Hagerty classic car insurance review January 2022
Baby your classic car’s every need with an expanse of coverage and a highly-rated claims process.
- Get a quote if you own a classic, collector or racecar.
- Pick something else if you drive your car daily.
- Safe drivers or those with minor violations welcome.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Thousands of high customer ratings
- 16+ coverage options, wider than competitors
- Free perks like spare parts coverage
- No mileage restrictions
- Specializes in classic and racing bikes
- Guaranteed value coverage
- Speedy claims process
- High customer ratings
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Hagerty thinks of every need when insuring and caring for your classic or collector car. It anticipates customers’ challenges with finding classic car parts or wanting extra protection for towing, traveling or roadside assistance. You can even rest easy knowing your claims adjuster understands the careful attention to detail required for classic car repairs.
As a bonus, customers rave about the company’s timely and sensitive response to claims. You can expect to be asked if you’re safe after an accident, and help often comes within hours of reporting damage.
The main downside is qualifying for Hagerty’s car insurance. You may not be accepted if you show a previous history of multiple violations and accidents.
Overall, get a quote if you drive a classic vehicle. But compare several classic car insurers to make sure you’re getting the best value for your needs.
How to apply for Hagerty classic car insurance
You can apply online or call Hagerty’s customer service at 877-922-9701. For the online process, follow these steps:
- Click Get a quote from the main navigation on Hagerty’s website.
- Enter your ZIP code and tap Start My Quote.
- Answer all questions about your vehicle, including the year, model and estimated value. Click Next.
- Fill in your personal information and tap Next.
- See your quote and adjust coverage amounts if needed. If you accept the quote, click Continue.
- Verify your personal information, driver and vehicle details, tapping Next after each section.
- Finalize your paperwork, enter your payment method and select your start date.
What discounts can I get with Hagerty?
The only discount we saw when going through the application process was for paying your premium in full in exchange for shaving money off your premium. However, Hagerty may offer more discounts than advertised or build savings into your final quote.
What classic car insurance coverage does Hagerty offer?
Hagerty offers enough coverage for your classic or collector car, whether you keep your car for shows or pleasure rides. You can buy coverage for:
- Property damage liability. Pay for damage to another person’s car or belongings if you cause a car accident
- Bodily injury liability. Take care of medical expenses for other drivers, passengers or pedestrians if you injure them with your car. Also, protect yourself against expensive legal costs if you get sued.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Guarantee protection for your own car’s damage or your medical bills if the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Personal injury protection. Help yourself and your passengers bear the cost of medical bills, lost income or funeral expenses based on your state’s requirements.
- Medical payments. Bulk up your medical protection if you get injured in a car accident.
- Collision. Worry less about damaging your own car if you cause an accident by buying this coverage for your car repairs. Hagerty automatically includes this coverage in your policy.
- Comprehensive. Protect against acts of God not involving collisions, such as theft, wind or hail damage. Hagerty automatically includes this coverage in your policy.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Hagerty offer?
This specialty insurance company pulls out all the coverage options, so you can find the best fit for your ride with several types of add-ons.
Car and restoration add-ons
- Full guaranteed replacement. Name the agreed value to insure your car, and guarantee that amount if your car needs to be replaced.
- Vehicle under construction. This coverage helps factor in your car’s increasing value as you restore it.
- Car tools. Protect expensive tools you need to keep your car in tip-top shape.
- Spare parts. Cover those hard-to-find replacement parts you keep on hand for your car, up to $750.
- Legendary ride package. This package includes coverage for trip interruptions along with additional coverage for spare parts, tools, personal belongings, valuable papers and branded merchandise. It also provides $10,000 for accidental death or dismemberment per accident, including $500 for pets.
- Do-it-yourself repairs. Hagerty stays flexible when paying out claims, letting you choose the repair shop or even paying you to make repairs yourself.
- In-house parts specialists. The company keeps staff on hand to hunt down hard-to-find parts for you.
