Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Where to order groceries with food stamps
Instacart has partnered with Aldi to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits on same-day delivery and pickup orders.
If you’re a SNAP recipient in Georgia, California, Florida, Illinois or Pennsylvania, you’ll soon be able to use your Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card to order groceries without leaving home. Instacart is rolling out the service in the coming weeks through over 60 Aldi stores in Georgia, with locations in the other four states to follow.
SNAP is a federal program that subsidizes groceries like fresh produce, milk and bread, as well as other items like diapers and formula to low-income individuals and families in the US. SNAP beneficiaries receive an EBT card to use at grocery stores. More than 12% of the population receives benefits — and more Americans than ever shop online for groceries since the pandemic began, creating a need for grocers to accommodate customers with alternative payment methods.
How to use your SNAP EBT benefits on Instacart
You’ll need to shop from a nearby Aldi on Instacart to cash in your SNAP benefits. Here’s how it’ll work when it launches soon:
- Sign up or log into the Instacart app.
- Select Aldi and begin shopping.
- Add SNAP-eligible items to your cart.
- Go to checkout, and select how much of your benefits to allocate to the order.
Other online grocery services that accept SNAP EBT
While Instacart is the newest service to accept SNAP, it’s not the first. Apply your SNAP benefits to purchases from these other pickup and delivery sites:
- Amazon. SNAP cardholders in all states except Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine and Montana can use EBT to purchase groceries from Amazon.com and Amazon Fresh. Some Whole Foods items are eligible through Amazon Grocery delivery.
- FreshDirect. Beneficiaries in select Bronx ZIP codes can use their EBT card and receive free delivery, but they must meet the $30 order minimum.
- Kroger. Though you can’t use your benefits for delivery, you can pay for order pickup at all locations.
- Walmart. In 44 states, you can pay for grocery pickup or delivery with your EBT card at checkout. In all remaining states except Hawaii, you can use your EBT card at pickup.
- ShopRite. Get groceries delivered and paid for with EBT in these states: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Some stores only allow EBT for pickup orders.
Can I use SNAP benefits to cover delivery fees?
No. You can only apply SNAP EBT funds to your order and not toward any fees, including for delivery. This goes for other grocery delivery services like Amazon and Walmart as well.
More guides on Finder
Which credit cards have gotten better during COVID-19?
Earn more rewards on select categories or get an extension of some travel perks.
Top 5 Amazon Prime alternatives
These membership programs can save you money on speedy delivery.
Where to buy alcohol online — and is it legal?
Your glass never has to run dry with these online delivery services.
Where to buy meat online
Keep your fridge stocked with quality cuts from trusted brands.
Find N95 and KN95 face masks for sale online
See our list of where to buy verified N95, KN95, 3M and respirator masks online, including made-in-USA options. Page is updated daily with in-stock masks.
Financial assistance for people affected by the coronavirus
Where to find relief if the COVID-19 outbreak hurts your income.
Target to Offer Same-Day Delivery of Non-Grocery Items from Store App
In an attempt to bite into the Amazon Prime Now market, Target will integrate its Shipt same-day delivery service into its main app.
Easily order groceries and takeout online
See our top picks and top deals for ordering groceries and takeout online.
The best standing desks for your work grind
Discover the benefits of working at a standing desk, along with our top eight retailers to get shopping online.
Top 6 sites to buy jojoba oil online and why you should be using it
This magical beauty potion does wonders for the skin and hair. And we have the details on where you can get some at a discount.
Ask an Expert