and shiny results across the market. Here’s what the most popular terms on the market mean:
- Tourmaline. Tourmaline technology is said to produce negative ions, which are believed to speed up the drying process and minimize unwanted static.
- Ionic. This technology has been designed to condition hair using negative ions. It not only dries hair faster and reduces frizz and static, but it also helps to retain natural moisture, keeping your hair looking glossy for longer.
- Ceramic. Ceramic technology is widely marketed to those who struggle with frizz-prone locks. This technology evenly distributes heat to protect hair from damage, while promoting natural shine.
How do I know it’s time to replace my hair dryer?
Here are a few key indications that it might be time to trade in your trusty old hair dryer for a new model:
- Outputting unusually hot air. If your old faithful is putting out extremely high heat, it may be time to upgrade to a new one. Not only can overly hot air damage your hair, but heat transference may result in burns to your skin.
- Giving off a burning smell. Old hair dryers can give off a faint burning smell, which could be due to a clogged filter, worn out heating coils or something else entirely.
- Safety cut-off switch feature failure. When your hair dryer overheats, this built-in safety feature will cut the power, preventing serious hazards. If your hair dryer doesn’t do this, it could be a sign that either the safety feature has worn out, or your model was not fitted with one in the first place. Either way, it’s time to invest in a newer model.
The right hair dryer for your hair type and styling preferences can make all the difference. With so many options on the market in a broad price range, it’s worth comparing a few of the most popular models to choose the one that best fits your needs and budget.
How did we choose these products?
We conducted online research to determine some of the most popular hair dryers for each hair type and budget category, comparing the price, attachments and overall features.
Frequently asked questions
Beauty discounts and sales
More guides on Finder
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
Mortgage brokers versus banks
Check out our guide on the differences between mortgage brokers and bank loan officers. See which one will suit your needs.
Review: FTX US cryptocurrency exchange
What you need to know about using FTX US, including fees, available cryptocurrencies and what payment methods are available.
Teeth whitening guide + top picks
Learn about the main types of teeth whitening procedures, including how to find the right one for your needs.
13 of the best shoes for nurses
Shop some of the best nursing shoes to help you stay on your feet in comfort and style. We share our picks and tips and advice from nurses.
Compare capsule coffee machines
We’ll help you choose the right capsule coffee machine for your home or office. Compare specs and features for popular capsule coffee machines.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
What are the best stocks for May 2021?
Our algorithm selected 20 Aussie stocks worth watching in 2021.
Target 14 Days of Beauty sale
Get all the details on Target’s 14 Days of Beauty sale, including a full list of deals! And find some hacks on how to stack your savings.
NAS drive buying guide
Find the right network attached storage device for your home with this detailed NAS drive buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert