Esurance home insurance review
Design your own policy with a wide range of standard and optional coverages and discounts.
- Get a quote if you want a wide array of discounts and add-ons.
- Pick something else ifyou don’t qualify for its lowest rates.
- Both new and loyal customers can save on premiums.
All 50 states
- Easy online experience
- Wide range of discounts
- 24/7 claims
- Bundling not available everywhere
- Higher base rates
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Backed by the financial strength of its parent company, Allstate, Esurance is a reliable provider. Along with its user-friendly site, it stands out for its unique coverage, including fire department charge coverage and a discount for doing a DIY home inspection.
But if you’re not eligible for the many discounts, you might be able to find cheaper rates by comparing home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Esurance offer?
Esurance sells a suite of home insurance coverage to safeguard your home and belongings. Your policy might cover:
- Dwelling protection. Pays for the damage to your home and any connected structures (like a deck) caused by accidents and disasters.
- Other structures protection. Insures any structures that aren’t attached to your property, such as sheds and fences. The default limit is set at 10% of your dwelling protection.
- Additional living expenses coverage. Covers the cost of relocating you if you have to leave your home temporarily due to a loss. In some states, the coverage lasts up to 24 months.
- Water backup coverage. Helps to repair water damage caused by drains and sump pumps. Typically, you can buy between $5,000 and $25,000 of coverage.
- Personal property insurance. Protects and replaces your belongings if they’re damaged or stolen — even if you don’t keep them inside your home.
- Family liability protection. Steps in to pay for legal expenses if your negligence injures other people or damages their property. It can also cover your legal defense, if it comes to that.
- Guest medical protection. Buy up to $5,000 in coverage for the medical bills for anyone injured on your property.
What optional coverage can I get?
In addition to standard coverage, consider some of these add-ons you won’t find with every home insurer.
- Fire department charges coverage. If the fire department responds to a call to your home, this coverage kicks in to cover the cost.
- Building codes coverage. If your home is damaged, but city ordinances or codes require you to rebuild in a way that exceeds the value of your home insurance policy. This coverage will pay for the difference in cost up to the limit you purchase.
- Increased building structure coverage. Offers extra dwelling protection when your original limits aren’t enough. You can purchase 20% to 40% of your dwelling coverage.
- Identity theft expense coverage. If you’re a victim of identity theft, this coverage offers access to a service that will help you to repair the damage to your name and credit.
- Fair rental income protection. Rent out a space? This reimburses you for any lost rental income as a result of a covered loss.
- Home day care coverage. If you run an in-home day care center, this protects you in case of an accident.
- Extended premises. If you operate a two-, three-, or four-unit building, this coverage will extend your dwelling limit to all units — and cover you if a tenant is injured.
What discounts can I get with Esurance?
Esurance offers a huge array of discounts that may cut down the cost of your coverage. These include:
- DIY Home Inspection App discount. Download the DIY Home Inspection app and submit videos of key areas in your home within 20 days of your policy start date. Once you’re done, Esurance will review the footage and reward you with a $50 discount.
- Home safety features discount. If you have a burglar alarm, smoke detector, or water safety system in your home, you’ll score a discount of up to 15%.
- Smoke-free discount. Live with nonsmokers? That typically leads to a discount.
- Claim-free discount. Gone at least one year without filing a home insurance claim with Esurance? You’ll qualify for a discount.
- Storm shutter discount. Add storm shutters to all of the exterior windows in your home, and you could reduce your premium.
- Hail-resistant roof discount. If you take measures to protect your roof from hail damage, you’ll earn a discount.
- Welcome home discount. When you sign up with Esurance, they’ll apply a discount to the first two years of your policy.
- Loyal customer discount. And if you’ve been with Esurance for a year or more, you may be eligible for a loyalty discount.
- Preferred buyer discount. Pay your premium on time, every time, to qualify for this discount.
- Multipolicy discount. Bundle your home and auto insurance with Esurance to save up to 10%.
- Early signup discount. To earn this discount, set the start date of your homeowners policy to at least seven days after you purchase your policy.
Pros and cons of Esurance homeowners insurance
- Customizable coverage. Esurance has a long list of standard and optional coverages, so you can make your policy your own.
- Online experience. Seamlessly get a quote, change your coverage, contact your claim rep and manage your policy online.
- 24/7 claims. The claims department is available around-the-clock.
- Wide range of discounts. The provider offers a variety of discounts at both the household and policy level.
- Comprehensive website. The site is packed with useful information and lays out your insurance options in an easy-to-digest way. It also has a handy home insurance calculator.
- Financial strength. Esurance is a subsidiary of Allstate, and has an A+ rating with AM Best. In simple terms, this means it has the financial resources to pay out claims.
- Exceptions to the bundling discount. Because Esurance doesn’t offer auto insurance nationwide, residents in some states can’t bundle their home and auto policies.
- Not always the cheapest base rates. While Esurance has a generous discount program, you might be able to find better base rates with another provider.
How to apply for Esurance home insurance
To apply for coverage, call 866-439-5633 or complete the online application.
These are the steps:
- Head to the Esurance website.
- Under Insurance, press Homeowners Insurance.
- Type in your ZIP code and click Get a Quote.
- Enter your name, address, if the address listed is your primary home and if you currently have an esurance policy.
- The system will then pull some information from public records about your property. Review the records, and then fill in the gaps.
- Describe the interior and exterior of the home, and share who else lives there.
- Assess your quote, and adjust the coverage as needed. Once you’re happy, you can purchase the policy.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Esurance?
The application asks for this information:
- Personal and contact details
- Claims history
- Details about your home, including the year it was built and the foundation it sits on