Esurance car insurance review 2021
Check out comprehensive coverage and its app that customers love. But it's an online-focused service.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want cheap rates and a convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want to avoid autopay and cancellation fees.
- Offers some of the cheapest rates around to safe drivers
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone, In-person|
- Online quotes in minutes
- Competitive pricing
- Mobile claims filing
- Hidden fees
- Direct online company
- Autopay required
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Esurance car insurance quotes
To get an idea of how much you’ll pay, check out the sample monthly rates that we sourced for Esurance’s car insurance policy.
|18 year old male||$1,057||$8,585||$3,283|
|18 year old female||$1,035||$7,665||$2,566|
|25 year old male||$473||$3,625||$1,014|
|25 year old female||$466||$3,407||$859|
|35 year old male||$340||$2,423||$548|
|35 year old female||$335||$2,926||$563|
|45 year old male||$333||$2,423||$548|
|45 year old female||$334||$2,937||$587|
|56 year old male||$314||$2,220||$505|
|56 year old female||$311||$2,433||$488|
How to get a free quote for Esurance
Getting coverage takes minutes online, or you can call to speak with a rep at 800-378-7262. To start your online quote:
- Go to the Esurance website and select Start a new quote.
- Enter your ZIP code, then choose Get a quote.
- Fill in your name, address and date of birth, then hit Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, including make, model, usage and VIN, then choose Continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then select Continue.
- Review your info and coverage details, then hit Continue online to finish purchasing coverage.
What discounts can I get with Esurance?
Esurance offers a ton of discounts to help bring down the cost of your policy — and you’ll save big if you don’t have many violations in your driving history.
- Good driver. Save up to 30% to 40% on your auto insurance with Esurance if you have one or fewer penalty points on your driving record. Get another discount of up to 10% if you meet the age requirement in your state and take a driver safety course.
- Good student. Save up to 10% on certain coverage if you’re a student under 25 who maintains a 3.0 GPA or B average.
- Multiple cars. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Bundling. Receive a discount for bundling homeowners or motorcycle insurance with your auto insurance policy.
- Online quote. Save 5% by starting a quote online with Esurance.
- Paid in full. Save up to 10% by paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety device. Save between 5% and 25% when insuring a vehicle with manufacturer-installed airbags or automatic seat belts. Having antilock brakes can net you another 5%. And save another 5% to 25% for having an antitheft system.
- Switch and save. Get a 5% discount for two policy terms just for switching from your current auto insurance to Esurance.
- Telematics. Download the DriveSense mobile app for an initial discount of 5% and keep using it after your first policy term to earn a personalized discount based on your driving habits.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Esurance offer?
This online-focused company offers several add-ons to boost your insurance protection.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside fees necessary after an accident.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for your rental car while your car is in the shop.
- Guaranteed repairs. Esurance has a network of over 1,400 repair shops where repairs are guaranteed for life. Also provides access to a program that allows you to monitor progress on your vehicle.
- Custom parts and equipment. Insures electronics and performance mods up to $4,000, like your stereo system, headrest TVs and that custom paint job that makes your car yours.
- Teen telematics. Join DriveSafe and get a telematics device that pairs with a mobile app to help monitor your teen’s driving habits and limit smartphone use.
Esurance car insurance reviews and complaints
While Esurance is not officially accredited on the Better Business Bureau website, it does hold an A- rating as of 2021. However, there’s no shortage of customer complaints. Of over 30 customer reviews, most are negative — and that’s not counting the nearly 300 customer complaints in the last 3 years.
Customers report issues with unexpected rate increases and billing charges, unwanted robo-calls after getting a quote and slow claims handling.
However, Esurance receives a rating of 1.05 on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index for private auto insurance. Since the industry standard is 1.00, Esurance’s rating shows that it sees an average number of customer complaints filed with the NAIC.
Esurance also ranked above average in the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study for California, though it was below the region’s average in Florida.
Our star ratings for Esurance, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Esurance above average because of its wide coverage options, strong finances and long list of available discounts. However, its average customer service ratings pulled down its overall rating.
Compare alternatives to Esurance
Check out other policies from a variety of companies to compare with Esurance. When you’re ready, select Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What’s happening with the Esurance brand?
Allstate announced that it would discontinue the Esurance brand and merge it with the Allstate parent company in 2020. However, for now, you can still get quotes through the Esurance website, though you’ll see Allstate’s branding.
What coverage can I get with Esurance?
