First American Property and Casualty Group home insurance review
A national company with a variety of discounts, but limited online tools.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for a well-established national company with a stable financial backing.
- Pick something else if customer reputation is important to you.
- Homeowners and renters of any kind can find a policy at First American.
All 50 states
- Competitive premiums
- Bundle and save
- Well-established, financially-stable insurance carrier
- Limited online tools
- No online quotes
- Low customer ratings
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
First American is a national company with a solid foundation and a long history. And while it offers a good set of insurance products, it may be hard to overlook the overwhelming customer complaints.
If you’re looking for an insurer with a better reputation, compare your home insurance options to find the right company for you.
What home insurance coverage does First American offer?
First American’s homeowners policy includes the following coverage:
- Home. Repair or rebuild the structure of your home after an accident.
- Flood insurance. Coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program up to $250,000 for your home and other structures. Personal property is covered up to $100,000.
- Loss of use. Provides the funds to live in a hotel or other living situation if your house is unlivable due to a covered event.
- Other structures. Get protection against damages to outbuildings and other detached structures on the property, such as fencing, a shed or a swimming pool.
- Personal liability coverage. Provides coverage for injuries or damage to visitors when they’re on your property. It also covers legal fees if someone decides to sue.
- Personal property. Offers replacement cost of personal belongings.
- Scheduled property. Get full coverage for expensive belongings by insuring them separately.
How can I increase my homeowners coverage?
First American offers three tiers of ad-on coverage for high-cost homes and to protect what’s inside:
- Enhancement Plus. Cover 25% over your standard policy for rebuilding your home.
- Eagle Premier. Cover 50% over your standard policy in a total loss and bring your home up to code since you purchased your policy
- The Eagle Platinum. This coverage not only fully covers your home, but it pays to replace high-value belongings like jewelry, furniture and heirlooms.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
Take advantage of these discounts on offer from First American:
- Fire protection. Earn a discount if your house is equipped with a fire alarm system and sprinklers.
- Loyalty credit. After your first year with First American, you can apply for a loyalty discount.
- Multipolicy. Combine your home and auto policies for up to 25% off your home insurance policy.
- New home credit. Earn up to a 35% discount if your home is less than 14 years old.
Pros and cons of First American
- Competitive premiums. While many agent-focused insurance companies have slightly higher premiums, customer reviews indicate that people selected First American because it offered the lowest premiums.
- Financially stable. First American is a long-established company with a stable financial base, as indicated by its AM Best A-rating.
- Bundle and save. You can get up to 25% off your premium just for choosing to bundle your car and life insurance with First American.
- Low customer ratings. First American has extremely low ratings on customer review sites, with complaints concerning the difficult claims process and pay out on good faith claims. It also has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau as of January 2020 for failure to address customer complaints.
- No online quotes. While First American has what looks like a quote tool on its website, when you click through, you’re directed to a map of agents in your area.
How to apply for First American home insurance
To get a quote, call 888-546-5118 to find a local agent, or use the Find a quote tool on the website to see what policies are offered in your area. Click the policy type to see a map of agents near you.