FreshDirect review: How does it work?
Fresh food delivered to New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia and other select areas.
If you live within FreshDirect’s select delivery area, you can easily shop for fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and other grocery and household items online. A FreshDirect delivery driver will bring your order right to your door.
According to its website, FreshDirect is experiencing high demand and long customer service waits. Delivery timeslots may be temporarily unavailable in certain areas.
- Satisfaction guaranteed. You’ll get a 100% refund or replacement if you’re not happy with your order.
- Large selection. Order everything from fresh produce and meat to beer, wine and spirits.
- Schedule up to a week in advance. Order ahead of time or schedule your delivery as soon as the next day.
- Limited delivery area. FreshDirect is only currently available in select areas of the east coast.
How does FreshDirect work?
FreshDirect works like any other online shopping site — you browse the available items on the company’s website, adding what you want to your cart. If you live within the eligible delivery area, you’ll then choose a delivery date and time and complete the checkout process online. At the scheduled time, a delivery driver will deliver your order.
How does DeliveryPass work?
DeliveryPass is FreshDirect’s paid membership program. With it, you get unlimited free deliveries, access to timeslot reservations and exclusive savings.
FreshDirect currently offers a free 60-day trial of DeliveryPass. Once that’s up, DeliveryPass costs $79 + tax for six months, or $129 + tax for one year. You can also select the Midweek option, with unlimited free deliveries Tuesday through Thursday for $39 + tax for six months.
How to use FreshDirect
To place an order through FreshDirect, follow these steps:
- Go to the FreshDirect website or mobile app and enter your delivery ZIP code in the box provided at the top. If you’re within the FreshDirect delivery area, you can start shopping.
- Add items to your cart.
- When you’re done shopping, click Checkout.
- Log into your FreshDirect account or create a new one for free.
- Enter your delivery address, choose a delivery time and enter your payment information.
- A delivery driver will arrive with your order at the scheduled time.
How much does FreshDirect cost?
Can I get free delivery?
Yes. Start a 60-day free-trial of DeliveryPass to get unlimited free deliveries for 60 days. After that, you’ll need to pay for DeliveryPass to keep getting free delivery and other perks.
If you don’t have DeliveryPass, FreshDirect delivery costs between $5.99 and $7.99 for most locations.
FreshDirect offers summer-only deliveries to the Jersey Shore for $9.99 and to the Hamptons for $15.99.
Is there a service fee?
No. You’ll only pay for the cost of your order, tax and applicable delivery fees.
Should I tip my FreshDirect driver?
You can leave a tip at checkout via the FreshDirect website or app, or give a cash tip upon delivery. Note that a credit card processing fee will be deducted from electronic tips. Remember that FreshDirect delivery drivers are service workers who depend on tips as part of their income.
How do returns work?
If you’re not satisfied with any item you receive, contact FreshDirect through its help center to get a full refund or replacement item.
If you ordered the wrong item by accident, you can also contact FreshDirect before your next delivery and then give the unwanted item to your delivery driver. You’ll receive an account credit once the item is returned.
Where is FreshDirect available?
FreshDirect is currently available in select areas of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Delaware:
- New York: Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, Rockland, Staten Island, Suffolk, Westchester
- New Jersey: Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Union
- Connecticut: Fairfield
- Pennsylvania: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia
- Delaware: New Castle
- Washington, D.C.
- Jersey Shore (summer only)
- Hamptons (summer only)
FreshDirect isn’t available near me. Now what?
Which stores offer FreshDirect delivery?
FreshDirect sources its own produce, meat, grocery and pantry items, so you simply choose items available on its website or mobile app rather than shopping from a third-party store.
What do customers say about this service?
Online reviews for FreshDirect are mixed. The majority of complaints are about poor customer service, missing items and trouble getting a delivery timeslot. On the other hand, there are also many positive reviews from long-time customers who haven’t had any issues with their orders.
Like its name suggests, FreshDirect can deliver fresh foods directly to your door if you live within its delivery range. For customers who order often, it can pay off to sign up for DeliveryPass and get unlimited free deliveries.Start shopping now