Esurance car insurance review
Compare affordable, comprehensive coverage with this highly rated online provider.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want cheap rates and a convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want to avoid autopay and cancellation fees.
- Offers some of the cheapest rates around to safe drivers
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Online quotes in minutes
- Competitive pricing
- Mobile claims filing
- Hidden fees
- Direct online company
- Autopay required
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Committed to a modern approach to insurance, Esurance sells car and home insurance online and by phone. This provider is highly respected for its reasonable rates and excellent customer service. Its innovative business model also includes a strong financial backing by Allstate.
However, you won’t have access to local agents, and you could face steep cancellation fees if leave the insurer before your contract ends. Esurance also keeps it customer experience primarily online, using an intuitive website and mobile app to manage your account or file claims. The online convenience is a plus for many drivers but a downside for those wanting more personal service.
Esurance car insurance quotes
Compare sample annual rates for Esurance car insurance.
|18 year old male||$1,057||$8,585||$3,283|
|18 year old female||$1,035||$7,665||$2,566|
|25 year old male||$473||$3,625||$1,014|
|25 year old female||$466||$3,407||$859|
|35 year old male||$340||$2,423||$548|
|35 year old female||$335||$2,926||$563|
|45 year old male||$333||$2,423||$548|
|45 year old female||$334||$2,937||$587|
|56 year old male||$314||$2,220||$505|
|56 year old female||$311||$2,433||$488|
Esurance offers a full suite of auto insurance policies and a number of tools to help you find the coverage that’s right for you.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Collision. Pays for repairs to your car if you’re in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. PIP coverage varies by state but generally fills the gaps by covering indirect expenses like lost wages or nursing care after a car accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist liability. Helps with bills if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Esurance offer?
- Customized parts and equipment. Insures electronics and performance mods up to $4,000, like your stereo system, headrest TVs and that custom paint job that makes your car yours.
- Gap coverage. If an accident totals a car you’re financing or leasing, this coverage pays the difference between what Esurance will cover and the remainder of your existing loan or lease.
- Guaranteed repairs. Esurance has a network of over 1,400 repair shops where repairs are guaranteed for life. Also provides access to a program that allows you to monitor progress on your vehicle.
- Medical payments. Covers accident-related medical expenses, even if you’re a pedestrian.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for your rental car while your car is in the shop.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside fees necessary after an accident.
- SR-22. Also known as a certificate of fiscal responsibility, Esurance can file SR-22s for drivers who need one.
- Teen driver program. Join DriveSafe and get a telematics device that pairs with a mobile app to help monitor your teen’s driving habits and limit smartphone use.
What discounts can I get with Esurance?
Esurance employs a modern approach to auto insurance using smart technology to maximize efficiency. Here are a few of its many discounts that can help bring down the cost of your policy:
- Good driver discount. Save up to 30% to 40% on your auto insurance with Esurance if you have one or fewer penalty points on your driving record. Get another discount of up to 10% if you meet the age requirement in your state and take a driver safety course.
- Good student. Save up to 10% on certain coverage if you’re a student under 25 who maintains a 3.0 GPA or B average.
- Multicar discount. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Multipolicy. Receive a discount for bundling homeowners or motorcycle insurance with your auto insurance policy.
- Online quote. Save 5% by starting a quote online with Esurance.
- Paid in full. Save up to 10% by paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety devices. Save between 5% and 25% when insuring a vehicle with manufacturer-installed airbags or automatic seat belts. Having antilock brakes can net you another 5%. And save another 5% to 25% for having an antitheft system.
- Switch and save discount. Get discounted rates for switching from your current auto insurance provider to Esurance.
- Telematics. Download the DriveSense mobile app for an initial discount of 5% and keep using it after your first policy term to earn a personalized discount based on your driving habits.
Pros and cons of Esurance
- First-rate website. Get auto insurance coverage easily in a matter of minutes — we counted.
- Competitive pricing. Policyholders praise its affordable rates, especially for those with excellent driving records.
- Tools and programs. Esurance offers a suite of tools and programs to make it easier to get coverage, improve your driving habits and reduce your rates.
- Mobile app. Esurance offers a great mobile app that gives you control over your policy. Make payments, adjust coverage, file claims and more.
- Hidden fees. Customers complain about charges for check payments, paper statements and — more of a problem — policy cancellations that can be 10% of your remaining premium balance.
- Direct company. Because Esurance is fully online, you won’t have a local agent to call or visit with policy concerns.
- Autopay required. To go through Esurance, you’re required to sign up for automatic withdrawals from your bank account.
How to apply for Esurance
Getting coverage only takes minutes online or over the phone.
- Go to the Esurance website.
- Click Start a new quote.
- Enter your ZIP code, then click Get a quote.
- Fill in your name, address and date of birth, then click Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, including make, model, usage and VIN, then select Continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click Continue.
- Review your info and coverage details, then click Continue online to finish purchasing coverage.
If you’d rather apply for auto insurance with Esurance by phone, you can start the process by calling 800-378-7262 and speaking with a representative.
What do customers say about Esurance?
While Esurance is not officially accredited on the BBB website, it does hold an A- rating as of February 2020. However, there’s no shortage of customer complaints. Of almost 50 customer reviews, most are negative — and that’s not counting the 290 customer complaints in the last 3 years.
Many customers report issues with billing and collection issues, rate increases and poor customer service.
How to contact Esurance
There are a number of ways you can reach Esurance, but you can start by visiting the Esurance website. Here are a few other ways you can get in touch:
- Phone: Call 800-378-7262
- Email: Use its online form
- Facebook: @Esurance
- Twitter: @EsuranceCares
Compare alternatives to Esurance
Frequently asked questions about Esurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.