Esurance commercial auto insurance review Nov 2020
Choose from a long list of coverage and submit photo claims on the go.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
This online-friendly company makes it quick and easy to sign up and manage your policies online. Its mobile app lets you submit photo claims, contact a claims representative and track repairs.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Online support
- Financial stability
- Wide commercial coverage
- Business discounts
- Quick claims
- Not a direct underwriter
- Not in all 50 states
- Internet focused
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Esurance works well for businesses seeking additional coverage and you could even get business discounts. It also offers an easy mobile claims process and online support experience. However, coverage isn’t offered in all 50 states.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Esurance?
Esurance provides commercial insurance in 43 US states. Coverage isn’t available in Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, Vermont and Wyoming.
What commercial car insurance coverage does Esurance offer?
This company gives businesses a variety of policies, including customizable add-ons.
- Liability. Protect the other driver from damage expenses when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Collision. Pay for damages to your own vehicle when you collide with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive. Repair damage related to vandalism, theft, fire and more.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Pay for your vehicle damage and medical expenses when the other driver at fault doesn’t have enough insurance to cover you.
- Medical payments. Get medical bills covered when they’re related to an accident.
- Non-owners. Get liability coverage for employees who drive business vehicles.
- Loading and unloading. Protect your vehicle and employees from damages or injuries while loading or unloading goods.
- Towing and labor. Cover the costs of a tow truck and other roadside assistance.
- Rental reimbursement. Get a rental car to do business for up to 30 days while your vehicle is at the mechanic.
- Sound system. Protect your sound system and your customers’ luxury ride experience against theft or damage.
- Inland marine. Cover your business tools and equipment during shipping or while at a work site. This coverage protects against both theft and damage.
- Hired automobile. Renting a car for short-term travel? Extend liability and physical damage coverage to that car too.
What features does Esurance offer for businesses?
You’ll get these extra features with your policy at no extra cost. Be sure to check with customer service on availability in your state though.
- Subsidiary company coverage. Get protection for a subsidiary company, a company that’s owned or controlled by another main company.
- Blanket additional insured. Work with other businesses and people on temporary jobs? Get liability coverage for them until the job is finished.
- Temporary vehicles. Protect leased work vehicles against physical damages while your owned vehicles are in the shop. There may be weight limits on this coverage.
- Personal effects. Get coverage up to $500 against theft of personal items in a work vehicle. This applies when you get comprehensive coverage or coverage for specified causes.
- Collision deductible waiver. Erase your deductible if you get into an accident with another vehicle insured by the same company.
- Glass repair deductible waiver. Skip the deductible for glass damage when you repair it rather than replace.
- Lease and loan gaps. Pay off your car loan or lease in instances of a total loss. Insurance applies to amounts not covered by the accident claim.
- Fellow employees. Protect your business if one employee injures another in an accident.
- Unintentional errors or omissions. Get covered even if you make a mistake filing your initial claim.
- Supplementary payment. This coverage pays the cost of defending your business against claims or lawsuits covered by the policy, including trial, lawyer and court fees.
Which commercial vehicles does Esurance cover?
Esurance covers a wide variety of business vehicles, including the vehicles listed below. Ask an agent about coverage options for your specific company vehicle.
- Company cars
- Pickup trucks
- Utility vans
- Catering trucks
- Bucket trucks
- Dump trucks
- Box trucks
- Refrigerator trucks
- Stakebed trucks
Pros and cons of Esurance commercial car insurance
- Online support. Esurance is known for its online-based model, especially its helpful mobile app. File claims with photos, contact your claims rep, add or edit cars, track repairs and access your digital insurance ID all from the mobile app.
- Financial stability. Allstate backs up this company’s finances to guarantee claim payouts.
- Wide commercial coverage. Esurance has 21 coverage options listed on its website.
- Business discounts. Businesses can save money by paying the premium in full or staying claims-free for three years.
- Quick claims. Get quick estimates when you file claims with photos through the mobile app. In some cases, this step could save you from an in-person claims inspection.
- Not a direct underwriter. Esurance only provides commercial car insurance underwriting through one of its partners.
- Not in all 50 states. The company only provides coverage in 43 states.
- Internet focused. While the company has phone and mailing options, it caters to a tech-savvy crowd
Compare Esurance commercial car insurance to competitors
Esurance commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
Esurance backs up its name under Allstate, its more widely known parent insurance company. On its own, however, Esurance is rated an A- by the BBB. That rank is still high, despite the company’s failure to respond to two complaints in the last year. The company also maintains a Superior (A+) rating with A.M. Best, reflecting its guaranteed support by Allstate, as of October 2020.
Esurance’s consumer ratings across all its insurance products stay above average. Consumers Advocate rates the company at a 9.4 out of 10. The site praises Esurance’s innovative model, wide coverage and variety of discounts. However, according to JD Power’s Insurance Shopping Study, the company has middle-of-the-line marks in most areas, except its customer service where it ranked highest.
Be aware that your commercial policy won’t be underwritten by Esurance directly. Commercial auto and some other business policies such as general liability are written through parent company Allstate or partner company Commercial Insurance.NET.
How to contact Esurance
Get in touch with the company seven days a week:
- Phone. Call customer service at 800-ESURANCE from 6 a.m.–12 a.m. CT.
- Claims rep. When you file a claim, a representative will respond within 24 hours.
- Online. Manage your account and submit claims online. Visit the online resources to compare quotes, read the blog, and get policy advice from the Coverage Counselor.
- Email. Fill in the email form from the website’s Get in Touch page. Esurance tries to respond within 24 hours.
- Mail. Send mail to customer service at Esurance Customer Service,
- PO Box 5250, Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5258.
Common questions about Esurance commercial auto
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.