Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
GameStop online shopping review
Stock up on gaming equipment galore — here's how to get free shipping.
If you’re looking for a one-stop shop for video games, electronics, collectibles, and more, GameStop could be one of your best bets. The company was founded over 30 years ago and has been keeping gamers updated with the newest products ever since.
- Free shipping on orders over $35
- Buy now and pay later using Quadpay, Klarna or Sezzle
- PowerUp loyalty program rewards you with 10 points per dollar and a freebie on your birthday
- Poor reputation for customer service
- No free returns
- Only ships orders Monday through Friday
Reviews and complaints: Is GameStop legit?
Yep! GameStop is legit. It’s been around since 1984, when it was founded in Dallas, Texas.
That said, over 1,200 reviews on Trustpilot add up to just 2 out of 5 stars, with a Poor rating. Most of the complaints are about negative experiences with its customer service team. One shopper states that his local GameStop lost his preorder, and instructed him to call customer service. But when he called customer service, they told him to call his local store. Other shoppers have similar stories, so if you value top-notch customer service, you might want to shop elsewhere.
What brands does GameStop sell?
GameStop sells hundreds of brands that make video games, gaming consoles and hardware, toys and collectables, electronics, clothing and tech accessories. Some of the most popular brands you can find at GameStop include:
- Electronic Arts
- THQ, Inc
It sells thousands of video and computer games in categories including:
|Action||Assassin’s Creed, Dishonored, The Legend of Zelda, etc.|
|Fighting||BlazBlue, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.|
|Music & Party||Guitar Hero, Mario Party, Just Dance, etc.|
|Role-Playing||Final Fantasy, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Quest, etc.|
|Shooter||Call of Duty, Battlefield, Titanfall, etc.|
|Simulation||The Sims, Sid Meier’s Civilization, Minecraft, etc.|
|Strategy||Halo Wars, Pikmin, XCOM, etc.|
|Sports||NBA 2K, Madden NFL, FIFA, etc.|
Can I get free shipping at GameStop?
Yes — GameStop offers free shipping on orders over $35.
If you live near a GameStop, you can choose in-store pickup at checkout to skip the shipping process altogether.
Shipping costs and options
The cost of shipping varies, depending on your order. You’ll see the exact shipping cost after entering your address during the checkout process.
In general, here’s how much you can expect to pay for shipping on orders under $35.
|One Day||1 business day||$12.99|
|Two Day||2 business days||$9.99|
|Standard||3-4 business days||$6.99|
|Value (excludes Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico)||5-10 business days||$4.99|
|Priority (for PO/FPO/APO only)||5-10 business days||$4.99|
GameStop payments and financing
GameStop accepts most debit and credit cards for online orders, along with gift cards.
Does Gamestop accept PayPal?
Yep! Gamestop accepts PayPal. Just choose it as your payment method at checkout.
Does Gamestop have financing options?
Yes — if you want to place an order with Gamestop but need more time to come up with the money, you have three options:
- Buy now, pay later. You can buy now and pay later using Quadpay, Klarna or Sezzle, which’ll break your total into biweekly payments over six weeks. If you pay on time, you might not even be charged interest, though it’s important to read the terms and conditions to understand exactly how it works.
- Rent to own. Take your product home today, then make regular payments toward owning it for good.
- Layaway. Reserve an item and pay it off over time before taking it home.
If you decide to pay with Quadpay, Klarna or Sezzle, you can choose that as an option at checkout. For rent to own, you’ll need to find your local GameStop store and apply from there. To see which items are eligible for layway, shop its curated selection of layaway products.
GameStop returns and exchanges
GameStop accepts returns within 30 days of when your order was packed. The item must be unopened and still in its original packaging. You are required to show a receipt if you return something in person. If you’re sending a return through the mail, make sure the packing list is in the box.
Does GameStop have free returns?
Nope — you’re on the hook for the cost of mailing an order back to GameStop. However, you can return your GameStop purchase in-store for free.
Does GameStop do exchanges?
Yep — you can exchange your GameStop purchase, but you’ll need to pay for any shipping that it involves.
