Farmers home insurance review
Choose from one of three home packages and customize your policy for the best fit.
- Get a quote if you love the idea of a customized policy package.
- Pick something else if the best benefits aren’t available near you.
- Homeowners who don’t make many claims get the best break.
AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY
- Convenient customized packages
- Plenty of discounts
- Claim-free rewards
- Eco-friendly replacement options
- Mixed customer ratings
- Discounts and features can vary between states
- Lack of website information
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Farmers offers flexible policies that can meet nearly every homeowner’s needs, whether you’re brand new or a seasoned homeowner. At the same time, declining deductibles and a range of discount opportunities could make this a smart option for savings.
However, if top-notch customer service is important to you, choose another home insurer that better fits your needs.
What home insurance coverage does Farmers offer?
Farmers helps you get the coverage you need with its flexible packages. You can also raise coverage limits or add other coverage if it’s not included:
- Liability. Make sure that guests injured on your property get the medical attention they need.
- Personal property. Protect your home and other buildings on your property from fire, storms or natural disasters.
- Contents replacement. Restore your personal belongings after theft or damage, including electronics, lost jewelry or even important documents.
- Valuable contents. Opt for higher limits on some of your most valuable belongings.
- Guaranteed replacement cost. With the Premiere package, you could get guaranteed replacement on your property damage, even if covered items cost more than your policy limit.
- Living expenses. Get expenses like food, housing and relocation costs covered if you have to live elsewhere during repairs.
- Identity theft. Cover your losses if you find that someone has been using your identity.
- Eco-rebuild. This option gives you up to $25,000 to rebuild or replace your home with green materials if you have covered damage to your property.
What types of homes will Farmers cover?
Farmers offers home insurance in all 50 states for every type of home, including:
- Manufactured homes
- Mobile homes
- Seasonal or vacation homes
- Vacant homes
What extra features and benefits does Farmers offer?
Farmers wraps its coverage into three convenient packages as a starting point for homeowners. Those include:
- Standard. Covers the necessities and allows you to get wider coverage on a few chosen valuables.
- Enhanced. Accommodates higher policy limits and includes extra features, like roof replacement and full replacement value for contents coverage.
- Premier. Features the highest limits and coverage on personal property and may include guaranteed replacement cost if you meet certain qualifications.
What discounts can I get with Farmers?
Farmers offers several discounts, which especially benefit homeowners who go years without making a claim. Those discounts include:
- Claims-free. If you have no claims for three years, you’ll get this policy savings.
- Claims forgiveness. If you avoid claims for five years, you’ll get a break the next time you call for Farmers help.
- Declining deductible. Wave $50 of your deductible goodbye for each year you stick with Farmers.
- Nonsmokers. Your family of nonsmokers could qualify you for this discount if no household member has smoked in the last two years.
- Multipolicy. Get an easy discount by taking care of more than one insurance need under one roof.
- Professional group. Police officers, teachers, military and a variety of other professions might find savings.
Pros and cons of Farmers home insurance
- Convenient packages. Farmers starts out with helpful packages to give you the coverage you need, and you can add or adjust coverage if needed.
- Professional discounts. A discount based on a variety of career paths provides simple savings to many homeowners.
- Claims-free rewards. Claims forgiveness, a claims-free status and declining deductibles all bring savings.
- Average customer service. J.D. Power ranks the company average for customer satisfaction with home insurance. Yet other review sites give high ratings to the company as a whole.
- Some states don’t get every benefit. Discounts and features can vary between states. For example, the Premier package isn’t offered in California.
- Lack of website information. You’ll find no straightforward answers on all the coverage included in each package — to get an idea you have to read between the lines.
How to apply for Farmers home insurance
You can get a Farmers home policy straight from a local agent by either calling directly or filling in your information online:
- Go to Farmers FastQuote and choose the type of insurance you need.
- Enter your ZIP code and select Start my quote.
- Provide basic information about yourself and your home.
- Enter your phone number and email to get a quote from a Farmers agent.
- You can also search for an agent by clicking Find an agent from the main menu.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Farmers?
You’ll need to provide some personal information as well as property details to get a policy, including:
- Name, address, phone number and occupation
- Marital status
- Last property claim
- Type of house and year it was built
- Additional structures — basement, pool, storm shutter, etc.
- Square footage
- Exterior wall type
- Garage type
- Heating system used
- Number of bathrooms
- Age of roof
How do I make a claim with Farmers?
Get access to the company’s claims reporting any time when you use online options, or you can talk with a customer representative.
- Website. Report a claim through your Farmers customer account.
- Phone. Let a representative know about your home’s damage by calling 800-435-7764.
- Mobile App. Submit details and track your claim’s status from your phone.