Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Flights to London
Hop across the pond to this oft-visited metropolis.
A popular tourist destination with rich history and tons to see, London is also one of the world’s most expensive cities to visit. But don’t count this must-see destination out if you’re traveling on a budget. Plan your trip just right, and you could save big bucks.
Which airlines fly to London?
These major airlines offer direct flights from the US to London’s Heathrow Airport.
- American Airlines. The world’s largest airline offers a range of flight options from the US to Europe for every budget. Catch a round-trip, non-stop flight from New York City to London for about $625. You can find even cheaper seats with one stop.
- British Airways. As the official flag carrier of the UK, British Airways offers some of the most competitively priced flights. Average non-stop, round-trip tickets from NYC to London cost around $460, with even better deals if you fly during the week.
- Virgin Atlantic. Another British airline based in the UK, Virgin Atlantic offers budget-friendly direct flights to London. Expect to pay around $650 for round-trip tickets from NYC.
- Delta. This major Georgia-based airline recently announced plans to serve free cocktails to the main cabin on international flights — a perk you can enjoy on your trip to London. Book a non-stop, round-trip economy ticket from NYC to London for $450.
- United. One of America’s largest airlines, Chicago-based United offers both direct and non-direct flights to London from the US. Expect to pay more for direct flights with this airline, though, with average direct tickets from NYC around $720, and non-direct flights averaging $480.
Other airlines that fly from the US to London include:
- Norwegian Air UK
- KLM Airlines
Flight deals to London
Requirements to travel to London
All US citizens, including children, will need a valid passport to enter England. If you have a different last name from your child, bring along a birth certificate or marriage or divorce papers just in case you need proof that you are a parent or legal guardian.
US citizens don’t need a visa to stay in England for business or tourism purposes shorter than six months. If you plan to stay for longer, you will need to get a visa.
You don’t need any special vaccinations to go to London, but the CDC recommends that you have current routine vaccinations. Talk to your doctor before leaving to see if there are any extra vaccines you should get based on your medical history.
If you plan to rent a car while in London, check with your auto insurance company at home first to see if you’re covered overseas. You might need to purchase an additional policy for your trip.
Public transportation in London is easy and cheap, so you might want to forego driving altogether and get around town like a local.
Tips for finding the cheapest flights to London
When to buy
We did some digging and found airfare from New York to London is most expensive during the summer, with the best rates in the fall and winter. Summer tickets can double in cost compared to other times of the year, depending on which airline you choose. You can also usually save by flying during the week.
And don’t wait until the last minute to book a flight. You’re more likely to snag a great price if you book in advance.
Consider third-party booking sites
Compare direct and non-direct airfare
Some airlines offer cheaper layover flights than direct flights, so compare a few options to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Try different London airports
London has five major airports: London City, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Luton and London Stansted. If you have some flexibility, compare prices when flying into different airports to see if you can get a better deal.
Check baggage fees and other add-ons
Baggage policies and fees vary from airline to airline, so make sure you’ve factored in any extra luggage fees when comparing prices. Some airlines let you choose your seat for free, while others charge a small fee.
Find a cheap flight to London
You can see the London fog on a tight budget with just a little planning and research. Travel during the off-season and book your flight in advance to rake in the biggest savings.
Once you have your flights picked out, it’s time to find a place to stay. Use our London hotel guide to find the perfect spot within your budget.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on finder
US-UK travel corridor may open for the holidays
The two countries are working on final approvals for their plan, which will involve mandatory COVID-19 testing at the airport.
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2020
CheapOair deals and discounts for Black Friday 2020.
Singapore Airlines Black Friday deals 2020
Cheap flights from Singapore Airlines to celebrate Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Emirates Black Friday deals
Emirates deals and discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2020.
Air Canada Black Friday deals
Air Canada Black Friday & Cyber Monday sales — cheap flights from NYC, LA and more.
Everything you need to know about travel within the United States.
Book now pay later travel
Book now pay later on flights, hotels, car rentals, tours, vacation deals and cruises.
Best time to visit Yellowstone National Park
Guide to Yellowstone, including cost and transportation options.
Where to book an unforgettable Croatia cruise
See what all the fuss is about for yourself with the guide to cruising Croatia including the best deals.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2020
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
Ask an Expert