Geico car insurance review Jul 2020
A long list of discounts and easy online quotes could help you save time and money
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want a streamlined quote and claims process.
- Pick something else if you want personalized customer service.
- Cost-conscious drivers will like the many discounts.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Tons of discounts
- Innovative mobile app
- Easy repair process
- Low online customer service reviews
- Claims typically handled online only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 30%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Seat belt use, up to 15% discount|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
If you’re looking for a cheap provider and quick coverage, get a quote from Geico. It offers low rates and a variety of discounts for just about any driver. Plus, its website and streamlined app allow you to handle anything from signing up to filing a claim online.
But if personalized help with an assigned agent and the ability to have a face-to-face conversation is what you’re after, you’ll want to look elsewhere. Geico gets poor reviews for customer service, and claims are easier to file online without the help of an agent.
Geico monthly car insurance quotes
Geico’s known for its low rates, but that all depends on where you live. In some areas, you might find cheaper insurance from a smaller local insurer.
|18 year old man||$212||$990||$167|
|18 year old woman||$222||$639||$146|
|25 year old man||$78||$430||$71|
|25 year old woman||$78||$346||$64|
|35 year old man||$40||$258||$57|
|35 year old woman||$40||$253||$76|
|45 year old man||$38||$252||$57|
|45 year old woman||$40||$252||$76|
|56 year old man||$37||$258||$54|
|56 year old woman||$37||$252||$73|
What car insurance coverage can I get from Geico?
Geico offers a strong lineup of auto insurance, with policy options ranging from state minimums to everything you need to build a full-coverage policy.
- Bodily injury liability. Provides protection if you injure someone while operating your car.
- Collision. Pays for damage to your car when you collide with another car or object.
- Comprehensive. Pays for car repairs and replacement resulting from incidents other than collision.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps when your car breaks down and you’re in need of roadside repairs.
- Mechanical breakdown. Covers the cost of all mechanical repairs made to your car after your warranty expires.
- Medical payments. Pays for the medical expenses of the injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Uninsured motorists. Pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Geico offer?
Geico offers a selection of special programs to accommodate its customers. Here’s what you can expect if you choose Geico for auto insurance:
- 24-hour service. Get in touch with a Geico representative with 24/7 assistance by phone, online and through the app.
- Accident forgiveness. This program can be earned or purchased and it means your premiums won’t go up as a result of your first at-fault accident.
- Car buying service. Save money and get peace of mind through Geico’s certified dealer network and online tool to help you compare prices and specs.
- Mobile app. Geico’s mobile app features proof of insurance, a virtual assistant, bill pay and more.
- Nonowner insurance. You can get coverage for a vehicle you drive but don’t own.
- Repair assistance. Get personal assistance from a Geico representative and guaranteed repairs through one of Geico’s certified repair shops.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if you encounter a flat tire, lock yourself out of your vehicle and more.
What discounts can I get with Geico?
Geico’s generous car insurance discounts help make its prices extremely competitive. Discounts may not be available everywhere, so be sure to check with an agent when you get a quote.
- Affinity member. Members of over 500 organizations can receive discounted rates. This includes members of Navy Federal Credit Union.
- Driver safety course. Receive discounts for the completion of a defensive driving course.
- Federal employee discount. Discounts and premium reductions for current or former government employees.
- Good driver. Save up to 25% if you have a clean driving record for the past five years.
- Good student. Save up to 15% if you’re a student with a B average or better.
- Military. Special discounts and premium reductions for service members.
- Multipolicy. Save when you have multiple insurance policies with Geico.
- Multivehicle. Receive a discount when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Safe car. Receive up to 40% off if your vehicle is equipped with safety equipment.
- Senior discount. Special rates and renewal privileges for drivers over 50 with clean driving records.
How does Geico bundling work?
Geico offers standard options for bundling car insurance with other policies. Discounts vary based on which policies you bundle, but Geico is known for its steep savings and cheap policies overall. You can receive a discount for bundling these policies with your car insurance:
Other policies you can buy from Geico include:
- Collector auto
- Commercial auto
- Mexico auto
More Geico insurance guides
Pros and cons of Geico car insurance
- Many standard discounts. The insurer claims that it saves drivers more than $500 a year when they switch to Geico.
- Innovative mobile app. Use it to view your policy, submit a claim or even find the cheapest gas in your area.
- Easy repair process. If your car requires repairs after a collision, a claim adjuster will connect with you to explain the repair process and answer your questions.
- Low online customer service reviews. Savings can come at a cost, usually in the form of customer service — Geico sells policies direct to consumers and is thought to invest in advertising rather than staff.
- Claims typically handled online. You’re encouraged to submit claims through the website or app, which may be an issue if you prefer face-to-face service.
How to apply for Geico car insurance
Applying for auto insurance coverage with Geico is easy, and can be done in person, by phone or online. Here’s how to get started:
Geico has a network of local agents and regional offices to accommodate its customers. If you prefer to apply for coverage in person, visit the Geico website to locate your nearest agent.
You can also apply for coverage by phone anytime. Agents are available 24/7, 365 days a year. Simply call 800-207-7847 to speak with an agent.
Applying for coverage online is easy, and should only take about half an hour.
- Go to the Geico website.
- Enter your ZIP code to start a quote.
- Fill in your personal information, including name and address.
- Enter your vehicle information, including make, model and mileage.
- Fill in driver information, including full name, Social Security number and employment information.
- Review all details, enter your contact information, then click Get your quote.
- If you’re satisfied with the policy options, select Continue to purchase.
- Enter policy start date, confirm contact info, then click Next.
- Enter payment details and finalize your purchase.
Geico reviews and complaints
While Geico isn’t officially accredited on the Better Business Bureau website, it does hold an A+ rating as of February 2020. Despite its favorable rating, there are well over 3,000 customer complaints. Customers express frustration with billing issues, denied claims and unsolicited advertising.
However, this insurer ranks above average for overall satisfaction, price and policy offerings with J.D. Power — one of the most reputable ratings agencies around.
Other comparison websites like NerdWallet, ValuePenguin and The Simple Dollar note its complaints are about average for such a big company, and its low rates and digital experience make it a top contender.
Case study: Roslyn’s experience
Car insurance Publisher
I switched to Geico car insurance when we moved out of state and our local insurer was no longer available near us.
My husband and I had a joint policy with Erie for $1,244 a year for 100/300/100 coverage with collision and comprehensive on a 2016 Ford C-Max and a 2011 Toyota Prius.
Geico gave us a quote of $691 a year for the same coverage but without collision and comprehensive on the Prius. That rate dropped to $547 when we added Geico renters insurance underwritten by Assurant, and I’m able to manage everything together online.
Getting an online quote is long and difficult, but Geico lets you save your quote and come back later. You can tweak your quote and compare policies side by side, which makes it easy to see how much extra coverage you can buy. The quote tool also starts at the state minimum requirements so you won’t be underinsured.
How do I find a Geico agent near me?
You can find a Geico agent in select cities in 43 states. Search online and then contact the agent by phone or through an office visit. To locate your closest agent:
- From Geico’s contact info page, scroll to the bottom to click the Find a Local Agent link.
- Enter your ZIP code, then view the agents near you.
- Click on the map or scroll through the list to find the agent’s contact information.
- Call your chosen agent or visit in person at the address listed.
Compare alternatives to Geico
Frequently asked questions about Geico car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.