Geico motorcycle insurance review 2021
Cheers to saving money with low rates and discounts to protect your bike.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you need a no-fuss policy with a variety of discounts.
- Pick something else if you’d prefer more comprehensive coverage options.
- Most drivers can find coverage with Geico motorcycle insurance.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- 24/7 customer support.
- Low rates beat many of its competitors.
- Hefty discounts make a positive dent in your premium.
- Flexible payment options, including installment plans.
- Not all discounts available in every state.
- Few added benefits or coverage options.
- Mixed customer ratings.
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Geico is known for its low rates, and its motorcycle insurance comes with a host of available discounts that are stackable and easy to qualify for, if they’re available in your state.
But it may not be the best fit you’re looking to tailor your policy with add-ons. It’s surprisingly low on benefits and perks we see with other motorcycle insurers, especially compared to the national companies in the same league. Geico might be a good pick if you just want basic coverage with low rates though.
How to get Geico motorcycle insurance
You can apply for Geico’s motorcycle insurance online, by phone or through a local agent.
- Go to Geico’s motorcycle insurance page. Type in your ZIP code and click Start quote.
- If you don’t already have a Geico auto policy, complete such personal information as your name, home address and date of birth. Click Continue.
- Enter your motorcycle’s VIN number or make and model details. Choose whether to add another motorcycle. Click No to go to the next section.
- Provide your information and choose whether to add a secondary operator. Click No to go to the next section.
- Confirm the primary motorcycle operator. Then fill in your driving history, including accidents and violations. Click Next.
- Receive quote options, including a Build Your Own payment option. Adjust your limits, deductible amounts and additional coverage until you’re satisfied. Then click Continue to purchase.
- Confirm your start date and policy details. Click Next.
- Enter your payment information and sign any necessary documents. Once finished, you’ll see a confirmation page.
What info do I need to apply?
Apply for motorcycle insurance more quickly with your personal and vehicle details that include:
- Your home address
- Your driving history
- Other Geico insurance policy information, if you have it
- Motorcycle details, such as the make and model, year and the VIN
- Bank account details, your debit card or a credit card for payment
To reach a Geico sales or service agent, call 800-442-9253. Support is available daily from 2 a.m. to 12 midnight ET.
Go to Find a local agent on Geico’s site to search for an agent in your area.
What discounts can I get with Geico?
- Transfer to Geico. Save up to 10% just for switching to Geico.
- Multiple motorcycles. Insure more than one motorcycle to get up to 10% off your premium.
- Bundling policies. Get a discount for also insuring your RV or car with Geico. You’ll shave up to 5% off your premiums with a Geico auto policy.
- Experienced riders. If you’re most comfortable on the road, you might qualify for a discount of up to 10%.
- Safety course. Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation or Military Safety Course for up to 10% off your premium.
- Customer loyalty. Earn up to 10% off your next policy period when you renew your motorcycle insurance with Geico.
- Safety instructor. Become a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor to get up to 20% off your premium.
What motorcycle insurance coverage does Geico offer?
Geico provides standard coverage, though it offers a no-fuss policy when it comes to add-ons and features.
- Bodily injury liability. Provides protection against personal injuries, including legal fees if a case goes to court.
- Property damage liability. Covers the cost of damages to another person’s property in an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Protects you and your passengers from expensive medical bills related to an accident.
- Collision. Pays for motorcycle damages when your bike is hit or hits another vehicle.
- Comprehensive. Covers losses involved with noncollision incidents, like fire, theft or weather-related accidents.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. Protects you from drivers without adequate insurance coverage after an accident you’re not at fault for.
- Accessory coverage. A perk of comprehensive or collision insurance, protects your saddlebags, backrests, seats, chrome pieces and CB radios. Collision also covers your motorcycle helmet.
Alternatives to Geico bike insurance
What types of motorcycles does Geico cover?
Geico insures many types of motorcycles that include:
- Standard motorcycles
- Sport bikes
- Dirt bikes
- Touring bikes
- Enduro bikes
- Some customized motorcycles
Pros and cons of Geico motorcycle insurance
- Low rates. Geico is known for its rates that average lower than those across the auto industry.
- Many discounts available. Most offer savings of 10% or more, making it easy to lower your rates by combining those you’re eligible for.
- Flexible payment options. Pay up front; monthly; or in four, six or nine installments.
- 24/7 customer support. Contact Geico anytime online, through an app, through live chat or by phone.
- Few coverage add-ons. Competitors offer more options tailored to your motorcycle needs, such as total loss coverage and enhanced injury protection.
- Mixed customer ratings. The BBB reports more than 1,000 resolved complaints in 2018. But other review sites give Geico high ratings.
- Discounts vary by state. Depending on your opportunities to save, you may not get the lowest premium for your area.
Frequently asked questions about Geico
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.