Shop distinctive handmade and vintage goods — all in one convenient marketplace.
Etsy is a global online community of designers, sellers, and lovers of unique items. It provides a marketplace-like platform that allows sellers to share their passion with others, and buyers to find items that are truly individual and made with love. Etsy also has a section for collectors and lovers of vintage items.
- Unique, handmade products
- Convenient messaging system between buyers and sellers
- Secure marketplace
- Steep fees for sellers
- Shipping times can be long, depending on the seller.
What you can buy from Etsy
The real question is, “What can’t you get from Etsy?” Considering the number of vendors and products sold, there are few things that aren’t available here. Just some of the most popular items on the marketplace include:
- Jewelry and accessories. Find everything from engagement rings to personalized jewelry, charm bracelets, body jewelry and more. Plus, shop handmade bags, scarves, hats and other custom accessories.
- Clothing and shoes. Browse one-of-a-kind vintage clothing, handmade items and much more.
- Home goods and decor. From unique gift items to custom-made furniture, signs and other decorative pieces, you’ll find just about everything you could need for the home on this marketplace.
- Wedding and party. If you need anything personalized or custom-made for your wedding, bachelor/bachelorette party, shower or other event, check Etsy for a fountain of ideas.
- Toys and entertainment. From books and stickers to stuffed animals and personalized baseball bats, Etsy offers a unique selection.
- Art and collectibles. Including a large selection of vintage goods and photography prints.
- Craft supplies. Shop custom stamps, to-do lists, planners, stencils, wax seal kits and more.
Shipping, payments and returns
Can I get free delivery?
It depends. Shipping fees and delivery policies are set by the individual sellers and outlined on the product page. Some sellers might offer free shipping — but others don’t. Message the seller if you’re unsure about shipping terms, fees or expected delivery times.
Shipping costs and options are determined by each individual shop owner and therefore vary. Many stores offer expedited shipping, although this might not be an option for personalized or custom orders. Items shipped with international delivery may take longer than usual to arrive to the US.
Pay for your order on Etsy’s secure website using all major credit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Returning your order
Return, refund and cancellation policies are handled directly by each seller. These policies should be outlined on the seller’s page and product page of the item you’re buying. Contact the seller directly to resolve any issues.
Can I exchange for a different color or size?
It depends on the return/exchange policies of the individual seller. Contact the shop directly to inquire about exchange policies or alert them of any issues with your purchase.
How do I return an item to Etsy?
Returns information is specific to each shop and should be outlined on the product page.
What sets Etsy apart?
With items from millions of sellers, Etsy has a massive collection of items — many of which are one-off and handmade from all around the world. So, there’s a good chance that what you’re purchasing is pretty unique.
Items sold here aren’t mass produced, and it’s designed to be like an online neighborhood shop or local marketplace.
What do people say about this brand?
Etsy gets rave reviews online for its wide selection of unique items. But quite a few sellers have reported issues with customer service and new policies and fees that make it difficult to earn a fair share of profit.
How can I contact customer support?
Message the individual seller for questions about their products and shipping and returns policies.
If you have an issue that needs Etsy’s attention, get in touch with the company:
- Call 844-659-3879.
- Fill out its online contact form.
- Live chat online.
If you’re on the hunt for something personalized or unusual, Etsy is worth a look. That said, there are lots of other sites that might have what you’re looking for too. Compare similar online marketplaces to find the best deal on exactly what you want.
Frequently asked questions
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's written more than 800 articles on the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
I have had nothing but good experiences shopping on Etsy. Many of my wedding items — including wooden save-the-date magnets, a customized return address stamper, wax seal kits and personalized sugar cookies — came from Etsy. I love the fact that you can easily message sellers with questions or special requests, and nearly everyone has been more than willing to help — even with fairly last-minute orders.
That said, I’ve read that Etsy’s new seller policies make it a bit harder for sellers to earn their fair share of profits. And I’ve noticed that more and more shops are now offering free shipping — something that Etsy has pushed for. While I’m certainly not complaining about free shipping from a buyer’s standpoint, I do have to wonder how much this might be hurting shop owners.