Grundy classic car insurance review July 2020
Break free from mileage restrictions and deductibles, while protecting all your cars on one policy.
- Get a quote if you own a collector or modified car.
- Pick something else if you use your classic car daily.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||Email, Phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Cover all household vehicles on one policy
- Superior customer satisfaction ratings
- No mileage limits
- No deductibles in most states
- Must have fewer than two violations on your driving record
- Must own another vehicle for daily use
- Doesn’t handle claims directly
- Potential website errors when getting quotes
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Grundy is the insurance company for collectors, and its classic car insurance offers benefits that reflect the company’s focus. For instance, you can get inflation protection that could protect your car despite rising market and repair prices.
Another major benefit is the option to insure all your vehicles on the same policy. This makes coverage convenient for all your daily drivers and classic cars. Plus, you can manage all vehicles with one company, a benefit most classic car insurers won’t offer.
On the downside, you need a nearly spotless driving record to qualify for coverage. Also, you have to file claims through the underwriters, which may be Philadelphia Insurance Companies, AIG or Safeco depending on your policy. Try finding out your underwriter’s claim information before an accident happens.
Find the best blend of benefits and coverage for your classic by weighing your classic car insurance options
What classic car insurance coverage does Grundy offer?
Grundy provides the standard coverage you’d expect to stay fully protected on the road, including:
- Property damage liability. Covers repairs or the cost to buy another vehicle if you damage someone else’s car or property. You can opt for liability limits up to $1 million.
- Bodily injury liability. Pays for the medical expenses of others injured in an accident you caused. Plus, protect yourself from court fees if you get sued.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Covers repairs to your car even if the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance
- Personal injury protection (PIP). If your state requires medical coverage, PIP covers you if you’re injured in an accident and need coverage for medical bills, lost income or childcare. It applies whether or not you caused the accident.
- Collision. Make repairs to your car without paying out of pocket, even if you caused the damage.
- Comprehensive. Pay for damage from theft, vandalism, weather or any other named cause in the policy that’s unrelated to a car collision.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Grundy provide?
Grundy gives you the option for extra coverage that may be worth your while, depending on how you use your car. Consider these:
- Agreed value replacement. When applying for coverage, send pictures to get an estimate of your car’s value. Then, come to an agreement on the amount Grundy pays out if an accident damages your car beyond repair.
- Inflation protection. Add this option to make sure you can pay for car repairs even if repair costs are affected by increasing market prices.
- Trip interruption. Get reimbursed up to $600 for hotels, meals and transportation if you get stuck away from home due to a breakdown.
- Towing and labor. Pay for up to $250 in towing and labor costs if your car breaks down on the road.
- Spare parts. Protect the car parts you keep on hand for speedy repairs with up to $500 in coverage.
What types of classic vehicles does Grundy cover?
This classic car insurer simplifies its criteria for vehicles it covers to:
- Classic cars. Grundy covers any car that’s 25 years old or older.
- Collector cars. Nearly any modern muscle car or exotic car can qualify.
- Modified cars. Cars modified with high-performance engines, suspensions or body alterations can get coverage.
What discounts can I get with Grundy?
Grundy doesn’t specify any discounts it offers for car insurance coverage. But classic car insurance tends to cost much less than standard car insurance anyway, sometimes up to 40% less.
Pros and cons of Grundy classic car insurance
- No mileage limits. Though Grundy doesn’t cover your car for daily driving, it does allow pleasure driving around town.
- No deductibles in most states. Imagine getting repairs done without drawing anything from your bank account, whether or not the damage is your fault.
- Will cover all your household vehicles. Grundy offers the convenience and luxury of insuring all your classics and daily drivers under one policy with agreed value coverage.
- High liability coverage. You can choose up to $1 million in liability coverage, a limit typically only offered to business vehicles. This high limit could come in handy especially if you insure your daily drivers, which raises the risk for liability claims.
- Highly rated by customers. Hundreds of customers give Grundy positive reviews on Trustpilot, suggesting the company’s high customer satisfaction.
- Only insures safe drivers. If you’ve experienced two or more driving violations or accidents in the last five years, you won’t qualify for coverage. We were denied a quote when we answered yes to having previous claims in the quoting process.
- Potential problems with online quotes. While this might not always happen, we experienced an error message when submitting an online quote.
- Doesn’t handle claims directly. You have to file your claim with your policy’s direct underwriter, rather than using a claims service from Grundy. This could complicate the process since you have to find the right policy and contact info.
Grundy customer reviews and complaints
Grundy Insurance Agency is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and holds an A+ rating with the organization, as of June 3, 2020. The company also sees an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot. That score is determined by over 900 positive customer reviews.
How to apply for Grundy classic car insurance
You can apply for car insurance from Grundy either online or by phone. Move through your application form by filling in details for these sections:
- On the main website, click to get a quote for your classic car or all your vehicles at once. Or start the process by calling 866-338-4006, option 1.
- Answer three initial questions that qualify you and your car for coverage. Submit your answers.
- Fill in all personal and vehicle details, including your estimated car value. Click to get a quote.
- Answer any additional questions about your vehicle, driving record, chosen coverage and other drivers if prompted
- Verify all the details on your application and receive your quote.
- If you agree to the terms and conditions, sign the policy documents. You’ll need your credit card or bank account information to make your first payment.
- Start your policy on the date agreed upon.