Esurance car insurance review
Compare affordable, comprehensive coverage with this highly rated online provider.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want cheap rates and a convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want to avoid autopay and cancellation fees.
- Offers some of the cheapest rates around to safe drivers
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|New car protection||Yes|
- First-rate site with quotes in minutes
- Competitive pricing
- A+ BBB rating
- Hidden fees
- Direct online company
- Autopay required
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Committed to a modern approach to insurance, Esurance sells car and home insurance online and by phone. This provider is highly respected for its reasonable rates and excellent customer service. Its innovative business model also includes a strong financial backing by Allstate.
However, you won’t have access to local agents, and you could face steep cancellation fees if leave the insurer before your contract ends. Esurance also keeps it customer experience primarily online, using an intuitive website and mobile app to manage your account or file claims. The online convenience is a plus for many drivers but a downside for those wanting more personal service.
Esurance car insurance quotes
|18 year old male||$1,057||$8,585||$3,283|
|18 year old female||$1,035||$7,665||$2,566|
|25 year old male||$473||$3,625||$1,014|
|25 year old female||$466||$3,407||$859|
|35 year old male||$340||$2,423||$548|
|35 year old female||$335||$2,926||$563|
|45 year old male||$333||$2,423||$548|
|45 year old female||$334||$2,937||$587|
|56 year old male||$314||$2,220||$505|
|56 year old female||$311||$2,433||$488|
Where is Esurance available?
With availability in 43 states across the US, a better question is, where isn’t Esurance available? If you live in any of these seven states, you’ll need to look elsewhere for car insurance:
- New Hampshire
What car insurance does Esurance offer?
Esurance offers a full suite of auto insurance policies and a number of tools to help you find the coverage that’s right for you. Here’s what types of auto insurance coverage Esurance offers:
- Medical payments. Covers accident-related medical expenses, even if you are a pedestrian.
- Personal injury protection. PIP coverage varies by state but generally fills the gaps by covering indirect expenses like lost wages or nursing care after a car accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Collision. A key component of “full coverage,” pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside fees necessary after an accident.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for your rental car while your car is in the shop.
- Loan/lease gap coverage. If an accident totals a car you’re financing or leasing, this coverage pays the difference between what your insurer will cover and the remainder of your existing loan or lease.
- Customized parts and equipment. Insures electronics and performance mods up to $4,000, like your stereo system, headrest TVs and that custom paint job that makes your car yours.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist liability. Helps with bills if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- SR-22. Also known as a certificate of fiscal responsibility, Esurance can provide SR-22 for drivers mandated by state law.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Esurance offer?
On top of Esurance’s coverage and service, it offers a number of special programs to help protect you and your vehicle.
- CoverageMyWay. An innovative quote system that provides unique policies tailored to your needs.
- DriveSense. A mobile app that monitors your driving habits and can provide personalized discounts
- Roadside assistance. Get help if you encounter any roadside emergencies. This program protects you if you come across flat tires, engine issues, lockouts, and more.
- Rental car coverage. Get additional coverage to pay for the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop.
- Mobile app. Esurance offers a great mobile app where you can manage your account, speak to representatives, file claims, and more.
- E-Star Direct Repair Program. A network of over 1,400 repair shops where repairs are guaranteed for life. Also provides access to the RepairView Program which allows you to monitor progress on your vehicle.
- DriveSafe Teen Driver Program. A telematics device paired with a mobile app helps monitor your teen’s driving habits and limits cell phone use.
What discounts can I get with Esurance?
Esurance employs a modern approach to auto insurance using smart technology to maximize efficiency. Its innovative strategy allows it to pass down savings to its customers through personalized sets of discounts. Here are a few of its many discounts that can help bring down the cost of your policy:
- Multi-policy discount. Receive a discount for bundling homeowners or motorcycle insurance with your auto insurance policy.
- Switch and save discount. Get discounted rates for switching from your current auto insurance provider to Esurance.
- Fast 5 discount. Save 5% by starting a quote online with Esurance.
- Paid in full discount. Save up to 10% by paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- DriveSense discount. Download the DriveSense mobile app for an initial discount of 5% and keep using it after your first policy term to earn a personalized discount based on your driving habits.
- Good driver discount. Save up to 30-40% on your auto insurance with Esurance if you have one or fewer penalty points on your driving record.
- Multi-car discount. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Good student discount. Save up to 10% on certain coverage if you are a student under 25 who maintains a 3.0 GPA or “B” average.
- Anti-theft discount. Save 5-25% for having anti-theft systems installed on your vehicle.
- Safety device discount. Save between 2-33% when insuring a vehicle with manufacturer-installed airbags or automatic seat belts
Pros and cons of Esurance
- First-rate website. Get auto insurance coverage easily in a matter of minutes. (We counted.)
- Competitive pricing. Users celebrate affordable rates, especially for those with excellent driving records.
- A- BBB rating. Esurance gets high marks for customer service and transparency.
- Tools and programs. Esurance offers a suite of tools and programs to make getting coverage easier, improve your driving habits, and reduce your rates.
- Mobile app. Esurance offers a great mobile app that gives you control over your policy. Make payments, adjust coverage, file claims and more.
- Hidden fees. Customers complain about charges for check payments, paper statements and — more of a problem — policy cancellations that can be 10% of your remaining premium balance.
- Direct company. Because Esurance is fully online, you won’t have a local agent to call or visit with policy concerns.
- Autopay required. To go through Esurance, you’re required to sign up for automatic withdrawals from your bank account.
How to apply for Esurance
Esurance prides itself on its ability to offer coverage directly to customers through its online platform and by phone. Getting coverage only takes minutes, and here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Esurance website and click “Start a new quote.” Enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote.”
- Enter your personal information (name, address, and date of birth), then click continue.
- Enter your vehicle information (make, model, usage, etc), then click continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click continue.
- Review your info and coverage details, then click “continue online” to finish purchasing coverage.
Phone. If you’d rather apply for auto insurance with Esurance by phone, you can start the process by calling 1-800-378-7262 and speaking with a representative.
What do customers say about Esurance?
While Esurance is not officially accredited on the BBB website, it does hold an impressive A- rating. However, there’s no shortage of customer complaints. Of over 50 customer reviews, most are negative — and that’s not counting the 300 total customer complaints.
Many customers report issues with billing and collection issues, rate increases and poor customer service. While it can be tough to look past all of the negativity, keep in mind that customers are more likely to report negative experiences, which can make it tough to get an unbiased perspective.
How to contact Esurance
There are a number of ways you can reach Esurance, but you can start by visiting the Esurance website. Here are a few other ways you can get in touch.
- Phone: 800-378-7262
- Email: Through its online form
- Facebook: @Esurance
- Twitter: @EsuranceCares
Compare Esurance alternatives
Frequently asked questions about Esurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.