We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
Entertaining ads and a great mascot are just the start. Find out what else this provider has to offer.
Car insurance is among the more frustrating things to shop for. Terms are confusing, every company says they have the best deal and — let’s face it — it’s no fun to buy something you hope you’ll never use.
As the nation’s second-largest auto insurance company, Geico streamlines the process of purchasing comprehensive car insurance for your peace of mind. But that ease may come with weaker, less personalized customer service.
|Name||Geico Car Insurance|
|Description||As the nation’s second-largest auto insurance company, Geico streamlines the process of purchasing comprehensive car insurance for your peace of mind.|
- Tons of discounts
- Innovative mobile app
- Easy repair process
- Low online customer service reviews
- Claims typically handled online only
What is Geico?
Geico began in 1936, when a husband-and-wife team established a public car insurance company under the name Government Employee Insurance Co. Today, it’s a wholly owned subsidiary of Warren Buffet’s notoriously successful investment firm, Berkshire Hathaway. It’s recently ventured into the car repair business and, of course, runs memorable TV ads featuring the Geico gecko.
Headquartered in Maryland, this provider’s auto insurance policies are available across the nation, in all 50 states. With over 15 million policies covering 24 million vehicles, it’s no surprise that Geico is the second largest auto insurance provider in the country. Customer satisfaction ratings are high and complaints are lower than average, making it one of the best auto insurance providers.
Compare car insurance providers
What is Geico best known for?
Geico is best known for its entertaining TV commercials featuring the Gecko mascot with a Cockney accent. If you don’t recognize the mascot, you may have heard its slogan, “15 minutes could save you 15% or more”. This provider specializes in auto insurance and is widely considered one of the most affordable providers around.
Who is Geico auto insurance best for?
Geico’s auto insurance policies are best for anyone looking for convenient access to affordable auto insurance coverage. Its competitively priced policies are available in all 50 states and Washington, DC, making it accessible to almost everyone. Policies are sold through a network of local agents, but can also be purchased by phone or online.
What auto insurance coverage does Geico offer?
Geico offers a strong lineup of auto insurance, with policy options ranging from state minimums to comprehensive coverage.
- Bodily injury liability. Provides protection if you injure someone while operating your car. Bodily injury liability covers injury to people, not to your vehicle.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of the injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Pays for losses resulting from incidents other than collision.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another vehicle or other object.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property
- Emergency roadside service. Helps when your car breaks down and you’re in need of roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance. Covers the cost of all mechanical repairs made to your car after your warranty expires.
Discounts on Geico auto insurance
Geico’s affordable car insurance comes standard with a suite of generous discounts that help make its prices so competitive. However, there are a handful of other available discounts that can reduce your premiums even further. Here are just a few:
- Military. Special discounts & premium reductions for service members.
- Defensive driving. Receive discounts for the completion of a defensive driving course.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive a discount when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Good student. Save up to 15% if you’re a student with a “B” average or better.
- Membership. Members of over 500 organizations can receive discounted rates.
- Vehicle equipment. Receive up to 40% off if your vehicle is equipped with safety equipment.
- Multi-policy. Save when you have multiple insurance policies with Geico.
- Good driver. Save up to 25% if you have a clean driving record for the past 5 years.
Does Geico offer any special programs?
Geico offers a selection of special programs to accommodate its customers. Here’s what you can expect if you choose Geico for auto insurance:
- Car Buying Service. Save money and get peace of mind through Geico’s certified dealer network and online tool to help you compare prices and specs
- Accident Forgiveness. This program can be earned or purchased and it means your premiums won’t go up as a result of your first at-fault accident.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if you encounter a flat tire, lock yourself out of your vehicle, and more.
- Mobile app. Geico’s mobile app features proof of insurance, a virtual assistant, bill pay, and more.
- Auto Repair Xpress. Get personal assistance from a Geico representative and guaranteed repairs through one of Geico’s certified repair shops.
- Military discount program. Special discounts and premiums for service members.
- Federal employee discount program. Discounts and premium reductions for current or former government employees.
- Prime Time contract. Special rates & renewal privileges for drivers over 50 with clean driving records.
