Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare car insurance for Getaround car owners
Enjoy robust insurance provided by Getaround to protect your car.
Getaround’s standard insurance provides well-rounded coverage for your car, including collision and comprehensive. But if you’d like extra protection, you could opt for commercial car insurance coverage to fill in gaps like personal belongings coverage.
What does Getaround’s insurance policy provide?
Getaround protects owners who lend out their cars to the platform. The coverage applies when a renter uses the vehicle from beginning to end. It includes liability, collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Liability.Coverage up to $1 million per accident for renter liability, third-party liability and property damage combined.
- Comprehensive and collision.Compensation up to the actual cash value of the car. This coverage includes car theft, vandalism, weather damage and any damage to the car during an accident.
- Bodily injury liability.Pays at least $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident or the state minimum during the waiting period. Covers at least $1 million during the ride.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.Varies by state requirements, usually offering between $25,000 to $30,000 per person and $50,000 to $60,000 per accident. Uninsured doesn’t apply to states with no-fault insurance laws. Also, owners in California and Oregon who carry more coverage than is provided by Getaround aren’t eligible to use Getaround to rent their cars out.
Getaround also includes coverage that protects your car’s drivers, though coverage varies by state:
- Personal injury.This protection is required in Texas and Oregon from Getaround. In Oregon, renters receive $15,000 for medical, $3,000 per month for injury-related income loss, $30 per day for loss of services, $5,000 for funeral costs and up to $750 for child care. In Texas, the coverage limit goes up to $2,500.
- Medical payments.Coverage for renters up to $1,000 as a supplement to health insurance.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
What should I expect with Getaround insurance?
Your car’s covered for your state minimum requirements while it’s rented. Here’s what you’re covered for when your car’s out on a job.
|Coverage type||Covered by Getaround||Add to your personal policy|
|Liability — bodily injury and property damage combined||Up to $1 million per accident||Not needed|
|Collision||Up to actual cash value of car||Not needed|
|Comprehensive||Up to actual cash value of car||Not needed|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Varies by state, usually 25/50 or 30/60||Not needed|
|Medical payments||Up to $1,000||Not needed|
|Personal injury protection (PIP) (Texas and Oregon only)||Texas — up to $2,500
Oregon — up to $15,000 for medical, $5,000 for funeral, $3,000/month for income loss, $30/day for loss of services, $25/day for child care (up to $750 max.)
|Liability when not renting||Not covered||Recommended|
Does Getaround insurance cover a financed or leased car?
The company is a bit vague when it describes if you can rent out cars you’re financing. Getaround mentions you can rent out a leased car as long as you’re abiding by your lease terms.
The same would likely apply for a car you’re financing since you’re only a partial owner of the vehicle until the loan is paid.
Can I use Getaround with a car I don’t own?
Using other cars for Getaround, such as a borrowed vehicle without your name listed on the title, is less clear. The company mentions that you must have “all the necessary rights, consents, and authority to permit the vehicle you submit to be used.”
If asked, you must provide documentation of your car ownership via the legal title of the car. You would need to confirm with a Getaround representative how this works with a borrowed friend’s or family member’s car.
How much does Getaround insurance cost?
Getaround provides well-rounded coverage in its 40% commission rate.
Additional protection through a commercial car insurance policy costs anywhere from $750 to $1,200 annually. Lower that cost by only purchasing coverage that fills in gaps from Getaround’s insurance, such as coverage for personal belongings.
What kind of car insurance do I need for Getaround?
Getaround covers all the basics while your car’s rented. Since you’re not covered while your car is in your garage, keep your basic coverage while you’re driving it. Just got a new car? Find out how much insurance you need.
Renting out your car may demand extra coverage to protect you if the renter gets into an accident. If you opt out of Getaround’s coverage, consider some of the commercial coverage you may need:
Bodily injury liability
Pays medical expenses for the third-party driver and passengers involved in an accident caused by the renter.
Property damage liability
Covers vehicle and other property damage for the other driver involved when your renter causes the accident.
Provides coverage for noncollision accidents like theft, weather damage or hitting an animal.
Protects your own car from damage when hitting another car or object.
Covers your car and the renter’s medical bills when the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
Agreed value coverage.
You could opt for a commercial policy that covers the MSRP value of your car without depreciation. This is ideal for luxury cars or high-end vehicles.
Compare commercial car insurance alternatives to Getaround insurance
How does Getaround insurance work when filing a claim?
The renter needs to notify Getaround after an accident. However, you’ll want to ensure proper reporting and oversee damage claims for your car.
- Confirm accident details and insurance information from the renter and third party involved.
- Call 866-438-2768 to notify the company.
- Submit accident details as the car owner via Getaround’s help center.
- A claims team member contacts you to appraise car damage. You may receive a text message to download the Getaround Fix app as part of the damage claims process.
- Submit any details and photos of car damage in the Fix app, if applicable. On average, you’ll receive an estimate for your claim within three business hours.
When does Getaround car insurance apply to accidents?
The company’s insurance applies while the renter is using your car. These claims are filed with Getaround directly and won’t need your personal auto policy. You’ll get reimbursed for claims or penalties from the driver, such as smoking in your car, from Getaround. If you have a commercial car policy, you may need to contact your insurance.
What should I watch out for?
The company does have a few caveats to providing coverage:
- Report an accident within 48 hours. Notify Getaround of any damage within 48 hours of the end of a renter’s trip. If you don’t, you may face forfeiture on your insurance coverage.
- Wear and tear. The company offers no coverage for normal wear and tear, including routine maintenance like brake pad changes. In some cases determined by the company, Getaround will provide coverage for excessive wear and tear caused by the renter.
- Minor car damage. Small dents, dings and window chips are considered normal wear and tear. However, Getaround may make exceptions for excessive damage.
- Members-only coverage. The company only covers its members. Drivers who use your vehicle while under another renter’s account won’t get accident coverage.
- Personal use rental. Getaround only provides protection to renters needing a car for personal use, not commercial use, racing or other events.
- Personal belongings not covered. Getaround doesn’t cover any personal belongings in your car. If you leave your laptop in the car and it’s stolen, for example, you’ll be ineligible to make a claim. Consider removing your belongings from the car before renting it out.
Car owners using Getaround have access to fairly wide insurance coverage. However, you may want increased limits for specialty or high-dollar vehicles and coverage for personal belongings. In this case, compare commercial car insurance providers that offer the protection you need.
Frequently asked questions about Getaround insurance
More guides on Finder
Thanksgiving safety stats
Each year, Thanksgiving Day sees twice as many house fires as usual — mostly caused by this one source. Find out how to protect yourself.
Compare tuition insurance
If your child gets sick or injured and has to take time away from college, tuition insurance can reimburse you for what you already paid.
Pawp pet insurance alternative review Nov 2020
Get $3K in rainy-day funds for up to six of your lovable woofs and meows.
Denied life insurance
Learn the common health reasons that lead to denials and how to get life insurance anyway.
Ultimate pet care guide for pet owners
100+ tips from pet experts for pet owners
Asbestos and home insurance
Learn when your home insurance policy would and wouldn’t pay to remove this building material.
Life insurance portability vs. conversion
Leaving your job doesn’t have to mean leaving your group life insurance behind.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Camino Financial business loans review
Get a small business loan for your company up to $400,000, but watch out for high costs.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Ask an Expert