If you’re a frequent flier, Flexiroam’s global SIM card can save you from the high costs of international roaming.
Flexiroam is a SIM-only mobile provider with global network coverage. Established in 2011, Flexiroam aims to streamline communication for international travellers by providing a single SIM that you can use worldwide, free from the high global roaming rates many other mobile providers charge.
What services does Flexiroam offer?
Flexiroam’s entire business is built around its international SIM cards. Flexiroam works by attaching a microchip onto your current SIM card, then using your mobile screen to toggle between your main SIM card service and Flexiroam’s service.
Once you subscribe to a Flexiroam X membership, you can use the app to get mobile data and use it wherever and whenever you want. Thanks to partnerships with 580 local network providers, and alliances with over 100 travel industry partners, Flexiroam’s international coverage extends to over 100 countries across the world. Each time you share or talk about Flexiroam X on social media you’ll also top up your data limit.
Finally, Flexiroam also provides a virtual phone number service that lets you add phone numbers from over 55 countries to your SIM card. By adding a number from a supported country to your SIM, you’ll only pay local call rates when you’re in that country, saving you from exorbitant international roaming charges.
How much does Flexiroam cost?
A 1GB data pack costs US$29.99 but a one year membership to Flexiroam X costs US$9.99 – and that includes a free starter pack with the Flexiroam X Microchip. You’ll have to pay US$9 for delivery to mainland US, but only US$5 to Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. However, that’s the only extra charge.
Call rates with Flexiroam cost the same, per country, no matter where you are dialing from. A call from the US to Australia, for example, costs $0.01 a minute to a fixed line or $0.04 to a mobile. Text rates and data usage follow a similarly variable pricing model.
You can buy extra data – 500MB for US$20, 1GB for US$29 and 3GB for US$79. These are all available for 12 months.
The Flexiroam App allows you to use more than one international number from over 55 countries to make and receive calls with these low rates. Once you get an international number you can switch to that number when making outgoing calls. This costs from US$4 a month.
Prices updated November 2017
Flexiroam International SIM card
Heading overseas? Reduce your global roaming charges by up to 85% with a prepaid 4G international SIM card from Flexiroam.
- Works in over 100 countries
- You’re able to earn free data that you can keep. Just signing up earns you 100MB, referring friends earns you 100MB for each person you sign up.
- You can buy extra data online.
- The same charge to the country you are calling – no matter which country you are calling from
- A dashboard which enables you to check your data use
- A 4G SIM card works with any unlocked phone and fits all SIM sizes
- Affordable rates for global calls, texts and data
For more information go to https://www.flexiroam.com
How do I top up with Flexiroam?
As long as your membership is active you can reuse the same SIM and any data accrued as many times as you like. Renewing your membership rolls over any data you haven’t used. It’s also easy to top up your data allowance online.
What extras does Flexiroam offer?
As a prepaid mobile provider, Flexiroam doesn’t offer much in the way of extras. The 24/7 customer support line is excellent – the help team can be contacted via WhatsApp and email and are quick to get back to you. But having the same charge per country – no matter where you call from – is a super plus.
Pros and cons of Flexiroam
- 4G network support. In countries where 4G networks are available, Flexiroam will connect you to them for high-speed Internet access.
- Global network coverage. With over 100 countries covered by its service, Flexiroam lives up to its promise of worldwide coverage.
- 24/7 customer service. If you have any troubles with your Flexiroam service, you’ll be able to call or email its support team any time of the day.
- Rolling contracts and membership. Not having to worry about topping up every month to avoid losing your leftover credit is a big plus.
- Highly-variable call and data rates. Flexiroam call and data rates can change significantly from country to country, meaning you’ll need to do your research before travelling to calculate your costs.
- You can’t always use your existing number. Your phone can only use one SIM at a time so you won’t be able to receive texts and calls to your usual number while using Flexiroam. But you can just flick back to your home SIM to check this – just remember to turn off data roaming when doing so.
- It can be fiddly to set up. You have to change some SIM settings on your phone, turn off Wi-Fi and restart your phone to get it connected. But the starter kit has detailed instructions and the app has a full set-up guide with screenshots.