Farmers auto insurance review
Expect competitive rates and many discounts with this long-time insurer.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want to choose from a selection of extras and special programs.
- Pick something else if you want to sign up for your policy online.
- Drivers in all 50 states can get personalized service from an agent.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, custom, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Plenty of discounts
- Catastrophe response for natural disasters
- Personal support from 50,000 agents across the US
- Rates depend on region
- Service depends on region
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Distant students – 23 or younger, 100+ miles away from home|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Starting from humble beginnings, Farmers has grown into a Fortune 500 company that covers more than 10 million households with a wide range of coverage. This insurer stands out for competitive rates and coverage, including several discounts and special programs that make it an attractive option for nearly anyone.
However, the inability to purchase coverage online and inconsistent rate structure could mean there are better options if these are your top priorities.
What types of coverage does Farmers offer?
Its policies are available in all 50 states through a network of almost 50,000 independent agents, providing both convenience and personalized service.
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car in the event of a collision with another car, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
What extras and add-ons does Farmers offer?
Farmers insurance boasts an impressive selection of optional extras, making it a great choice for those looking for complete coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. After three years of no accidents, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident. This resets every three years.
- Customized equipment. Coverage for your custom car parts like a new stereo or chrome rims.
- Glass repair services. Farmers offers a glass repair program to provide minor repairs to your windows or windshield without having to file a claim.
- Loss of use. If you aren’t able to use your car after an accident and have to resort to public transit, taxis or other means, Farmers can reimburse you for any travel expenses you incur.
- Medical payments. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- New replacement. Farmers will pay to replace your car if it’s totaled within 24,000 and the first two model years.
- Original equipment manufacturer parts. Pays for repairs that use parts straight from the factory. Your car must be 10 years old or younger to purchase this coverage.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Rideshare insurance. If you’re a driver for companies like Lyft or Uber, limited liability coverage is typically provided for when you’re hauling passengers only. Farmers Insurance fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
- Roadside assistance. If your car breaks down, has a flat tire, or requires any sort of roadside assistance, Farmers has you covered 24/7.
Discounts on Farmers auto insurance
Depending on your state, policy, driving record and a number of other factors, you may be eligible for some of the many discounts on Farmers auto insurance.
- Affinity group. Active members of professional and business groups that partner with Farmers can snag this discount.
- Alternative fuel. Get better rates when you drive a vehicle that uses an alternative fuel system. Examples include electric vehicles and gas-electric hybrids.
- Distant student. Receive discounts if a student driver on your policy attends school away from home.
- Good student. Under-25s going to school full time who meet the academic standards set by Farmers may be able to save on their premiums.
- Homeowner. Save even more when you own your own home.
- Mature driver. Mature drivers can get better rates on auto insurance based on their experience after completing a driver safety course.
- Multicar. Add more than one car to your policy and save.
- Multipolicy. Get better rates when you have multiple types of coverage with Farmers.
- Payments. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than monthly installments. You can also receive a discount for enrolling in autopay.
- Safe car. Receive better rates if your car is equipped with safety equipment like antilock brakes and antitheft devices.
- Signal program. You can receive a discount on your auto insurance premiums when you use the Signal app to monitor your driving.
- Teen driver. Qualify for a teen driver discount by keeping your young driver on your policy for two years. You can also get a separate discount when your young driver completes a driver safety course.
- Transfer. Receive a discount for switching from another auto insurance company.
Does Farmers Insurance offer any special programs?
Along with the Signal program to cut insurance costs and build better driving habits, Farmers has a car-buying service. It has access to a network of over 12,500 trusted car dealers to help make shopping for a car easier and more affordable.
Pros and cons of Farmers auto insurance
- Discounts. Get discounts when your student is away at college, you own a home, for transferring from another company and many more.
- Catastrophe response. A mobile claims team is ready in case of fire, hurricane, earthquake or any other natural disaster.
- Personal support. If you prefer to do your business in person, you’ll have no trouble connecting with one of 50,000 agents across the US.
- Rates depend on region. Since most of its business is on the West Coast, customers in other parts of the country may see higher rates.
- Service depends on region. Many of the catastrophe services Farmers offers apply only to certain geographic areas.
- Can’t get coverage online. While you can get a quote and iron out all of the details of your desired policy, you’ll need to contact an agent to purchase a policy.
Compare Farmers to other insurers
More alternatives to Farmers
- Farmers vs American Family
- Farmers vs Nationwide
- Farmers vs State Farm
- Farmers vs Travelers
- Farmers vs USAA
Farmers auto insurance reviews and complaints
Farmers Insurance is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and earns an A+ rating from the agency as of October 2020. Customer reviews are tougher, with an average rating of just over 2.5 star out of 5. Reviews left on the BBB site mention payment issues, trouble canceling coverage and denied claims, among many other complaints.
A lawsuit was filed against Farmers in April 2020 after it denied a business interruption claim the same day it was filed without proper investigation. Other claimants suggest they’ve experienced similar claim denials without thorough investigation following past catastrophes, like the 1994 Northridge earthquake. It’s unclear what the outcome of the lawsuit will be.
Farmers Insurance user reviews
How to apply for Farmers auto insurance
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to purchase coverage online. You’ll need to get a quote and then speak with an agent to actually purchase a policy. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Farmers Insurance website
- Enter your zip, then click Get a quote
- Fill out your personal information and address, then click Start your quote
- Enter your vehicle information, then continue through each step until you are given the option to add your vehicle
- Fill in your driver info and select Continue
- Enter your contact information and click Continue
- Add any additional drivers
- Choose your coverage start date, then click Select October 2020
- Review and adjust your coverage options, then hit Continue
- You’ll be given a quote number and matched with an agent who can walk you through the next steps
How to find a Farmers agent near me
You can locate a local Farmers agent online. Here are the steps:
- From the Farmers homepage on its website click Find an agent
- Enter your city or zip code and click Search
- Scroll down to review your options or further refine your search by checking the Financial Service or Business Insurance box
You’ll be shown each agents phone number, address, distance from you and a star rating with reviews to help you choose an agent that’s right for you.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Farmers Insurance
- Visit the Farmers Insurance website and select Report a claim from the Claims drop down
- Log in, look up a policy by number, or continue as a guest
- Click Let’s get your claim started
- Enter policy information, incident details and any other information you are asked for, then Submit
If you have an account, you’ll be able to monitor claim status and other details. If not, an agent will be in touch in the following weeks.
How do I contact Farmers Insurance?
There are a number of ways you can get in touch with Farmers Insurance, but first, you’ll need to visit the Contact us page.
- Find an agent online or by phone
- Send a message to customer service
- Contact the customer service line at 888-327-6335
Frequently asked questions about Farmers Insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.