Expect competitive rates and many discounts with this long-time provider
- Get a quote if you want to choose from a selection of extras and special programs.
- Pick something else if you want to sign up for your policy online.
- Drivers in all 50 states can get personalized service from an agent.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes, cars under 2 years old|
- Plenty of discounts
- Catastrophe response for natural disaster.s
- Personal support from 50,000 agents across the US
- Rates depend on region
- Service depends on region
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Distant students – 23 or younger, 100+ miles away from home, Transfer discount – Switch to Farmers with no lapse in coverage|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
What sets Farmers Insurance apart?
Farmers Insurance knows it’s important to give back. The company has a history of dedication to the communities it serves and a commitment to dedicate time and resources to disaster resilience, education and civic engagement. So you can feel good about your insurance choice.
Who is Farmers auto insurance best for?
Farmers insurance boasts an impressive selection of optional extras, making it a great choice for those looking for comprehensive coverage. Its policies are available in all 50 states through a network of almost 50,000 independent agents, providing both convenience and personalized service.
What types of coverage does Farmers offer?
Farmers offers an assortment of coverage options to protect you and your vehicle. Here’s what you can expect:
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury protection coverage. If you or anyone in your car is ever hurt in an accident, medical coverage pays for medical expenses.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Extended customized equipment. Coverage for your custom car parts like a new stereo or chrome rims.
- Rideshare insurance. If you’re a driver for companies like Lyft or Uber, limited liability coverage is typically provided for when you’re hauling passengers only. Farmers Insurance fills in the gaps between riders so that you’re always covered.
- Signal Program. Signal is a mobile app offered by Farmers that analyzes your driving habits and patterns to help you improve your abilities.
Discounts on Farmers auto insurance
Depending on your state, policy, driving record, and a number of other factors, you may be eligible for some of the many discounts on Farmers auto insurance:
- Distant student discounts. Receive discounts if a student driver on your policy attends school away from home.
- Mature driver discounts. Mature drivers can get better rates on auto insurance based on their experience
- Safety discounts. Receive better rates if your car is equipped with safety equipment like anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, and so on.
- Multi-line policies. Get better rates when you have multiple types of coverage with Farmers
- Signal Program. You can receive a discount on your auto insurance premiums when you use the Signal app and program.
- Youthful Driver. You may be eligible for a discount if you have young drivers, under 25, on your policy
- Alternative Fuel. Get better rates when you drive a vehicle that uses an alternative fuel system. Examples include electric vehicles, gas/electric hybrids, etc.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than monthly payments.
- Transfer. Receive a discount for switching from another auto insurance provider.
Does Farmers Insurance offer any special programs?
Farmers offers a handful of special programs to provide peace of mind on and off the road. From extended coverage to an informative learning center, here’s a taste of what’s available.
- New Car Pledge. Farmers will pay to replace your car if it’s totaled in the first two model years or within 24,000 miles.
- Accident forgiveness. After five years of no accidents, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident.
- Small-claim forgiveness. After a small at-fault accident, your premium won’t go up.
- Incident forgiveness. If no claims are filed after an incident, like a speeding ticket, your premium won’t go up. This is not available in all states.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Y.E.S Program. A safe driving program complete with videos, quizzes, and real-world examples to promote safe and responsible driving in teens.
- Farmers Inner Circle. Farmers’ website offers a comprehensive learning center to educate visitors on the ins and outs of insurance.
- Paperless billing. Farmers offers paperless billing to help cut down on waste and cost.
- Roadside assistance. If your car breaks down, has a flat tire, or requires any sort of roadside assistance, Farmers has you covered.
- Loss of use. If you aren’t able to use your car after an accident and have to resort to public transit, taxis, or other means, farmers can reimburse you for any travel expenses you incur.
- Glass repair services. Farmers offers a glass repair program to provide minor repairs to your windows or windshield without having to file a claim.
- Car shopping service. Farmers has access to a network of over 12,500 trusted car dealers to help make shopping for a car easier and more affordable.
Pros and cons of Farmers auto insurance
- Discounts. Get discounts when your student is away at college, owning a home, transferring from another provider, and many other circumstances.
- Catastrophe response. A mobile claims team is ready in case of fire, hurricane, earthquake or any other natural disaster.
- Personal support. If you prefer to do your business in person, you’ll have no trouble connecting with one of 50,000 agents across the US.
- Rates depend on region. Since most of its business is on the West Coast, customers in other parts of the country may see higher rates.
- Service depends on region. Many of the catastrophe services Farmers offers apply only to certain geographic areas.
- Can’t get coverage online. While you can get a quote and iron out all of the details of your desired policy, you’ll need to contact an agent to purchase a policy.
Farmers auto insurance customer reviews
Farmers Insurance has been accredited on the official BBB website since 1951 and boasts an impressive A+ rating to match. It also holds a composite score of 3.85 out of a possible 5 stars. However, despite the official ratings, there are almost 700 customer complaints filed on the BBB website. Customers mention payment issues, trouble canceling coverage and denied claims, among many other complaints.
Keep in mind that many customers won’t bother to post positive reviews online, which is often why there are so many more negative reviews. You should always do your research and speak with actual customers to get a better idea of what to expect from a provider.
How to apply for Farmers auto insurance
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to purchase coverage online. You’ll need to get a quote and then speak with an agent to actually purchase a policy. Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the Farmers Insurance website, enter your zip, then click “Get a quote”
- Fill out your personal information and address, then click “Start your quote”
- Enter your vehicle information or VIN number, then continue through each step until you are given the option to add your vehicle.
- Enter your driver information including occupation, age you started driving, etc., then click continue.
- Enter your contact information (email and phone number) then click continue.
- Add any additional drivers, or skip that step and continue.
- Choose when you’d like your coverage to begin, then click “Select March 2019”.
- Review and adjust your coverage options, then click continue.
- You’ll be given a quote number and matched with an agent who can walk you through the next steps.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Farmers Insurance
- Visit the Farmers Insurance website and select “Report a claim” from the “Claims” drop down
- Log in, look up a policy by number, or continue as a guest. Click “Let’s get your claim started”
- Enter policy information, incident details, and any other information you are asked for, then submit.
- If you have an account, you’ll be able to monitor claim status and other details. If not, an agent will be in touch in the following weeks.
How do I contact Farmers Insurance?
There are a number of ways you can get in touch with Farmers Insurance, but first, you’ll need to visit the “Contact Us” page.
- Find an agent online or by phone
- Send a message to customer service
- Contact the customer service line at 1-888-327-6335
What is Farmers Insurance?
Farmers Insurance was founded in the 1920s to insure the vehicles of rural farmers, driven by a desire to provide quality insurance at affordable prices. Leaders in the industry, Farmers was the first to offer options that are now standard, like comprehensive car coverage and interest-free monthly premium payments.
Today Farmers Insurance is much more than auto insurance, with offices all across the country and policies available in every state. From its humble beginnings, this provider has grown into a Fortune 500 company that covers more than 10 million households.
Does Farmers offer any other types of insurance?
Yes. Farmers Insurance offers many other types of insurance policies. Here are just a few of the many policies available:
Compare Farmers to other providers
Farmers is a nationwide Insurance company that specializes in collision coverage but offers a range of other auto insurance options. This provider stands out for corporate giving efforts and competitive rates, but it’s long list of discounts and special programs make it an attractive option for anyone.
However, the inability to purchase coverage online and inconsistent rate structure might mean that there are better options in your area. To find the best rates and coverage, compare your available policy options and providers before signing a contract.