How do I return an item to GameStop?
To return or exchange an item that you bought online to GameStop.com, you’ll need to include the packing list, identify the reason for the return, and send it to the address on the return shipping label.
GameStop discounts and sales
We expect the next big sale at GameStop to be on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the weekend after Thanksgiving. In the past, we’ve see deals like up to 50% off all games, $100 off PS VR headset bundles, $150 off X-box console bundles and more.
If you don’t want to wait until then, shop GameStop sales all year round by heading to its website and clicking Deals. Be sure to check out its pre-owned inventory, which is usually 10% cheaper than brand new — and 20% cheaper for Pro members.
Another way to save money over the long haul is by signing up for its rewards program, called PowerUp Rewards.
Does GameStop offer a student discount?
Nope — GameStop doesn’t offer a student discount.
Does GameStop offer a military discount?
Yep — all current and former military members get 10% off at GameStop. However, it’s only available to full-priced items in store. You can’t get the military discount when shopping online.
As a PowerUp Rewards member, you’ll earn points when you spend at GameStop. You can redeem these points for rewards like collectibles, toys, reward certificates, digital currency, and more. The two membership levels are Basic and Pro. As a Pro member you’ll also receive discounts and special offers.
GameStop’s free membership tier includes:
- 10 points for every dollar you spend at GameStop
- A birthday gift each year
- Points when you play games and buy Kreds at Kongregate.com (which is owned by GameStop)
The Pro tier costs $15 yearly, but you can upgrade to $20 for a physical edition of GameInformer magazine. In addition to the perks in the free membership, you’ll get:
- $5 welcome certificate
- $5 monthly reward certificate
- 20 points for every dollar you spend at GameStop
- 20 points per dollar for each item you trade in
- Extra trade-in credits
- 12-month subscription to Game Informer magazine
How do I contact customer support?
Here’s how to get in touch with GameStop’s customer service team:
- Email. Submit a query online, and it’ll respond via email.
- Phone. Call 1-800-883-8895.
If GameStop isn’t quite what you’re looking for, shop games, tech, merch and more at these competitors:
- Best Buy. For deals on gaming equipment and games, check out the Best Buy outlet, along with already opened and refurbished items.
- Newegg. Interested in building a gaming system from scratch? Head to Newegg for parts and tools. You can also buy video games and other gaming-related tech from Newegg — plus, it has free shipping on every order.
- Ebay. Buy and trade games, consoles, controls, headsets and more from this global marketplace. You can also find retro and arcade gaming, cosplay, action figures and gaming chairs on Ebay.
- Micro Center. Pick up an order from Micro Center within 18 minutes of placing an order, if you live nearby. Otherwise, you can shop PC gaming, Mac gaming, console gaming and even VR gaming.
More guides on Finder
How turning a profit on GameStop will affect your taxes
If you squeezed a quick profit on stocks like GameStop, Uncle Sam may be taking a slice of it.
What’s happening with GameStop stock, and the dangers of buying in
Retail investors are driving up GameStop’s stock in droves, causing trading service outages and panic among Wall Street hedge fund managers.
Chewy online shopping review
Here’s what you need to know about Chewy, the popular pet retailer that offers fast shipping, a wide-variety of products and 24/7 customer service.
Xbox One review and buying guide
Trying to choose the right gaming console for you and your family? You’ll find everything you need to know about Microsoft’s Xbox One console right here.
Where to buy a PS4 online
Grab a PlayStation 4 console, games, controllers and other accessories from these online retailers — and see when PS5 is slated to come out.
Yeti online shopping review
Keep drinks ice-cold or piping hot whenever adventure calls. See what this iconic brand has to offer and how to land free shipping.
How to use the United MileagePlus shopping portal
Earn United Airlines miles by making select online and in-store purchases.
Top sites to buy laptops online
Compare top tech retailers for your next laptop, along with promo codes and where to find free shipping.
Pre-Black Friday sales 2021
Why wait for official sales to drop when you can start saving now?
10 sites to buy women’s watches online in 2021
Time for a new watch? Check out our guide on the best places to buy timepieces online.
Ask an Expert