Flexiroam Global Roaming SIM Card Plans
If you're a frequent flier, Flexiroam’s global SIM card can save you from the high costs of international roaming.Flexiroam is a SIM-only mobile provider with global network coverage. Established in 2011, Flexiroam aims to streamline communication for international travelers by providing a single SIM that you can use worldwide, free from the high global roaming rates many other mobile providers charge.
What services does Flexiroam offer?Flexiroam’s entire business is built around its international SIM cards. Flexiroam now also offers a microchip that attaches onto your current SIM card, allowing you to toggle between your main SIM card service and Flexiroam‘s service.
Thanks to partnerships with 580 local network providers, and alliances with over 100 travel industry partners, Flexiroam’s international coverage extends to over 150 countries across the world. Each time you share or talk about Flexiroam X on social media you’ll also top up your data limit.
How much does Flexiroam cost?
Starter packs range in price from $14.99 for 1GB of data that’s valid for 15 days to $199.99 for 7GB of data valid for 360 days. All of the starter packs come with a free X SIM card, or you can buy the X Microchip for an extra $10 — though you’ll need to pay for shipping for both options.
After you’ve purchased a starter pack, you’ll be able to buy extra data to top up — though the price depends on how long the data is valid. For example, an extra 5GB of data valid for 180 days is $129.99 while the same amount of data valid for 360 days is $149.99.
Add-on data is available in packages as low as 100MB and as high as 11GB, and you can save money by choosing a local data plan instead of global data if you’ll be staying in one country for a while. You can see complete information on data pricing on the website.
Prices updated August 27, 2019
Can I use Flexiroam to make phone calls?
Yes, but not directly. While the Flexiroam app doesn’t support calls, you can still talk in one of two ways:
- Using a different SIM. You can switch out the Flexiroam SIM or turn off the microchip and use a SIM card from another provider to make calls.
- Use a WiFi calling app. You can use a WiFi calling app plus your Flexiroam data to make calls — though you’ll need at least 100MB of data, according to the site.
Flexiroam International SIM card
Flexiroam claims that it can reduce your global roaming charges by up to 85% with its prepaid data.
- Works in over 150 countries
- You’re able to earn free data that you can keep. Just signing up earns you 100MB, referring friends earns you 100MB for each person you sign up.
- You can buy extra data online.
- A dashboard that enables you to check your data use
- A 4G SIM card works with any unlocked phone and fits all SIM sizes
- Affordable rates for global and local data
How do I top up with Flexiroam?
You can add extra data using the app. Just tap Get Xtra Data in your dashboard, choose a plan and confirm your choice.
What extras does Flexiroam offer?
As a prepaid mobile provider, Flexiroam doesn’t offer much in the way of extras. The 24/7 customer support line is excellent – the help team can be contacted via WhatsApp and email and are quick to get back to you. But having the same charge per country – no matter where you call from – is a super plus.
Pros and cons of Flexiroam
- 4G network support. In countries where 4G networks are available, Flexiroam will connect you to them for high-speed Internet access.
- Global network coverage. With over 150 countries covered by its service, Flexiroam lives up to its promise of worldwide coverage.
- 24/7 customer service. If you have any troubles with your Flexiroam service, you’ll be able to call or email its support team any time of the day.
- Rolling contracts and membership. Not having to worry about topping up every month to avoid losing your leftover credit is a big plus.
- Highly-variable data rates. Flexiroam data rates can change significantly from country to country, meaning you’ll need to do your research before traveling to calculate your costs.
- You can’t always use your existing number. Most phones can only use one SIM at a time so you won’t be able to receive texts and calls to your usual number while using Flexiroam. But you can just flick back to your home SIM to check this – just remember to turn off data roaming when doing so.
- It can be fiddly to set up. You have to change some SIM settings on your phone, turn off Wi-Fi and restart your phone to get it connected. But the starter kit has detailed instructions and the app has a full set-up guide with screenshots.