Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare Geico car insurance discounts
Steep savings here could keep your premium well below the norm.
Geico advertises its cheap rates nationwide, and you might enjoy knowing that it lives up to its marketing. The company includes low average premiums and a long list of discounts to help nearly any driver save on car insurance.
What discounts can I get from Geico?
Geico’s affordable car insurance comes with a generous suite of discounts that help make its prices so competitive. Discounts include:
- Military. Special discounts and premium reductions for service members.
- Defensive driving. Receive discounts for the completion of a defensive driving course.
- Multicar. Receive a discount when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Good student. Save up to 15% if you’re a student with a B average or better.
- Membership. Members of over 500 organizations can receive discounted rates.
- Federal employee discount. Discounts and premium reductions for current or former government employees.
- Safe car. Receive up to 40% off if your vehicle is equipped with safety equipment.
- Bundling. Save when you have multiple insurance policies with Geico.
- Good driver. Save up to 25% if you have a clean driving record for the past five years.
- Mature driver. Special rates and renewal privileges for drivers over 50 with clean driving records.
- Navy Federal car insurance. Geico is partnering with Navy Federal Credit Union to offer special car insurance discounts to Navy Federal banking members.
How much can I save with Geico?
Geico advertises that it could save you over 50% from another provider’s standard rate, and its steep discounts likely play into the potential savings. However, you might consider the overall rate and coverage compared to quotes from other providers.
Geico does tend to have cheap rates, with its average annual premium at $394 — well below the national average of $1,300 per year. Your premium may differ based on your car, location and driving record.
How do Geico’s discounts compare to other insurers?
Overall, Geico has some of the cheapest average rates among big-name providers. Geico’s laundry list of discounts contribute to its low averages, which speaks to how many drivers can qualify. However, USAA sticks close within just a few dollars, making that a possible competitor if you’re affiliated with the military.
You’ll also find bigger discounts with Geico compared to many insurers, especially for driving a safe car. Many other companies only shave 10% off your premium for safety features like automatic braking or rearview cameras.
Case study: saving 60% with a Geico policy
Casey is a 45-year-old driver with a clean record and multiple family cars. After applying for Geico car insurance, Casey received 60% off her standard Geico policy cost because of her claims-free history, vehicle safety features and insuring more than just one car.
Looking for more discounts? Compare alternatives to Geico
Many drivers can save big when insuring through Geico, especially if you have a history of safe driving. Still, the only way to get the best value for coverage is to compare multiple providers.
Frequently asked questions about Geico discounts
Ask an Expert