Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Cheap flights to LA for 2020
Save money en route to La La Land.
The sprawling coastal city is known for many things: celebrities, traffic, beaches, green juice, cinema and so much more. Love it or hate it, decide for yourself by scoring cheap passage to LA using our tips and tricks.
Which airlines fly to Los Angeles?
Fly into any of the following LA area airports:
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). West of downtown, this major hub is close to Malibu, Hollywood and Beverly Hills. It serves domestic and international flights.
- Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR). Domestic and international travelers can fly here for close proximity to Long Beach, Disneyland and major film and TV studio sets.
- Long Beach Airport (LGB). This low-key hub only services domestic carriers, but is known for good airport food and short lines. It’s just north of Long Beach.
Major airlines — full-service flight options
Consider one of these cross-country carriers to put you on the fast track to sunshine.
- American Airlines. Get a round-trip ticket from JFK (NYC) to LAX for as little as $292. American Airlines flies into BUR and LGB too.
- Delta. Fly from JFK to LAX starting at $237 round trip. Delta also offers flights to Burbank.
- United Airlines. Round-trip passage from EWR (near NYC) to LAX starts as $237. UA also flies to Burbank.
- Alaska Airlines. Direct flights from EWR to LAX start at just $119. Alaska Air services LGB and BUR as well.
- Southwest. Find flights from JFK to LAX for as little as $145, though you can also land at BUR or LGB.
- JetBlue. Book passage from JFK to LAX starting at $119. Travelers can also land in BUR or LGA.
Budget airlines — no-frills options for cheaper flights
Opting for a low-cost carrier will usually save you money, though you might sacrifice leg room and pay more for carry-on luggage.
- Frontier. Fly from LGA (NYC) to LAX for as little as $109, though LAX is Southwest’s only Los Angeles drop spot.
- Spirit. Score transport from LGA to LAX starting at just $111. With Spirit, LAX is your only area option.
Flight deals to Los Angeles
Tips for finding cheap flights to Los Angeles
Whether you’re looking to party hard in Hollywood, experience K-culture in Koreatown or bake on the beach, there’s no doubt you’ll want Benjamins to spend after touching down. You can save money before your trip even begins with a little advance planning.
When to buy
Ideally, shop for tickets four to six months ahead of time. Flights booked 24 weeks in advance are 12% cheaper overall, according to Skyscanner.com.
If you like to fly by the seat of your pants, try to book tickets at least 15 days ahead of time for decent rates. Any less than that and prices could skyrocket. Buying tickets even three weeks in advance could save you 11%.
And remember: Tuesday is the best day of the week to buy flights, according to data from Hopper.com.
Enjoy pleasant fall temps
September through November are the best months to visit LA, as crowds tend to scatter and beaches are less crowded. You’ll find better-priced flights during the fall.
Flying in January and February also tends to be cheaper, though prices might spike during spring break season in March.
Embrace the red-eye
Celebrities and local folk alike take late-night and early-morning flights to save cash and maximize time.
Toggle between airports
While LAX tends to be the cheapest overall, it’s worth checking BUR or LGB. Prices can fluctuate between landing destinations. If you’re coming from a major city like NYC, compare prices between airports to find the best deal.
Consider using resources like Skyscanner to search multiple carriers all at once. Then, you can compare prices between providers to pinpoint the cheapest price.
Return on a Monday
We know it’s sad to think about returning home before you’ve even arrived, but studies show that flights out of LA are cheapest on Mondays. Staying through Sunday night could save you up to $105.
Find a cheap flight to Los Angeles
“The final chapter of western man…lies in Los Angeles,” wrote singer Phil Ochs in notes for his broadside tapes. Book a flight, then reserve a hotel room in Los Angeles to start a new chapter in your own story.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert