We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
Having trouble getting coverage? This car insurance provider may be just what you’re looking for.
Foremost provides coverage to high-risk drivers when other companies might not. Plus, it offers flexible payment options to fit a wide range of budgets. It also has some features — like rental car reimbursement — you might not see elsewhere at this price point.
|Name||Foremost Car Insurance|
|Description||More possibilities with Foremost Insurance. Foremost provides coverage to high-risk drivers when other companies might not.|
- Supports high-risk policy holders
- Financial solidity
- Dynamite Deductible Endorsement program
- Overall positive ratings
- Online quotes unavailable
- Factors credit score into policies
What is Foremost Insurance Group?
Foremost, which began in 1952 as a mobile home insurer, is now a multi-line insurance provider under the nationwide Farmers Insurance parent company. Headquartered in Caledonia, Michigan, most of this provider’s services are available across the nation. Its reach is made possible through a network of over 38,000 independent agents backed by 24/7 customer service.
Foremost strives to provide accessible and affordable insurance, priding itself in its ability to offer coverage that other providers can’t. It’s broadly recognized as a company that offers coverage to customers considered to be high-risk, meaning that even drivers with imperfect driving records and credit scores can still get coverage.
Compare car insurance providers
Who is Foremost auto insurance best for?
Despite its wide range of coverage options, Foremost is best known for its mobile home and auto insurance offerings. Its willingness to accept high-risk drivers makes it great for those having trouble finding coverage elsewhere. However, its commitment to customer service and vast network of independent agents make it a feasible choice for almost anyone.
What kinds of auto insurance coverage does Foremost offer?
- Liability protection. Coverage when you’re at fault in an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object; also covers damage from fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers on medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This coverage takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Loan/lease coverage. If your car is totaled, this type of coverage will pay off your loan or lease so you’re not stuck with payments for a car you can’t drive.
Discounts on Foremost auto insurance
Foremost offers a handful of discounts on its auto insurance coverage. The website isn’t overly specific about the size of each discount, but there are a number of ways you can save.
- EFT. Receive discounted rates when you pay your bills through electronic funds transfer.
- Multi-line. Receive discounted rates when you have multiple insurance policies with Foremost.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive discounted rates when you have more than one vehicle insured on your policy.
- Teen driver. Receive a discount if one of your insured drivers is under the age of 19.
- Away at school. Receive a discount if any of your insured drivers are away at school.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- E-mail. Receive a discount for giving Foremost your email address.
- Transfer. Receive a discount when you transfer from another provider to Foremost Insurance.
- Clean driving record. Receive a discount if you’ve had no accidents or infractions in the past three years.
Does Foremost offer any special programs?
Foremost specializes in auto insurance for high-risk drivers, so its special programs are fairly limited. With that being said, here’s what’s available:
- Rental reimbursement. If your vehicle is out of commission, Foremost will reimburse your rental car costs up to the limits of your coverage.
- Towing and roadside service. Reimburses you if your car needs to be towed or if you request roadside assistance and you pay out of pocket.
- Dynamite Deductible® Endorsement. Foremost will reduce your deductible for Comprehensive or Collision losses by $50 for every semi-annual policy renewal or $100 for every annual policy renewal.
- Learning center. Foremost offers a comprehensive learning center packed with helpful resources to help you learn more about insurance and improve your skills on the road.
Pros and cons of Foremost auto insurance
- Supports high-risk policyholders. Some drivers have difficulty getting insured. Foremost is known to be an insurer that tolerates greater risk from its policyholders than other providers, which can be helpful if you’re in a tough spot and need to get insured now.
- Financial solidity. Partly because it’s backed by the Farmers Insurance Group and Zurich International, Foremost is known to be financially strong. It has a top-tier financial stability rating from S&P, among others.
- Dynamite Deductible Endorsement program. Get $50 off your deductible for every twice annual policy renewal. The lower your deductible, the less you’ll end up paying when car repairs or replacements are needed.
