Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card review
Get 2x miles on Delta flights, first checked bag free and more.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card if you fly Delta at least three times each year.
- Pick another Delta card if you fly four round trips or more with Delta.
- Apply with good to excellent credit.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 2x
for the first year ($99 thereafter)
17.24% to 26.24%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($99 thereafter)|
|Welcome offer||Limited Time Offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer Ends 8/3/2022.|
|Rewards||2x miles on Delta, US shipping, select US advertising and at restaurants and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||17.24% to 26.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card comes with a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $99 for every year thereafter, and a rewards program where you earn 2x miles on purchases you make directly with the airline, 2x on advertising in select US media and US shipping purchases. You also earn 2x miles on dining at restaurants.
Other rewarding features include a solid welcome offer. Until April 14, you can earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on your card in your first 3 months of account opening. These points are worth an average of $1,050 based on Finder’s most recent valuations and are a strong value for the card’s price.
Beyond all these perks, you’ll find Main Cabin 1 priority boarding and free first checked bags on Delta flights, both features for up to nine passengers on your reservation. This makes it a solid card for any business owner who frequently travels with Delta.
How to apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Complete the application with required information about you and your business.
- Confirm your information and submit the application.
American Express offers conditional approval online, which means you could see a decision in minutes if your information is accurate and complete.
How long will it take to get my Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card?
After approval, you’ll receive your card in three to four business days through UPS.
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card benefits
- Welcome offer. Until April 14, earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on your card in the first 3 months of card membership.
- Earn Delta SkyMiles. Earn 2x miles on Delta purchases, on dining at restaurants and on US advertising at select media and US shipping purchases.
- Intro annual fee. You’ll pay a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Starting the second year, you’ll pay an annual fee of $99.
- Delta flight credit. Spend $10,000 in purchases on your card and you’ll receive a $100 flight credit toward your next Delta flight.
- Priority boarding. The card entitles you to Main Cabin 1 priority boarding on Delta and Delta Connection flights for up to nine passengers per reservation. For everyone else, the price of priority boarding is $15.
- First checked bag free. Save up to $50 round trip with Delta for up to nine passengers traveling on the same reservation.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. When traveling abroad, you can use your card freely without worry of international fees on your transaction.
- 20% statement credit for in-flight purchases. With the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card, you’ll get a statement credit equal to 20% of your in-flight Delta purchases on eligible meals, alcoholic beverages and audio headsets.
- Baggage insurance. Pay your entire fare with the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card, and your carry-ons are insured for up to $1,250 and your checked bags for up to $500. Eligibility and benefits vary by card.
- Car rental insurance. When you use your card to pay for your car rental, you’re covered against damage and theft.
How much are SkyMiles worth?
The value of SkyMiles varies based on the service or product you’re redeeming them for. To find the strongest value for your SkyMiles, divide the cash value listed next to the miles required. The higher the number, the stronger the redemption value.
Here’s what you’ll see with top redemption options:
- Redeem 35,700 SkyMiles for a $250 gift card — a value of 0.7 cents a mile.
- Redeem 26,600 miles to buy a Samsonite 20-inch carry-on worth $150 to $200 — a value of around 0.65 cents per mile.
- Redeem 258,200 miles to buy an Apple MacBook Pro worth $1,299 — a value of 0.5 cents per mile.
- Redeem 10,000 miles or more toward a $130 round-trip domestic Delta flight, plus taxes and fees — a value of 1.3 cents per mile.
Comparing products and services in Delta’s SkyMiles Marketplace, it’s clear that flights offer the highest value per mile. To make the most of your Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card, redeem your miles for airfare on future travels.
What to watch out for
- No balance transfers. Typically, business credit cards allow balance transfers. However, that’s not the case with Delta SkyMiles® business cards.
- Annual fee. American Express offers an intro annual fee for your first year, but you’ll pay $99 each year after to use the card.
- Steep penalty for late payments. You face a penalty APR of 29.99% variable on all balances if you make two or more late payments in a 12-month period, don’t pay the minimum payment by the due date or make a returned payment.
Compare business travel credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What kind of business is the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card good for?
This is a decent card for small businesses whose employees are loyal to Delta Air Lines but tend to spend less than $25,000 a year on flights.
The card’s value shines when you spend on travel with Delta. You’ll earn 2x miles, avoid the costs of your first checked bag and get 20% back in statement credit for in-flight purchases. The miles you earn with the card stack with the 5x miles you earn as a SkyMiles member for a total of 7x miles. And if you reach Medallion status, you can earn even more.
If your business spends more than $25,000 on travel with Delta each year, look into the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card or compare Delta’s other business credit cards to see which fits your needs.
What should I know before I apply?
When you apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card, you’ll provide personal and business details that include your:
- Business name and address.
- Founding date and industry type.
- Company structure and number of employees.
- Annual revenue and monthly spending.
- Federal Tax ID or Employer Identification Number.
- Personal information, including your annual income.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good business credit score of 670 or higher to get the lowest APR on purchases and to get a higher credit limit.
What’s my likelihood of being approved?
You have a better chance of being approved if you have a good business credit score of 670 or higher. In case you haven’t established a business credit history yet, American Express will make its decision based on your personal credit history.
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card reviews and complaintsDelta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card customers love that they can get their first checked bag free and the SkyMiles they can earn.
American Express is accredited by the Better Business Bureau, which gives the company an A+ rating and 1.5 out of 5 stars based on over 180 customer reviews. On Trustpilot, the credit card company earns a meager 1.9 out of 5 rating based on over 200 customer reviews. Most complaints refer to American Express’s poor customer service, with customers unhappy with how difficult it was to receive missing statement credit and miles, issues carrying out balance transfers and problems disputing fraudulent charges.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card offers useful perks to loyal Delta Air Lines customers. Among them, your first checked bag is free, you’re eligible for Main Cabin 1 priority boarding and every purchase you make earns miles you can redeem for flights, seat upgrades, gift cards and more.
But if you spend more than $25,000 on Delta flights a year, consider the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card instead, which offers stronger rewards.
How has this card changed over time?
|Date||Before card update||After card update|
|March 3, 2022||Welcome offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.||Welcome offer: 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in your first 3 months|
|September 16, 2021||Welcome offer: 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months||Welcome offer: 50,000 bonus miles and a $50 statement credit after you spend $2,000 in your first 3 months|
How we determined the value of Delta Skymiles
To determine the average value of a Delta Skymile, we looked at the equivalent dollar value a redemption option would cost in the Delta Skymiles program. We calculated this average across all redemption options available through Delta to reach the approximate value you can expect when redeeming these points on average. In this case, the average value of a single Skymile came out to 1.4 cents per point.
Remember that your points could be worth more or less depending on what you redeem them on, so this figure should be used as a general guide.
Editorial note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Insurance benefit note: Eligibility and benefit level varies by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.