GoAuto car insurance review July 2021
Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re considered a high-risk driver.
- Pick something else if you need wide coverage.
- Only drivers in Louisiana, Nevada and Ohio can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly, custom|
- Get help filing an SR-22 form
- Opt to pay in full, monthly or monthly with a down payment
- Enjoy an intuitive app that helps from buying to filing claims
- Policy limits stay low, such as what’s state-required
- Add-ons cost more for less coverage than competitors
- You’ll find basic website details
- You can only buy coverage in three states
- Its online customer service is unresponsive
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Transfer companies|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
GoAuto works best if you’re looking for basic coverage and need help filing an SR-22 form with your state. While the company does offer a few additional options, you might find the amount of coverage lacking for the price, especially compared to major car insurance companies.
How to apply for GoAuto car insurance
Buy a policy with this insurer online or by phone. If you prefer to call, you can find agents in your area on GoAuto’s online office locator tool. To apply online:
- Click Get a quote and enter your basic personal details.
- Confirm the preloaded data about drivers and your car.
- Fill in missing info about driver, cars and previous insurance. Click Continue.
- Choose your coverage add-ons and limits. Click Continue.
- Confirm your details, enter your payment information and start your policy.
- Alternatives to GoAuto
What discounts can I get with GoAuto?
The company doesn’t list any rate reductions on its website, but we saw these discounts when getting an online quote:
- Transfer companies. Switching insurance companies? GoAuto welcomes you with a price cut on your policy.
- Military. Get rewarded on your car insurance policy for your service for your country.
- Homeowner. Watch your premium drop for your car insurance if you own the space you live in.
What insurance coverage and add-ons does GoAuto offer?
You can find all the basics and a few extra types of coverage when buying from GoAuto:
- Property damage liability. Pay for damage you cause to someone else’s car or property.
- Bodily injury liability. Pay for the other drivers medical bills or your court costs if you’re sued after an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Cover the cost of your car’s repairs or your injuries, even if the other driver can’t cover you through their insurance.
- Medical payments. Add an extra layer of protection for your injuries after an accident that supplements any health insurance you have.
- Collision. Get peace of mind about damage to your car if you’re at-fault in an accident. Though this coverage can raise your premium significantly, it easily pays for itself after an accident.
- Comprehensive. Know you’re protected from car damage caused by theft, vandalism, storms or any other noncollision event named on your policy.
- Towing. Let GoAuto repay your towing fees after an accident up to $50 with this add-on.
- Rental reimbursement. Opt for your policy to repay rental car expenses while you wait for your car to get accident repairs.
- Original manufacturer parts. Choose to repair your car with original parts for an added cost.
GoAuto car insurance reviews and complaints
GoAuto holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of July 13, 2020, although the company isn’t accredited with the bureau. It’s received three complaints on BBB in the past three years with a handful of negative customer reviews to match. Of those, the complaints center on billing issues or difficulty getting a response or estimate for claims.
In addition, GoAuto holds a 4.55 rating on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. The index compares a company’s complaints to other companies of similar size in the industry. This rating is well above the national standard of 1.00, showing that GoAuto receives a high number of complaints for its business size.
Alternatives to GoAuto
GoAuto car insurance quotes
Pros and cons of GoAuto car insurance
- Flexible payment options. You can set your payment amount and date by choosing equal payments, a down payment, pay in full or the farthest first payment date available.
- Helps with SR-22s. GoAuto considers drivers who need to send this proof of insurance form to their state departments.
- Intuitive app. You can manage the majority of your policy from the app, including getting a quote or buying, accessing policy documents and filing a claim. Not all local insurers offer this convenient feature.
- Coverage not listed on its website. You have to go through the quoting process to find out what coverage is offered.
- Only available in three states. You can only buy a policy in Louisiana, Nevada or Ohio.
- Low limits. Low limits can leave you without enough protection after an accident, especially for liability coverage.
- Slow online customer service. When we reached out with questions about its policy and discounts, we waited several days and had to call for an answer.
- Add-ons not on par with competitors. This insurer’s towing and rental reimbursement add-ons can cost more than other companies for less coverage. For example, you might see lower-than-standard limits on towing, where Geico offers an entire suite of roadside services for a similar price.