Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Fall vacation ideas
Plan the perfect autumn getaway for a season of rest and relaxation.
We are big believers in the power of travel to help cleanse and bring a fresh perspective to daily life. And fall travel in particular can usher in closure before you embark on a brand new year.
On a budget? We’ve got good news: Fall is one of the best seasons for budget travel, because many destinations are in-between peak tourist seasons, which means you can score lower prices on accommodations.
Fall vacation ideas for 2021
On the heels of nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19, a fall getaway may be exactly what you need to recharge. That said, a socially distanced vacation is probably in order, which means favoring smaller towns and outdoorsy destinations over big cities.
Here are our best ideas for celebrating the season, in light of current events:
- Staycation. Whether you’re short on time or simply prefer staying close to home, booking a hotel room or vacation rental nearby can be a good way to clear your mind without traveling too far.
- Rent a cabin. That log cabin you’ve been daydreaming about, nestled in the woods? It actually exists. And this classic off-the-grid retreat comes with a side of sweeping views.
- Car camping. Pack a tent and an extra warm sleeping bag and put pedal to metal. You can reserve a spot at a privately owned campsite or camp on National Forest land for free — no reservations required.
- RV camping. An RV gives you the freedom to stop wherever you please (OK, not wherever, but you know what we mean). It’s possible to rent one for less than $100 nightly, combining your accommodations and transportation all in one. And no, most RVs don’t require a special license.
- Road trip. The perfect way to outrun the problems that plagued you in 2020, a road trip lets you meander the nation and go where you please. Take a weekend road trip to a place where stars in the night sky aren’t diluted by city lights.
- Fall foliage trips. It’s a cliché, but the best things in life are free — and that includes leaf peeping. If you decide to plan a fall foliage trip, be sure to pinpoint the peak dates for your chosen destination.
- National and State Parks. Pull out a map and find an oasis of nature near you. Or, gear up for a cross-country trip to a park further away, whether that be Yellowstone, Yosemite, Shenandoah or somewhere else.
Fall vacation spots
Since fall is a shoulder season for travel in many winter and summer vacation destinations — think ski resorts and beach towns — you’ll generally find lower prices and better deals on ideal accommodations during this time. Here are a few ideas to get your wanderlust whirring and your pocketbook purring:
- The Grand Canyon — Arizona. Autumn is the perfect time to check the Grand Canyon off your bucket list, as the summer crowds have dwindled and the hoards of snowbunnies have yet to descend. Stay in Flagstaff and hike in nearby Coconino National Forest when you’re not taking in those canyon views. Lodging should be at its cheapest in late September through early October.
- St. Augustine or St. Petersburg— Florida. These cities are on opposite sides of the state we know and love as Florida, but they’re both excellent to visit during fall thanks to beaches that are less crowded and temperatures that stay in the 70s and 80s. You’ll find good deals on beachfront hotels too, since autumn lands in between peak seasons.
- South Padre Island — Texas. Or any beach town that’s notorious for rowdy spring breakers. Fall is the best time to visit spring break hot spots, because you’ll get to take advantage of all the beach eateries without the hordes of frat boys.
Or if it’s fall foliage you have in mind…
- Upper Peninsula — Michigan. Looking to avoid the high prices of New England during leaf peeping season? Opt for the UP instead, a thickly forested area with over 300 waterfalls and more than 40 lighthouses, plus hiking trails galore along the shores of lakes Superior, Huron and Michigan. Be sure to bundle up.
Fall travel deals
Save on refundable hotels when you book now and stay later! Get an extra 8% off
Book by 3/14, Travel by 6/30/2021. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off highest rated hotels on your next booking
Top rated hotels at great prices. Guaranteed one of 3 hotels shown. Plus, get VIP discounts on future bookings. T&Cs apply.
