We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Family cards that’ll make parents happy
Earn rewards on groceries, gas, streaming services, travel and more.
Some of the best rewards credit cards currently on the market are great for families. Some of these cards are straightforward and let you earn rewards on popular categories such as groceries and gas. Others come with a more subtle — yet valuable — rewards structure where you get to choose which category earns the highest rewards during a quarter.
Compare family credit cards
Best credit cards for families
Best credit card for families for grocery shopping: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
This is the only credit card that offers the highest cashback rate on purchases made at US supermarkets. What’s more, you get to earn accelerated cash back on streaming services, transit purchases and gas stations. Plus you get to save money on interest with a long intro APR period on purchases and balance transfers.
- Cash back. Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 each year, reverting to 1% after reaching the cap. Also, earn 6% cash back on US streaming services, 3% cash back at US gas stations and transit purchases and 1% on all other purchases.
- Intro APR period. Get 12 months of 0% intro APR period on purchases and balance transfers made in the first 60 days of card membership (see rates & fees). Once the intro period expires, your rate reverts to 14.49% to 25.49% variable.
- Welcome offer. Earn $250 in statement credit once you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months when you open your account.
Best credit card for families for reward flexibility: U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card
Similar cards rotate the categories with the highest cashback rate each quarter and you usually don’t know what these categories are until you reach the quarter. But this family card lets you choose which categories earn the highest cashback rate each quarter based on your expenses. You can choose select clothing stores, department stores, furniture stores, electronics stores, cell phones and more (see rates & fees).
- Cash back. Earn 5% cash back on two categories you choose on up to $2,000 each quarter, after reaching the cap you earn 1% cash back. Earn 2% cash back either on gas or groceries, and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Intro APR period on balance transfers. Use 12 billing cycles to pay for balance transfers with an intro APR. But you have to make the transfers within the first 60 days when you open your account. After that, your rate reverts to 15.49% to 24.99% variable.
- Signup bonus. Earn $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 in your first 90 days of card membership.
Best credit card for families who dine out: Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card a great cash back rate on dining without paying an annual fee – in fact, with the change to the Uber Visa Card, the Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card credit card is one of the best picks on the market for cash back on dining. Plus, the built in security features and travel insurance makes this a great choice for travelers.
- Cash back. Earn an unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment purchases, 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on everything else.
- Signup bonus. Earn $300 cash back after you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months of account opening.
- Annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
Best credit card for family travel: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® comes with rewards on travel purchases and dining worldwide, and it gives you peace of mind with one of the most extensive complimentary insurances that cover the primary cardholder and their immediate family. International travelers get to enjoy Visa worldwide acceptance.
- Rewards points. Earn 3x points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1x points on all other purchases.
- Points worth more on travel. Redeem your points for travel purchases via the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and get 50% more value for your points. This makes the 3x points on travel and dining worth 4.5x.
- Travel credit. Get $300 in statement credit as reimbursement for your travel purchases every year on your credit card anniversary.
How we picked our best cards
We compared all credit cards with perks and benefits for the family budget, and we weighed in features such as rewards categories, annual fee, intro APR period and additional features. And then we chose the cards that were best suited for certain types of family spending.
How to compare family cards
When looking for the best family card, these are the two main points to consider:
- Spending habits. Where does your family budget go? There are cards with accelerated rewards on groceries, transit and gas, streaming services and travel. Make sure you pick the card that will get you the highest value.
- Annual fee. Most family cards have no annual fee. But if you’re looking for the ultimate perks, expect to pay up to $450 for the top-of-the-line cards.
Families get to enjoy some of the best rewards credit cards. Based on your family spending, you can earn accelerated rewards on groceries, streaming services, gas, travel or even online shopping.
But if none of our picks appeal to your financial situation, compare other credit cards until you find the right card for your wallet.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert