Freedom Gold Card review
Be wary of the many fees that come with this card.
- Get this card if you often shop at the Horizon Outlet.
- Pick something else if you want to build your credit or pay fewer fees.
- Apply with a poor credit score of 300 or higher.
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Freedom Gold Card is a catalog card valid only for merchandise at The Horizon Outlet. It has a $750 starting credit limit. While there’s no credit check, you’re automatically enrolled in the Horizon Card Services membership, which costs $14.95 a month or $179.40 a year. If you decide to cancel this membership, you lose all membership benefits including your credit limit.
These are relatively high costs for a card that isn’t the best choice for building credit, as Horizon Card Services reports your payment history to only one major credit bureau. Most other card providers report to the three major US credit bureaus.
Even though expensive, it’s not a bad card if your go-to store is the Horizon Outlet. Otherwise, you can build your credit with a secured credit card and you can use it to buy groceries and gas as well as for online purchases.
How to apply for the Freedom Gold Card
To apply for the Freedom Gold Card, you must be at least 18 years old. You must also have an active US credit card, debit card or checking or savings account.
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Enter your full name, contact information and income details.
- Enter your debit or credit card information and click Activate my card now to complete your application.
What credit score do I need?
Because the Freedom Gold Card requires no credit checks, you can qualify with any credit score.
- Credit limit. You get a $750 unsecured credit to use for your Horizon Outlet purchases.
- Horizon Card Services monthly membership benefit plan. The membership plan includes benefits and discounts on your credit report, prescriptions, roadside assistance and legal help. If you fail to pay your monthly membership plan for three consecutive months, you’ll be automatically downgraded to the basic starter plan, which comes with all the perks minus roadside assistance and it costs $6.95 per month. You can try contacting customer support and ask to be demoted to the basic plan if you don’t want to pay the high monthly membership fee.
What to watch out for
- Card valid only at Horizon Outlet. The Freedom Gold Card is a store card that can be used only to shop from the online Horizon Outlet catalog. You can’t use the card to buy groceries or gas.
- Automatic membership enrollment fee. After you open the card, you’ll start paying $14.95 a month for the Horizon Card Services membership.
Use the Freedom Gold Card at Horizon Outlet
The card comes with an unsecured credit line of $750. But you can use this card only at Horizon Outlet, an online retailer. There you’ll find such items as:
- Women’s, men’s, kids’ and baby apparel.
- Bed, bath and kitchen products.
- Toys and seasonal items.
- Auto finance and prepaid or secured cards.
Should I get the Freedom Gold Card to build credit?
The Freedom Gold Card claims to help its cardholders rebuild their credit. But if you’re trying to build credit, you have better options: The card’s monthly fee can get expensive, and the provider reports your payment history to only one major credit bureau.
Look for a secured credit card instead. You can find one that doesn’t check your credit and that reports your payment history to all three major credit bureaus. If cost is a concern, look for a secured card with a low deposit.
Compare secured credit cards
I got the card. Now what?
- Keep up with payments. Your minimum monthly payment is at least 10% of your current balance.
- Customer service. For support, you’re limited to calling Horizon Member Services at 800-251-6144 weekdays during business hours.
The Freedom Gold Card gives you a $750 unsecured credit to shop at the Horizon Outlet, an online retailer. However, given the required monthly membership fee, it’s expensive. While it claims to help those with poor credit rebuild their financial histories, you’re better off looking for a secured credit card.
But if you want to build your credit while getting store benefits, compare other store credit cards
Frequently asked questions