Farmers auto insurance review 2021
Walk through your wide coverage options with a local agent, though customer satisfaction is average.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want wide coverage or qualify for multiple discounts.
- Pick something else if you find cheaper rates with another company.
- Drivers in all 50 states can get personalized service from an agent.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, custom, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Plenty of discounts
- Catastrophe response for natural disasters
- Personal support from 50,000 agents across the US
- Rates depend on region
- Service depends on region
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Distant students – 23 or younger, 100+ miles away from home|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Starting from humble beginnings, Farmers has grown into a Fortune 500 company that covers more than 10 million households. Its policies are available in all 50 states through a network of almost 50,000 independent agents, providing both convenience and personalized service.
This insurer stands out for its variety of coverage and wide network of local agents to give you personalized support. You can call or visit your local agent to review your coverage, and your agent can help you find opportunities to save and bundle coverage.
Also, its coverage add-ons include everything from protection for original manufacturer parts to new car replacement or rideshare coverage — meeting the needs of nearly any driver on the road.
However, Farmers sees average customer service ratings overall. And while some customers praise its competitive rates, not everyone will save with this company. If you’re looking for robust coverage and like working with a local agent, Farmers is worth a quote. But you might go with another company if you find a cheaper rate or better customer service.
How to get a free quote for Farmers auto insurance
You can get started with an online quote, but you’ll need to speak with an agent to finalize your purchase.
- Go to the Farmers Insurance website, enter your ZIP code and click Get a quote.
- Fill out your personal information and address, then click Start your quote.
- Enter your vehicle information, then continue through each step until you are given the option to add your vehicle
- Fill in your driver info, enter your contact information and add any other drivers. Click Continue to keep moving through the questions.
- Choose your start date, then click Select July 2021.
- Review and adjust your coverage options, then hit Continue.
- You’ll be given a quote number and matched with an agent who can walk you through the next steps.
Discounts on Farmers auto insurance
Depending on your state, policy, driving record and a number of other factors, you may be eligible for some of the many discounts on Farmers auto insurance.
- Affinity group. Active members of professional and business groups that partner with Farmers can snag this discount.
- Alternative fuel. Get better rates when you drive a vehicle that uses an alternative fuel system. Examples include electric vehicles and gas-electric hybrids.
- Distant student. Receive discounts if a student driver on your policy attends school away from home.
- Good student. Under-25s going to school full time who meet the academic standards set by Farmers may be able to save on their premiums.
- Homeowner. Save even more when you own your own home.
- Mature driver. Mature drivers can get better rates on auto insurance based on their experience after completing a driver safety course.
- Military. Farmers offers its military discount to people who are active duty, active reserves, retired military members or honorably discharged veterans through its affinity group discount.
- Multicar. Add more than one car to your policy and save.
- Multipolicy. Get better rates when you have multiple types of coverage with Farmers.
- Payments. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than monthly installments. You can also receive a discount for enrolling in autopay.
- Safe car. Receive better rates if your car is equipped with safety equipment like antilock brakes and antitheft devices.
- Signal program. You can receive a 5 to 15% discount on your auto insurance premiums when you use the Signal app to monitor your driving. Not available in all states.
- Teen driver. Qualify for a teen driver discount by keeping your young driver on your policy for two years. You can also get a separate discount when your young driver completes a driver safety course.
- Transfer. Receive a discount for switching from another auto insurance company.
What add-ons and perks does Farmers offer?
Farmers insurance boasts an impressive selection of add-ons, making it a solid choice if you’re looking for complete coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. After three years of no accidents, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident. This resets every three years.
- Car buying support. Farmers gives you access to a network of over 12,500 trusted car dealers to help make shopping for a car easier and more affordable.
- Customized equipment. Coverage for your custom car parts like a new stereo or chrome rims.
- Glass repair services. Farmers offers a glass repair program to provide minor repairs to your windows or windshield without having to file a claim.
- Loss of use. If you aren’t able to use your car after an accident and have to resort to public transit, taxis or other means, Farmers can reimburse you for any travel expenses you incur.
- Medical payments. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- New replacement. Farmers will pay to replace your car if it’s totaled within 24,000 and the first two model years.
- Original equipment manufacturer parts. Pays for repairs that use parts straight from the factory. Your car must be 10 years old or younger to purchase this coverage.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Rideshare insurance. If you’re a driver for companies like Lyft or Uber, limited liability coverage is typically provided for when you’re hauling passengers only. Farmers Insurance fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
- Roadside assistance. If your car breaks down, has a flat tire, or requires any sort of roadside assistance, Farmers has you covered 24/7. The Signal app also features CrashAssist, which helps connect you with emergency services and support making a claim after a crash.
Farmers auto insurance reviews and complaints
Farmers Insurance is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and earns an A+ rating from the agency, as of April 2021. Customer reviews are tougher than the BBB rating, though, giving Farmers an average rating of 1.46 out of 5 stars. Customers complain about unauthorized billing charges and that insurance agents are difficult to reach for claims or billing issues, leading to delayed claims or refunds.
However, Farmers Insurance Exchange received a 1.09 rating in the 2020 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private passenger vehicles. The industry standard is 1.00, showing that the company sees a typical number of complaints for its size.
In J.D. Power’s 2020 auto insurance surveys, Farmers typically scores below average for customer satisfaction in most US regions, except in North Central states where it scored slightly above the region’s average with 831 out of 1,000 points. The company also scores right at the industry average of 872 points out of 1,000 for claims satisfaction.
Along the same lines, about 20 customers rate Farmers with a 3.2 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot. Some customers cite also cite problems with billing or delayed claims, while positive reviews focus on helpful service through a local agent and low premiums after bundling.
Our star ratings for Farmers, explained
Our car insurance experts rate Farmers above average for its wide list of coverage and add-ons as well as its high business ratings with the BBB and AM Best. Its A rating with AM Best shows the company’s financial strength and ability to back up claims.
Compare alternatives to Farmers
Consider the policy features and benefits for Farmers’ competitors, and select Get quotes to view your customized rate.
What types of coverage does Farmers offer?
Farmers offers the standard coverage that you need to meet state requirements and get on the road.
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car in the event of a collision with another car, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
Pros and cons of Farmers auto insurance
- Personal support. If you prefer doing business with a person and not online, you can connect with one of Farmers 50,000 agents across the US.
- Long list of discounts and options. You could qualify for a variety of discounts to save money, or find nearly any type of coverage that you need for basic or added protection.
- In-app emergency response feature. The Signal app’s CrashAssist feature detects a crash and connects you to emergency services immediately.
- Catastrophe assistance. A mobile claims team is ready in case of fire, hurricane, earthquake or any other natural disaster.
- Average customer service. Farmers sees mixed reviews across customer reviews and rating sites, showing that its customer service is so-so.
- Can’t buy a policy online. While you can get a quote, you have to call an agent to iron out the details of your desired policy and start your coverage.
How to find a Farmers agent near me
You can locate a local Farmers agent online and reach out to your preferred or closest agent.
- From the Farmers homepage on its website click Find an agent
- Enter your city or zip code and click Search
- Scroll down to review your options or further refine your search by checking the Financial Service or Business Insurance box
You’ll be shown each agents phone number, address, distance from you and a star rating with reviews to help you choose an agent that’s right for you.
Frequently asked questions about Farmers car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.