Entertaining ads and a great mascot are just the start of what Geico has to offer.
As the nation’s second-largest auto insurance company, Geico streamlines the process of purchasing comprehensive car insurance for your peace of mind. But that ease may come with weaker, less personalized customer service.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (earned or bought)|
- Tons of discounts
- Innovative mobile app
- Easy repair process
- Low online customer service reviews
- Claims typically handled online only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Seat belt use, up to 15% discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Who is Geico best for?
Geico’s car insurance policies are best for anyone looking for convenient access to affordable auto insurance coverage. Its competitively priced policies are available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., making it accessible to almost everyone. Policies are sold through a network of local agents, but can also be purchased by phone or online.
What car insurance coverage can I get from Geico?
Geico offers a strong lineup of auto insurance, with policy options ranging from state minimums to comprehensive coverage.
- Bodily injury liability. Provides protection if you injure someone while operating your car. Bodily injury liability covers injury to people, not to your vehicle.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of the injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Pays for losses resulting from incidents other than collision.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another vehicle or other object.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property
- Emergency roadside service. Helps when your car breaks down and you’re in need of roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance. Covers the cost of all mechanical repairs made to your car after your warranty expires.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Geico offer?
Geico offers a selection of special programs to accommodate its customers. Here’s what you can expect if you choose Geico for auto insurance:
- Accident forgiveness. This program can be earned or purchased and it means your premiums won’t go up as a result of your first at-fault accident.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if you encounter a flat tire, lock yourself out of your vehicle, and more.
- Nonowner insurance. You can get coverage for a vehicle you drive but don’t own.
- Mobile app. Geico’s mobile app features proof of insurance, a virtual assistant, bill pay, and more.
- Auto Repair Xpress. Get personal assistance from a Geico representative and guaranteed repairs through one of Geico’s certified repair shops.
- 24-hour service. Get in touch with a Geico representative with 24/7 assistance by phone, online and app.
- Car buying service. Save money and get peace of mind through Geico’s certified dealer network and online tool to help you compare prices and specs.
What discounts can I get with Geico?
Geico’s affordable car insurance comes standard with a suite of generous discounts that help make its prices so competitive. However, there are a handful of other available discounts that can reduce your premiums even further. Here are just a few:
- Military. Special discounts & premium reductions for service members.
- Defensive driving. Receive discounts for the completion of a defensive driving course.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive a discount when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Good student. Save up to 15% if you’re a student with a B average or better.
- Membership. Members of over 500 organizations can receive discounted rates.
- Federal employee discount. Discounts and premium reductions for current or former government employees.
- Vehicle equipment. Receive up to 40% off if your vehicle is equipped with safety equipment.
- Multi-policy. Save when you have multiple insurance policies with Geico.
- Good driver. Save up to 25% if you have a clean driving record for the past 5 years.
- Navy Federal car insurance. Geico is partnering with Navy Federal Credit Union to offer special car insurance discounts to Navy Federal banking members.
- Prime Time contract. Special rates & renewal privileges for drivers over 50 with clean driving records.
Pros and cons of Geico car insurance
- Many standard discounts. The provider claims that it saves drivers more than $500 a year when they switch to Geico — often in 15 minutes or less.
- Innovative mobile app. Use it to view your policy, submit a claim or even find the cheapest gas in your area with its Fuel Finder.
- Easy repair process. If your car requires repairs after a collision, Auto Repair Xpress includes a claim adjuster that explains the repair process and answers your questions.
- Low online customer service reviews. Savings can come at a cost, usually in the form of customer service — Geico sells policies direct to consumers and is thought to invest in advertising rather than staff.
- Claims typically handled online. You’re encouraged to submit claims through the website or app, which may be an issue if you prefer face-to-face service.
How to apply for Geico car insurance
Applying for auto insurance coverage with Geico is easy, and can be done in person, by phone or online. Here’s how to get started:
Geico has a network of local agents and regional offices to accommodate its customers. If you prefer to apply for coverage in person, visit the Geico website to locate your nearest agent.
You can also apply for coverage by phone, as agents are available 24/7, 365 days a year. Simply call 800-207-7847 to speak with an agent.
Applying for coverage online is easy, and should only take about half an hour. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the Geico website and enter your ZIP code to start a quote.
- Fill in your personal information (name, address, etc.)
- Enter your vehicle information (make, model, mileage, etc.)
- Enter driver information (name, SSN, employment info, etc.)
- Review all details, enter your contact information, then click “Get your quote.”
- If you’re satisfied with the policy options, click “Continue to purchase.”
- Enter policy start date, confirm contact info, then click “Next.”
- Enter payment details and finalize your purchase.
What do customers say about Geico?
While Geico isn’t officially accredited on the BBB website, it does hold an B+ rating. Despite its favorable rating, there are a number of customer complaints — over 3,000 to be exact. Customers express frustration with billing issues, denied claims and unsolicited advertising.
With that being said, this provider ranks highly for overall satisfaction, price, and policy offerings with JD Power, one of the most reputable ratings agencies around.
Keep in mind that many customers will only go online to rant or rave, meaning that customers who are generally satisfied with the service may not bother to leave a review. This is why there are often so many negative reviews and few positive ones.
What is Geico?
Geico began in 1936, when a husband-and-wife team established a public car insurance company under the name Government Employee Insurance Co. Today, it’s a wholly owned subsidiary of Warren Buffet’s notoriously successful investment firm, Berkshire Hathaway. It’s recently ventured into the car repair business and, of course, runs memorable TV ads featuring the Geico gecko. If you don’t recognize the mascot, you may have heard its slogan, “15 minutes could save you 15% or more.” This provider specializes in auto insurance and is widely considered one of the most affordable providers around.
Headquartered in Maryland, this provider’s auto insurance policies are available across the nation, in all 50 states. With over 15 million policies covering 24 million vehicles, it’s no surprise that Geico is the second largest auto insurance provider in the country. Customer satisfaction ratings are high and complaints are lower than average, making it one of the best auto insurance providers.
Alternatives to Geico
Geico offers low rates and discounts for just about anyone out there through its easy-to-use website and app. But if personalized customer service is important to you, you may be best served by another, perhaps local, provider.
Car insurance rates and discounts vary based on many factors. Find the best deal for your money and situation by comparing the range of providers available to you.