- Overall positive ratings. While Foremost has received mixed to negative customer reviews, it’s accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an independent rating of A-. In addition, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group, which is also BBB accredited with an A+ rating.
- Online quotes unavailable. Unlike many providers, Foremost has no online tool for you to get a quote for any of its policies.
- Factors credit score into policies. In some states, Foremost factors credit scores into approval or denial of your application. This means if you have a poor credit score, you may be denied on that basis alone — or your great credit can help you get a lower rate.
- No online applications. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to apply for coverage online. Instead, you’ll need to locate an agent and apply through them.
Foremost auto insurance customer reviews
BBB gives Farmers Insurance, Foremost’s parent company, an A+ rating based on factors such as regulatory compliance, transparency, safeguarding privacy and integrity.
This provider holds a composite score of 3.83 out of 5 possible stars, a rating which considers both customer reviews and the official BBB rating. However, there are a number of complaints about this provider, with the most common complaints being about Foremost’s insurance services themselves. Other complaints include billing and payment issues.
When assessing a product or service by reading reviews, it’s important to remember that many customers are unlikely to review something unless they want to rant or rave. This is one reason the BBB gives a composite score that takes customer reviews into account but doesn’t entirely rely on them for a rating.
How to apply for Foremost auto insurance coverage
Unfortunately, this provider doesn’t accept online applications. You can get a quote online by visiting the official website and entering your zip code, but in order to actually get covered, you’ll need to get in touch with an agent.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Foremost Insurance Group
Filing an auto insurance claim with Foremost is easy, and can be done either online or by phone. Here’s how:
- Visit the Foremost Insurance website
- Hover over the “Claims” tab in the top menu and select “File a claim”.
- Click on “File a claim online” where it says “Report an auto claim”
- Select lookup by policy number or continue as a guest.
- Click “Let’s get your claim started”
- Enter the policy number along with the first and last name of the policyholder.
- Enter incident details, personal info and any other information you are asked for, then submit.
- If you have an account, you’ll be able to monitor claim status and other details. If not, an agent will be in touch in the following weeks.
If you’d rather speak to someone to file your claim, you can easily do so by phone.
- Start by calling the claims line at 1-800-274-7865. It is open Mon-Fri 8am-7pm EST
- Ask your agent how to move forward. Here are a few things you should have handy:
- Your policy number if you are a customer with Foremost
- OR the other party’s policy number if you are filing as a guest.
- Vehicle and insurance information for both parties
- Personal information and driver details for both parties
- Incident details (date, location, what happened, who was at fault, etc)
3. Your agent should be able to walk you through the process and answer any questions.
How do I contact Foremost Insurance Group?
There are a number of ways you can contact Foremost Insurance Group.
- By phone
- In person
Visit Foremost’s “Contact Us” page for specific phone numbers, addresses, and more.
Does Foremost offer any other types of insurance?
Beyond Foremost’s popular auto and mobile home insurance policies, it also offers a variety of other coverage options:
- Powered scooter
- Golf cart
- Vacation home
- Rental space workers’ compensation
- Umbrella policies
What other providers are similar to Foremost?
Whether Foremost auto insurance is unavailable in your state or you just want to compare your options, here are a few providers that offer similar coverage:
Central. Central insurance offers affordable coverage and often accepts drivers with prior accidents or traffic violations.
Direct. Direct Insurance specializes in “non-standard” auto insurance and offers coverage to all applicants, regardless of their driving history.
Farmers. Farmers auto insurance offers great coverage at affordable prices, not to mention that it actually owns Foremost Insurance Group.
Foremost has earned accreditation and a high score with the Better Business Bureau by holding to solid business practices and taking care of its customers. It’s also more likely to accept high-risk drivers than other insurance providers. This includes people with multiple accidents on their record, repeated traffic violations, and more.
If you fit that description, or if you simply want to go with a company that’s backed by an organization as sturdy as the Farmers Insurance Group, Foremost may be right for you.
Still can’t decide? Compare options through our comprehensive insurance guide.