Esurance offers a full suite of auto insurance policies and a number of tools to help you find the coverage that’s right for you.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Collision. Pays for repairs to your car if you’re in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). PIP coverage varies by state but generally fills the gaps by covering indirect expenses like lost wages or nursing care after a car accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist liability. Helps with bills if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Medical payments. Covers accident-related medical expenses, even if you’re a pedestrian.
- Gap coverage. If an accident totals a car you’re financing or leasing, this coverage pays the difference between what Esurance will cover and the remainder of your existing loan or lease.
- SR-22. Current and new policyholders can request that Esurance file this form for you for about $30. It could take up to two weeks to process the form, and needing an SR-22 typically causes a rate increase.
Esurance pros and cons
You might like Esurance’s intuitive self-service tools available online and in the app, along with its low prices. But you won’t get a dedicated local agent for a personalized experience here.
- First-rate website. Get auto insurance coverage in a matter of minutes — we tried it ourselves.
- Broad coverage. Esurance offers all the necessities and more, including gap and custom parts coverage, plus support for filing SR-22s.
- Competitive pricing. Customers praise its affordable rates, especially for those with excellent driving records.
- Tools and programs. Esurance offers a suite of online tools and programs to make it easier to get coverage, improve your driving habits and reduce your rates.
- Highly rated app. Esurance offers an intuitive app that lets you make payments, view your coverage, add or edit the cars you insure, file photo claims and even find gas stations nearby. Thousands of customers rave about it with a nearly 5-star rating on app stores.
- Hidden fees. Customers complain about charges for check payments, paper statements and — more of a problem — fees to cancel your policy up to 10% of your remaining premiums.
- No agents. Because Esurance is fully online, you won’t have a local agent to call or visit with policy concerns. You can contact customer support for questions, though.
- Autopay required. To go through Esurance, you’re required to sign up for automatic withdrawals from your bank account.
How to contact Esurance
There are a number of ways you can reach Esurance, but you can start by visiting the Esurance website. Other ways you can get in touch include:
- Phone: Call 800-378-7262
- Email: Use its online form
- Facebook: @Esurance
- Twitter: @EsuranceCares
Frequently asked questions about Esurance
What other types of insurance does Esurance offer?
Beyond car insurance, Esurance also directly offers homeowners insurance.
Also, go through Esurance to buy other types of protection with partnered insurers. Policy types include:
- ATV, boat, golf cart, motorcycle, personal watercraft, RV, segway, scooter, snowmobile and travel trailer
- Classic auto
- Commercial auto
- Condo and renters
- Mexico auto
How do I file a claim with Esurance?
File a claim with Esurance online, through the app or on the phone. Here are the details:
- Visit the Esurance website and select Car claims under the Claims tab.
- Scroll down and choose File your claim online.
- If you’re an Esurance policyholder, log in. If not, select Continue.
- Enter any necessary information, then hit Submit.
Filing a claim through the mobile app can help speed up the claims process, and it’s easier than filing online.
- Download the Esurance mobile app and create an account.
- Once you’re logged in, navigate to the Accidents and claims section.
- Select the option that best applies to your situation.
- Enter accident information, upload photos or chat with an agent to set up an inspection or appraisal.
- Once your claim has been filed, use the app to track claims progress.
- After bringing your car to an eligible shop, use the Repair View feature to track your car’s repairs.
Esurance also offers a 24/7 claims and customer service line for those who would rather file a claim over the phone. Speak with a representative by calling 800-378-7262.
Regardless of how you file your claim, you’ll need to provide:
- Your contact information.
- Details about the accident.
- Esurance policy information for the other party, such as policy number, driver’s license and address.
- Vehicle information for the other party.
- Your vehicle and insurance information.
How do I opt out of automatic payments with Esurance?
Autopay is required for all Esurance customers. But if you contact a representative you can adjust your future billing date.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Committed to a tech-savvy approach, Esurance sells car and home insurance online and by phone. This insurance company is respected for its reasonable rates and excellent online tools, and it’s backed by Allstate’s strong finances. Esurance also offers a suite of coverage and discounts to boost customer’s protection for less.
However, you won’t have access to local agents, and you could face steep cancellation fees if you leave Esurance before your contract ends. The company also keeps its customer service primarily online, using an intuitive website and app to manage your account or file claims.
The online convenience is a plus for many drivers but a downside for those wanting more personal service. If that’s you, consider other car insurance companies with the services and coverage to match your needs.
Otherwise, Esurance is a solid option if you prefer low rates and self-managed policies. Eventually, it may merge with the Allstate brand, although you can still get quotes through the Esurance website as of 2021.