Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Group accident insurance
See if this insurance is right for your business and employees.
Accident insurance offers benefits beyond health insurance after an accident. Buying into a group plan for your employees protects them in an accident in, or outside, the workplace.
- Compare multiple providers
- Calculate how much coverage you need
- Get a quote in 2 minutes
Get a FREE life insurance quote
|What's Your Birthdate?|
|Where Do You Live?|
|What Is Your Gender?|
Why should I offer group accident insurance?
Offering extended coverage for your employees ensures they get money to supplement any other income after an accident. Health insurance usually stops at medical bills, but accident insurance can cover almost any expense they need.
Policyholders can use payout for loss of income, mortgage, rent, medical expenses or any other financial need. Other benefits of group accident insurance include:
- Benefits usually don’t depend on income or health.
- Family often included as part of the plan.
What does a group policy cover?
Depending on the insurance company you choose and the policy your employees pay for, benefits can include costs from:
- Ambulance and air lift
- Emergency room
- Injuries such as lacerations, fracture and dislocations
- Hospital stays
- Adaptive home and vehicle
- Adult companion lodging
- Child injury due to organized sport accident
- Emergency dental
- Eye injury
- Physician’s visit
- Traumatic brain injury
Depending on your provider, you may be covered for:
- Diagnostic testing
- Family care
- Gunshot wound
- Joint replacement
What features should you look for in group personal accident coverage?
The following are some of the key features to look for in a personal accident policy;
- Flexibility. Find a policy that can best meet the needs of your diverse employees, considering age, gender and lifestyle.
- Exclusions. Find out what the insurance company won’t cover.
- Coverage area. Find out if coverage extends abroad or outside a general region.
- Cost. Coverage can cost anywhere from $5 for an individual, to $30 for a family.
What riders are offered in group accident coverage?
If you’re looking for extra coverage, some insurance companies offer optional riders, including:
- Wellness rider. Include benefit payment up to $150 a year to complete wellness procedures or screenings.
- Accidental death and dismemberment. Get additional payments in the case of accidental death, dismemberment and catastrophic loss or if you need an accommodation to your home or vehicle.
- Hospital confinement for sickness. Get coverage for each day you’re in the hospital due to sickness.
- Disability. Payment if you become disabled and unable to work from 26 to 52 weeks.
Is group accident insurance worth it?
Though it depends on your situation, group accident insurance could be worth offering to your employees. The cost is low and payouts are relatively easy to get. Payouts can be as high as $10,000 for expensive accidents, or as little as a few hundred dollars.
Accident insurance is like disability insurance in that you get paid after an injury. However, you’ll get a bigger payout with disability insurance. They often are used together, giving you more income if an accident occurs.
Getting extra payouts outside your health insurance after an accident can be a big deal. If you’re looking to add group accident insurance to your benefits package, compare insurance plans to find the best one for your business.
Because accidents can sometimes have fatal consequences, it may also be worth your time to compare life insurance companies.
Frequently asked question
More guides on Finder
VA life insurance
VA life insurance might be a good fit for veterans with health problems, or heavy tobacco users — but healthy veterans may be better off looking elsewhere.
Life insurance portability vs. conversion
Leaving your job doesn’t have to mean leaving your group life insurance behind.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Is supplemental disability insurance right for me?
If you’re concerned your group disability insurance won’t replace enough of your income if you experience a disability, you can buy supplemental disability insurance.
Is credit disability insurance right for me?
Get your loan payments covered when you experience a disability and can’t work, but with limited coverage.
Do I need disability insurance?
Who long-term or short-term disability insurance works best for, and pros and cons to buying both.
How much will I get from disability insurance?
Disability insurance typically pays out between 40% and 80% of your income, but will depend on the type of policy you have.
Heacock Classic car insurance review October 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Horror stories you could actually insure against
13 best horror stories where insurance could have saved the day.
Short-term vs. long-term disability insurance
Short- and long-term disability insurance offers coverage for different amounts of time and replaces a different percentage of your income, but you can buy both if you can afford it.
Ask an Expert