Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Take advantage of a free money transfer
Send money for free using promo codes, specials and introductory rates.
The increasingly competitive online money transfer space is a buyer’s market that offers lower fees, stronger rates and more flexibility than your local bank. Add to that the handful of providers running special offers or promo codes for free transfers or no commission, and you’ve got one big incentive to try out a digital money specialist.
- The first transfer is free
- 30,000+ partner agent locations worldwide
- No minimum transfer amount
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Use promo code FINDER to send your first transfer with no fee.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Do free international money transfers actually exist?
Yes. But money transfer specialists aren’t in the business of offering something for nothing.
Companies that advertise a “free” service — such as no commission or transfer fees — make up for it by applying a “spread” or margin on the mid-market rate, or the rate rate financial institutions use when trading currency among themselves. This margin varies by country and currency but can be anywhere from 0.1% to 10%, depending on the company and where you’re sending to. The cost of the margin markup can outweighs the “free” transfer, which makes for an unpleasant surprising.
Charging a transfer fee can be a way for transfer companies to offer stronger exchange rates, which benefit large transfers. With research, you might find a company that waives transfer fees for new customers.
Ways to get a free money transfer
With so many companies angling for a piece of the remittance pie, the best deal may involve a promotional push for new customers or a promo code for waived fees or discounts off your total.
Money transfer companies make you pay through fees or mid-market markups — and sometimes both. To transfer money for free:
- Use a promo code. A promotional code for a company without a markup on the mid-market rate will allow you to transfer for free. A list of our current coupons and promotions can be found below.
- Transfer with a company that doesn’t charge fees. Some money transfer companies forgo flat fees by adding a small percentage on top of the exchange rate. International money transfer services offering free transfers include:
- OFX. Standard transfers come with no transfer fee through OFX.
- WorldRemit. Create an account with WorldRemit, and you won’t pay fees on your first money transfer.
- Hawk FX. Meet its $10,000 minimum for fee-free transfers through Hawk FX.
- Wyre. Finder readers get $0 fees on transfers to countries like Brazil and China.
Compare money transfer services
Keep your hunt for low-cost money transfers simple by first narrowing down a digital money specialist that fits your sending needs. If that service offers a promo code for free transfers, you’ll find it on our unbiased review pages.Disclaimer: Exchange rates change often. Confirm the total cost with the provider before transferring money.
Let’s crunch the numbers: The cost of a free transfer
To put this into perspective, let’s see what a free transfer actually looks like when sending $6,000 USD to MXN. Compared using live exchange rates from Jan 28, 2020.
$0 fee transfer Strongest exchange rate Low fee, strong exchange rate Fee $0 $60 $3.99 Exchange rate 1 USD = 18.737 MXN 1 USD = 18.831 MXN 1 USD = 18.755 MXN Transfer speed 1-2 days 1-2 days Minutes Amount received MXN112,419 MXN111,854 MXN112,457 Overall
- $0 = worse exchange rate
- Best exchange rate = higher fee
- Small fee = best overall transfer
Depending on the amount you are sending, it may be best to pay a small fee to secure a stronger exchange rate. Comparing a large amount of transfer options can be tricky unless you’re using a comparison table that compiles data based on your sending amount and destination.
Where can I find a promo code for a free money transfer?
Many digital money specialists promote free money transfers through codes on their own sites. Or you can keep it simple by comparing your options through Finder and checking out our independent reviews for promo codes. You’ll find exclusive discounts with popular services like WorldRemit and Ria.
With so many money transfer specialists in the market for your money — longtime mainstays and new digital names — customers both new and old can find promo codes and deals to waive fees on transfers worldwide. Weigh rates, fees and flexibility when comparing international money specialists.
Ask an Expert