- Roadside assistance and drivers club. A Hagerty Drivers Club membership grants you 20 to 150 miles of free towing, $100 for roadside services, member events and discounts on supplies like tires or car covers. Hagerty guarantees flatbed towing for extra protection from towing damage.
Event and collectors add-ons
- Trip interruption. Receive up to $1,500 to pay for lodging, a rental car and canceled event expenses if your car breaks down or you can’t take it to a show.
- Auto show medical reimbursement. Get up to $10,000 in medical coverage if you or your family suffers injuries during an auto show.
- Automobilia. Protect other collector items that come with your car, like trophies or racing gear.
- Claims adjusters trained in classic car repairs. Since claims specialists have hands-on experience repairing and restoring classic cars they anticipate your needs throughout the claims process.
Hagerty classic car insurance customer reviews and complaints
Hagerty shows excellent customer service ratings. The company holds an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of October 2020. It’s received only five customer complaints in the past three years.
In addition, over 3,577 customers have left reviews on Trustpilot before October 2020. About 88% rated the company as Greator Excellent, rating Hagerty with an overall 4.4 out of 5 stars. Customers rave about the company’s knowledgeable customer service and quick, hassle-free claims. This many positive reviews is rare for an insurance company, suggesting high customer satisfaction.
Alternatives to Hagerty
What types of classic vehicles does Hagerty cover?
Hagerty meets the challenge of insuring nearly any type of classic vehicle. Your vehicle could qualify as one of these categories:
- Classic cars. Cars from 1979 or older meet Hagerty’s definition of a classic.
- Collector luxury cars. Limited edition models, exotic cars or supercars from 1980 or newer can get coverage
- Collector trucks and SUVs. Collector trucks or SUVs from 1996 or older qualify.
- Modified cars. Cars with significant body or performance changes or expensive paint jobs worth more than $10,000 qualify. These may include kit cars, street rods or replicas of older models.
- Racing cars. You can get insurance for cars built for the racetrack, including race day coverage. Hagerty insures both street-legal and track-only models.
- Military vehicles. Demilitarized vehicles like Jeeps or tanks can get coverage if they’re 20 years old or older. This includes vehicles used for battle reenactments.
- Retired commercial vehicles. If you drive a retired fire truck, semi, bus or any 25 year old plus retired vehicle used for personal driving you can qualify.
- Trailers. Protect the trailer that transports your classic or collector car or the matching tow-behind on your classic car.
- Antique tractors. Cover your retired antique tractor that’s at least 25 years old as long as it’s in good condition or being restored.
- Motorcycles or scooters. Get coverage on your classic or collector bikes from 1996 or older.
Pros and cons of Hagerty car insurance.
- Insures an array of specialty cars. Whatever classic or collector vehicle you can imagine driving, Hagerty likely covers it — from antique tractors to supercars.
- Offers wide coverage options. Choose from 16 options that offer robust coverage for your vehicle, its restoration, show travel, roadside help and personal belongings.
- Allows limited driving. Hagerty doesn’t place a mileage restriction on you, although you can’t use your classic as a daily driver.
- Includes free perks. Collision, comprehensive, full replacement cost and spare parts coverage come standard on every policy.
- Locates specialty parts. Hagerty provides a concierge to help you locate hard-to-find parts for your car’s repairs.
- Top-rated customer service. Thousands of Hagerty’s customers have left positive reviews online, an unusually high number for an insurance company.
- Few discounts or rewards. Discounts are not one of Hagerty’s perks. But the company boasts that its classic car premiums cost 36% less than major insurers charge for standard cars.
- Not for high-risk drivers. The company may approve drivers with minor incidents on record, but not those with alcohol-related violations, multiple speeding tickets or reckless driving.
- Doesn’t insure daily drivers. Despite its flexible driving policy, Hagerty probably won’t cover you if you use your car for work or errands on a daily basis.