- 24-hour service. Get in touch with a Geico representative around the clock with 24/7 assistance by phone, online, and via app.
- Learning center. Geico offers a handful of resources to help educate customers.
Pros and cons of Geico auto insurance
- Many standard discounts. The provider claims that it saves drivers more than $500 a year when they switch to Geico — often in 15 minutes or less.
- Innovative mobile app. Use it to view your policy, submit a claim or even find the cheapest gas in your area with its Fuel Finder.
- Easy repair process. If your car requires repairs after a collision, Auto Repair Xpress includes a claim adjuster that explains the repair process and answers your questions.
- Low online customer service reviews. Savings can come at a cost, usually in the form of customer service — Geico sells policies direct to consumers and is thought to invest in advertising rather than staff.
- Claims typically handled online. You’re encouraged to submit claims through the website or app, which may be an issue if you prefer face-to-face service.
Geico auto insurance customer reviews
While Geico isn’t officially accredited on the BBB website, it does hold an A+ rating and a 3.72/5 composite score. Despite its high ratings, there are a number of customer complaints, almost 2,800 to be exact. Customers express frustration with billing issues, denied claims, and unsolicited advertising.
With that being said, this provider ranks highly for overall satisfaction, price, and policy offerings with JD Power, one of the most reputable ratings agencies around.
Keep in mind that many customers will only go online to rant or rave, meaning that customers who are generally satisfied with the service may not bother to leave a review. This is why there are often so many negative reviews and few positive ones.
How to apply for Geico auto insurance coverage
Applying for auto insurance coverage with Geico is easy, and can be done in person, by phone, or online. Here’s how to get started:
Geico has a network of local agents and regional offices to accommodate its customers. If you prefer to apply for coverage in person, visit the Geico website to locate your nearest agent.
You can also apply for coverage by phone, as agents are available 24/7, 365 days a year. Simply call (800) 207-7847 to speak with an agent.
Applying for coverage online is easy, and should only take about half an hour. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the Geico website and enter your zip code to start a quote.
- Fill in your personal information (Name, address, etc.)
- Enter your vehicle information (Make, model, mileage, etc.)
- Enter driver information (Name, SSN, employment info, etc.)
- Review all details, enter your contact information, then click “Get your quote”
- If you’re satisfied with the policy options, click “Continue to purchase”
- Enter policy start date, confirm contact info, then click “Next”
- Enter payment details and finalize your purchase.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Geico
Holding true to its commitment to convenience, Geico makes it easy to file auto insurance claims. You can start your claim online or by mobile app, and the process only takes about 5 minutes. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the Geico website, scroll down to “Claims center” and click “Report an incident”.
- If you’re the policy owner, select “My Geico Policy” if not, select “Someone else’s policy”
- Fill in policy owner information (Name, policy number), then click continue.
- Enter all necessary information (Names, vehicles, incident details, etc)
- Submit your claim. If you’re a Geico policyholder, you will be able to monitor your claim by logging into your account. If not, you can expect to hear back from a representative in the following days or weeks.
How do I contact Geico?
There are a handful of ways you can contact Geico. Start by visiting the official website and navigating to the “Contact Us” section. Here, you’ll be able to find phone numbers, email addresses, and any other contact info you may need. You can reach Geico through:
- Local agents
Does Geico offer any other types of insurance?
While Geico is best known for its auto insurance policies, it also offers a handful of other types of insurance coverage:
- Collector cars
- Business (Liability, workers compensation, etc.)
- Commercial auto
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
How does Geico compare to other providers?
- Geico vs Progressive
- Geico vs Allstate
- Geico vs Esurance
- Geico vs Liberty Mutual
- Geico vs State Farm
- Geico vs Nationwide
- Geico vs USAA
- Geico vs Travelers
- Geico vs American Family
- Geico vs Direct Auto
- Geico vs Metromile
Geico offers low rates and discounts for just about anyone out there, through its easy-to-use website and app. But if personalized customer service is important to you, you may be best served by another, perhaps local provider.
Car insurance rates and discounts vary based on many factors. Find the best deal for your money and situation by comparing the range of providers available to you.