Farmers renters insurance review
This industry leader supports you with local agents and no-fuss policies.
- Get a quote if you’re researching the top providers for renters insurance.
- Pick something else if you want extra coverage and benefits.
- Many types of renters can apply.
AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY
- Top provider in the industry
- Established, financially strong company
- Local customer service
- Replacement cost coverage
- Online quotes and claims
- Standard coverage only
- Below-average customer ratings
- Processing fee applies
- Online policy info lacking
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Farmers renters insurance offers industry standard coverage for protecting your personal belongings and liability against injuries while someone is visiting your rental. The company boasts its success through its top market share in property insurance and strong financial ratings.
What renters insurance coverage does Farmers offer?
Farmers keeps to the roots of renters insurance with the most basic coverage:
- Personal liability
- Personal property
- Replacement cost coverage for personal property
- Additional living expenses
- Medical payments to others
- Identity theft
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
Save money on your Farmers renters policy in a few ways:
- Nonsmoker. Slash your premium if no one in your household has smoked for at least two years.
- Security system or fire alarm. Find savings for having these safety features installed.
- Multipolicy. Bundle renters insurance with auto, life or an umbrella policy.
Pros and cons of Farmers renters insurance
- Top industry provider. Farmers stands in the top five home insurance companies in the market, suggesting its trustworthiness and success.
- Established, financially strong company. The company has backed insurance policies for over 90 years and boasts an A financial rating from AM Best.
- Local customer service. In a world of faceless online service, Farmers offers local agents to answer your questions and personalize your coverage.
- Online quotes and claims. Apply for insurance online or log into your customer account to file claims at your convenience.
- Standard coverage. You can find the coverage Farmers offers with many competitors.
- Below-average customer ratings. Customers give low ratings on the Better Business Bureau and Trustpilot for difficulty contacting customer service and a rough claims process, as of November 2019. Farmers also receives below-average overall ratings for the 2019 J.D. Power Renters Insurance study.
- Processing fee applies. You’ll pay a $25 processing fee when starting a new policy.
- Lack of info online. The website doesn’t list any information about the types of coverage offered online unless you get an online quote.
How to apply for Farmers renters insurance
Whether you apply online or not, a Farmers agent can help you with your application and coverage questions. Breeze through the process in a few simple steps:
- Go to the Farmers website.
- Click Get a quote from the top of the site.
- Select Renters, enter your ZIP code and click Start my quote.
- Enter your basic personal information. Click Continue.
- Answer questions about your rental and personal belongings. Click Continue to quote.
- Receive your quote, review and edit coverage. If you’re satisfied with the coverage, Continue to purchase.
- Enter your payment information and finalize your policy.
Local agent. Use the agent directory to find a local agent near you. Or contact the local agent listed near you when going through the quote process.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with Farmers?
Have this information on standby when filling out your renters insurance application:
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Phone number
- Property type and features
- Number of building units
- Nonfamily roommates
- Pet or home business details, if applicable
- Previous claims
- Safety features
- Policy start date
- Value of personal belongings
- Coverage needed
- Payment details