Offers free federal returns and $14.99 state returns.FreeTaxUSA offers free federal filing and $14.99 state filing for individuals, including small business owners, active military and veterans. But it doesn’t support less-popular forms like 2555s, 1040NRs or 6198s.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
If you’re looking for a cheap way to file taxes this year, FreeTaxUSA may be a no-brainer. Unlike other services, it doesn’t try to upsell you as you go through the filing process, and you can import old tax returns from TurboTax, H&R Bock and TaxAct.
But it doesn’t have phone support, so you’re limited to email or live chat if you buy the deluxe version. And you’ll pay $14.99 for state returns.
How much does FreeTaxUSA cost?FreeTaxUSA only has two plans:
- Free Edition. This plan features $0 federal returns and $14.99 state returns.
- Deluxe Edition. For an additional $6.99 you can live chat with customer support, get audit assistance and file unlimited amended returns.
At the end of the filing process, you’ll pay $14.99 for your state return and an additional $6.99 if you chose the optional deluxe service. You can choose to pay up front with a debit or credit card or elect to have it taken out of your tax return for an additional $19.99.
How do I pay?
There are two ways to pay your FreeTaxUSA filing fees:
- Credit or debit card
- Deducted from your federal refund
How do I get my tax refund?
You can get your tax refund one of two ways:
- Direct deposit
- Paper check via US mail
How do I open a FreeTaxUSA account?
Follow the steps below to sign up for a FreeTaxUSA account.
- Click Apply now.
- From the official FreeTaxUSA website, click Start Free Return.
- Click Create New Account and enter your email, username and password.
- Create your security questions and click Submit.
- Follow the steps to import old tax returns (optional) and click Continue.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you can start the filing process for the given tax year.
Who’s eligible to use FreeTaxUSA?
Anyone is eligible to use FreeTaxUSA, including self-employed and military individuals.
Those who file taxes with FreeTaxUSA will enjoy the following perks:
- Free federal returns. File simple, basic and advanced federal tax returns for free.
- Low-cost state returns. State returns are $14.99, which is lower than other platforms.
- Import old tax returns. FreeTaxUSA lets you import old tax returns from TurboTax, H&R Block and TaxAct.
- No surprises. FreeTaxUSA has a straightforward fee structure and won’t try to upsell you through the filing process.
Before you file with FreeTaxUSA, watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- Not 100% free. Even though FreeTaxUSA advertises that it’s free, you’ll still pay to file your state return.
- No phone support. FreeTaxUSA only offers email support.
- Doesn’t support all tax forms. It doesn’t support foreign employment income, nonresident alien returns, at-risk limitations and Archer MSAs, among others.
FreeTaxUSA reviews and complaintsFreeTaxUSA is owned and operated by TaxHawk, so it doesn’t have its own Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. TaxHawk earns an A+ rating from the BBB, but it only has a 2.3 out of 5-star rating based on 10 customer reviews. Of those reviews, customers love that FreeTaxUSA is cheap, easy to use and great at guiding you through the filing process. While most reviews praise FreeTaxUSA’s outstanding platform, some customers find it’s lack of phone support limiting.
Is FreeTaxUSA legit?
Yes. FreeTaxUSA is a legitimate company that’s been approved by the IRS as an e-file provider. It has filed over 43 million tax returns so far, according to the FreeTaxUSA website.
Compare tax filing services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
FreeTaxUSA customer support
There are four ways to contact FreeTaxUSA customer support:
- Submit a support request through your account portal
- Submit a web support form on the website if you’re not a customer
- Email email@example.com
- Start a live chat if you’re a Deluxe member