Book your flight and hotel together. Save up to 40%
Disney cruises from $705 per person to the Caribbean
Disney Cruise Line deals starting from $213/night to Caribbean and other destinations
Save up to 25% on select Bahamian, Caribbean and Baja cruises with Disney
Up to 75% off travel deals
Huge savings on travel deals, including hotels, vacation rentals, vacation packages, flights, car rentals and sightseeing tickets.
Save up to 50% on flights and related services
Carnival cruises starting from just $55/night to the Bahamas and other destinations
Carnival cruises to the Caribbean starting from $179 per person
Save up to 83% off Carnival cruises to the Caribbean
Caribbean cruises from 4-7 nights from $179 per person. T&Cs apply.
Up to $1,000 to spend on board with Norwegian Cruise Line
Just book your next cruise vacation with Priceline Cruises and get up to $1,000 to use as a liquor, dining, and spa credit, along with other purchases made on the ship! T&Cs apply.
Up to 25% off US and Canada resort vacations
Explore our resort collection throughout the U.S. and Canada to find the perfect retreat and save up to 25%. Offer varies by hotel. T&Cs apply.
Last minute cruise deals from $33/night
Cruises from 3 to 15+ nights available from multiple lines. Get great deals on prime ships, routes, and rooms for bookings from a week or more out.
Fly now, pay later deals now available
Vacation packages now under $400
Flight and hotel included for getaways to: Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, NYC, Honolulu, Los Cabos, and more. T&Cs apply
Check out national park tours in the US and abroad
Discover amazing things to do everywhere you go
Paris activities and experiences
Save 40% on select Hotels
Tours in Fort Lauderdale from $12
Rome Segway Grand City Tour at night
Cheap flights to Paris from just $164 return
Book discounted flights to Paris, France with Delta, United Airlines, American Airlines, Air Canada, Lufthansa and other airlines.
Round trip flight offers to Europe from $479
Get a $25 Gift Card for each nght you stay
Limit 4 Gift Cards
Round trip flight offers to Asia from $645
Save up to 40% off same day bookings
Save 7.5% off 2020 Asia trips with Trafalgar! Book an adventure today!
Hotels in Malaysia
Cheap flights to Malaysia
$10 off on flight, minimum basket value $150
$20 off on flight, minimum basket value $250
Stay and get 4th night free
Save up to $250 on your next trip. Book with $21
Book trains, buses and flights in the US and Europe
Round trip bus fares from Dallas from $65
Round trip bus fares from Boston from $50
Round trip bus fares from LA to Las Vegas from $100
Let’s face it — the coronavirus pandemic has turned 2020 into an extraordinarily tough year. A fall excursion can help you hit the reset button as we bid adieu to this year and prepare for the next. But remember to bring a COVID travel kit along, stocked with essentials like hand sanitizer and extra face masks.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
7+ hotels offering workation packages
Book a workation at one of these hotels and get Internet, coffee, private space and more.
10 amazing vacations to take in 2021
Here’s how to make the most of your pent-up wanderlust.
Getting the travel itch? Act fast to fly from $21 with Frontier and $49 with JetBlue
Shop hundreds of one-way flights that cost less than $50 from these two major airlines.
Need a break from WFH? Expedia practically gives away 2-week remote vacations for just $20.20
The popular travel booking site puts a positive spin on 2020 with a deal just for remote workers.
Travel Tuesday deals for 2020
Save big on flights, hotels and more — the day after Cyber Monday.
How to plan a road trip during coronavirus
Best tips for planning a road trip and saving money along the way.
Fall foliage guide for 2020
See peak fall foliage dates across the USA.
Does insurance cover camping?
From bears to boats, know when your campout could use protection to cover all the possibilities.
How to buy stock in Airbnb (ABNB)
The vacation-rental giant wants to go public, but the filing isn’t guaranteed. Here’s how to buy in if it happens.
Best time to visit Yosemite National Park
Guide to Yosemite for first-time visitors, including accommodation, costs and things to do.
Ask an Expert