Geico renters insurance review
Expect a standard renters policy from coverage to customer service to rates.
- Get a quote if you’re already a Geico customer or are curious about rates.
- Pick something else if you want extra coverage and features.
- All kinds of renters can apply.
All 50 states
- 24/7 online claims and account management
- Provider transparency
- Insurance bundling
- Policies not underwritten by Geico
- Coverage and experience varies
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Geico renters insurance sticks to the standard coverage you’d expect from any renters policy. Because the company doesn’t underwrite these policies itself, your experience with customer service or claims can vary based on your area and the underwriting insurance company.
What renters insurance coverage does Geico offer?
Geico renters policies can include a variety of coverage if they’re offered in your area. Those include:
- Personal liability for legal expenses
- Damage to property of others
- Medical payments
- Additional living expenses
- Personal property
- Scheduled personal property
- Contents replacement cost
- Water sewer backup
- Home business liability
- Business merchandise for storing business products at home
- Earthquake or wind and hail — not covered in every area
What renters insurance discounts can I get with Geico?
A few standard discounts you might see:
- Theft alarms
- Living in a secure community
- Smoke alarms
Pros and cons of Geico renters insurance
- Make policy changes online. Some renters policies don’t let you update your coverage or address online, but Geico does.
- Provider transparency. Geico lists all the companies that underwrite its renters policies and lets you know up front that coverage varies by provider.
- Insurance bundling. Geico offers multiple insurance products that you can manage with one account.
- Policies not underwritten by Geico. Geico offers this coverage backed by multiple underwriters.
- Coverage and experience varies. Because policies aren’t directly through Geico, the coverage offered and customer experience may differ based on the provider.
Which providers underwrite Geico renters policies?
Geico offers policies backed by a variety of insurance companies, and several are popular names. Those include:
- First Hawaii
- The Hartford
- Hawaii Insurance and Guaranty Company, Limited
- Heritage Property and Casualty Insurance Co.
- Homeowners of America
- Island Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Mountain Valley
- National General
- New Jersey Skylands
- Privilege Underwrites Reciprocal Exchange
- RLI (Hawaii)
- Security First
- Tower National General
Case study: Geico renters insurance through Assurant
Car insurance Publisher
I signed up for a Massachusetts renters policy with Geico because it was required by my apartment complex. The policy was underwritten by Assurant, but you can see most of the details of your policy from your Geico account. The online account management makes it easy to see your bill and coverage, though you’ll have to log in to the Assurant portal to cancel coverage.
My policy was $146 for a 12-month policy, or $12 per month, with lower rates for bundling renters coverage with my car insurance. The policy included a $500 deductible and $10,000 personal property, $100,000 personal liability, $1,000 medical payments and $2,000 loss of use coverage. Some of that coverage was included automatically.
How to apply for Geico renters insurance
Apply for your Geico renters policy online, by phone or even through limited local offices.
- From the renters webpage, enter your ZIP code and click Start quote.
- Select your reason for getting a quote. Skip or click Next.
- Enter your personal information and hit Next after each question.
- Once you’ve answered the questions and read the disclosure, then agree to the terms.
- Receive your quote, review your coverage and policy details. If you like what you see, click Purchase.
- Enter your payment information and finalize your policy.
Phone. Call 800-841-2964 to get a quote from a representative.
Local agent. Contact a local agent by searching through the agent locator, if one is available near you.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance?
You’ll need to know a few basic points to complete your application:
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Current policy number, if known
- Home type
- Number of claims in the last three years
- Acknowledge aggressive pets
- Policy start date
- Coverage needed
- Bank account or credit card info
Alternatives to Geico
A Geico renters policy might work well if you use this provider for its other insurance products and want the convenience of managing policies in one place. Otherwise, consider other renters insurers if you’re looking for wider coverage or top-rated service.