Prime borrowers may get funds from $60,000 to $250,000 with this customer-focused bank.
First Republic Bank is a private bank that offers something others might not: a personal touch focused on your customer experience. Its loans and lines of credit are for larger amounts, which might be more than you need. But if you live in the area, it’s worth learning more when weighing your options.
|Product Name||First Republic Bank Eagle Gold Loans|
|Min Loan Amount||$60,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||$250,000|
|APR||Based on WSJ Prime Rate|
|Interest Rate Type||Variable|
|Maximum Loan Term||5 years|
- Have an account with First Republic Bank.
- Have credit score of at least 750.
- Have a debt-to-income ratio of less than 40%.
- Your liquid assets at least equal to your loan amount.
*We were provided these product details from a First Republic Bank branch in Oregon. Eligibility requirements and fees may vary by state.
First Republic Bank’s personal loan offer
First Republic Bank offers unsecured term loans and lines of credit for amounts of $60,000 to $250,000. “Eagle Gold Loan” is the branded name for its personal loan offer. Terms are for up to 60 months, but loans come with a steep $250 origination fee and a $150 annual fee.
Variable interest rate is based on the Wall Street Journal Prime Rate. Your interest rate will depend on your credit score and if you’ve opted for automatic repayments from your bank account.
What makes personal loans from First Republic Bank unique?
First Republic Bank targets prime borrowers — that is, people with credit scores of 750 or higher and plenty of money in liquid assets. It operates branches in just six states across the US: California, Oregon, New York, Florida, Connecticut and Massachusetts.
You’ll have to have an account with First Republic Bank to start the loan application process. Unlike other banks and alternative lenders, the large loan amounts offered by First Republic set it apart. You won’t find many personal loans over $100,000, which can make it difficult to pay for a large expense. With this bank, you can access up to $250,000 through a personal loan.
What are the benefits of a First Republic Bank personal loan?
- Variable interest rate. First Republic Bank recalculates your variable interest based on fluctuations in the prime rate. Although it could result in paying more some months, if the prime rate drops, you could end up paying less in interest than when you first got the loan.
- For immediate use after approval. After your application is approved and your loan finalized, First Republic Bank makes your funds quickly. Other banks and providers make you wait days to receive your funds.
- Large loans available. Borrow up to $250,000 as a personal loan or line of credit to use for just about anything — though you’ll need to meet stringent requirements for higher amounts.
What to watch out for
- Doesn’t list rates online. Unlike many other personal loan options available online and from traditional banks, First Republic Bank doesn’t give you the potential interest rates you might receive if you’re approved for a loan.
- High starting loan. First Republic Bank sets its minimum loan at $60,000. If you’re looking to borrow less, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
- Requires liquid assets. You may be able to get a loan without a large amount, but First Republic Bank prefers that you have about your loan amount in liquid assets when you apply.
- You must visit a branch. To apply for a personal loan with First Republic Bank, you’ll need to call or visit a local branch to complete an application.
Compare more personal loan providers
What do customers say about First Republic Bank?
First Republic Bank is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which rates the bank an A+ on its site. However, because of the limited number of complaints and reviews filed with the BBB, it’s impossible to gauge borrower experience.
Other review websites focus on First Republic’s student debt refinancing program and rate it highly. These reviews reflect positively on First Republic Bank’s services in general.
Am I eligible?
You must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent resident, meeting further First Republic Bank requirements that include:
- An account with First Republic Bank.
- A credit score of at least 750.
- A debt-to-income ratio of less than 40%.
- Liquid assets at least equal to your loan amount.
How do I apply?
You can’t apply for a personal loan with First Republic Bank online. Instead, your application starts over the phone at 888-408-0288 or in person at your local branch.
To request a call from First Republic, complete an online form:
- Go to First Republic’s website.
- Near the bottom of the page, click Have Us Contact You.
- Complete the required information and submit.
To find your closest First Republic Bank branch, click Location at the top right of the page and enter your ZIP code, city or state.
What happens after I get the loan?
You can make repayments on your loan online, at a branch or through the bank’s mobile app. The sooner you pay off your outstanding balance, the more you’ll save on interest. This is especially true for loans with variable interest rates, as rates can change at any time, potentially increasing the amount you pay monthly.
Like all personal loans, timely payments can help your credit and prevent late fees from accumulating. Your contract will specify the fees you’ll owe should you miss a payment.
If you have an excellent credit score, liquid assets and an account with First Republic Bank, this customer-focused bank could be a good place to start for a large personal loan. Its rates are competitive, and you’ll get to experience top perks many customers like.
But you won’t find loans with fixed interest rates, and you’ll need good to excellent credit to qualify. Learn more about personal loan providers to find the best suited to your needs.