FreedomPop wireless plans review | Free talk, text & data Basic plan
This newer provider offers low-cost unlimited plans — and a free one you may have hear about.
What if you could get 500MB of data, 200 minutes and 500 text messages — for $0 a month? Now that it’s gotten your attention, FreedomPop wants to prove that it’s no run-of-the-mill wireless provider.
That free monthly plan isn’t merely a gimmick, but you might have to revert back to counting text messages and logging your minutes if you take FreedomPop up on its offer. If you’re a light user, it could be ideal for your needs.
But FreedomPop is more than free plans. For those willing to pay for it, this provider offers competitive unlimited plans using the reliable “big four” networks of AT&T and Sprint.
What is FreedomPop?
FreedomPop doesn’t want to be just another no-contract wireless provider. In 2013, this digital company came to the market with a serious differentiator: 100% free monthly plans.
But FreedomPop’s sole mission is to provide global wireless and internet services at lower cost for consumers. Its product line boasts savings across the board: plans, phones, hotspots and even international calling.
What services does FreedomPop offer?
FreedomPop offers family, individual and business plans, their most notable the free Basic 500. If that plan isn’t enough to satisfy your needs, premium unlimited plans are up to 80% cheaper than your typical carrier’s.
Individual and family plans
- Basic 500 — $0 a month. 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500MB data (call or text other FreedomPop users for free)
- Premium 500 — $13.99 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 500MB data
- Premium 1GB — $22.99 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 1GB data
- Premium 2GB — $24.99/month. Unlimited talk and text plus 2GB data.Free 1 month trial.
- Premium 3GB — $29.99/month. Unlimited talk and text plus 3GB data
- Premium 4GB — $34.99/month. Unlimited talk and text plus 4GB data
- 2GB Shared — $0 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 2GB shared data (call or text other FreedomPop users for free)
- 4GB Shared — $34.99 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 4G shared data
- 10GB Shared — $74.99 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 10GB shared data
- 25GB Shared — $159.99 a month. Unlimited talk and text plus 25GB shared data
Are there any other features I should know about?
There is a lot to like with FreedomPop beyond its cheap unlimited plans, including add-ons that visual voicemail, Wi-Fi calling and texting, and hotspots that can connect up to eight devices.
- Free international calls. Call friends and family in more than 60 countries.
- Data rollover. Roll over up to 500MB of unused data each month or share rollover data with friends.
- Call others for free. Even Basic 500 comes with free calls and texting to other FreedomPop users.
- Bring your own device. Select from high-quality devices for purchase, or check the compatibility of your current one for further savings.
- Data rewards. Earn free data by adding friends or competing partner offers.
What to watch out for
It’s hard to beat free. But FreedomPop does come with a few downsides.
- Limited device selection. FreedomPop’s limited selection of phones does not include Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.
- Spotty coverage. Users complain of lagging service in some areas.
- Online signup only. If you like the convenience of visiting a store, FreedomPop may not be for you.
- Many fees. You’ll run across charges for services you might feel are necessary, like voicemail at $2.49 a month and device protection.
Compare cell phone plan providers
How do I sign up for FreedomPop?
Sign up for FreedomPop online. After choosing a plan, you’ll walk through verifying coverage in your area, choosing a phone and adding on services.
FreedomPop has its limitations, but there’s nothing better than a free plan. Users requiring a more robust plan will find it in FreedomPop’s fairly priced unlimited plans.
If it offers good coverage in your area, FreedomPop is a viable wireless provider that can carve out some wiggle room in your budget.