We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
Comprehensive coverage comes affordably with this highly rated digital provider — but watch for hidden fees.
Car insurance is a must-have, and it’s up to you to get the best coverage for when life happens. But choosing the right company can mean sifting through confusing legalese and countless deals — all for something you hope you never need. One of the first providers to sell insurance online directly to its customers, Esurance is a serious player in the auto insurance industry.
|Name||Esurance Car Insurance|
|Description||Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go.|
- First-rate site with quotes in minutes
- Competitive pricing
- A+ BBB rating
- Hidden fees
- Direct online company
- Autopay required
What is Esurance?
You might recognize this insurance giant from its hilarious commercials starring spokesperson John Krasinski. Founded in 1999 at the height of the dot-com bubble, Esurance aims to provide insurance for the modern world. Its innovative business model led to a $1 billion acquisition by Allstate in 2011.
Esurance is not your standard insurance company: Committed to its modern approach to insurance, it sells car and home insurance online and by phone. This provider is highly respected for its reasonable rates and excellent customer service, and with a network of over 3,000 helpful associates across the country, it’s no wonder why.
Where is Esurance auto insurance available?
With availability in 43 states across the US, a better question is where isn’t Esurance auto insurance available. If you live in any of these seven states, you may need to look elsewhere for auto insurance:
- New Hampshire
Who is Esurance auto insurance best for?
Packed with an arsenal of interactive tools, excellent customer service and great auto insurance coverage, Esurance auto insurance is best for anyone who values convenience and online access. While its prices may not be as low as some of the bare-bones auto insurance providers, higher premiums are a small price to pay for better coverage and great service
What types of coverage does Esurance offer?
Esurance offers a full suite of auto insurance policies and a number of tools to help you find the coverage that’s right for you. Here’s what types of auto insurance coverage Esurance offers:
- Medical payments. Covers accident-related medical expenses, even if you are a pedestrian.
- Personal injury protection. PIP coverage varies by state but generally fills the gaps by covering indirect expenses like lost wages or nursing care after a car accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Collision. A key component of “full coverage,” pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside fees necessary after an accident.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for your rental car while your car is in the shop.
- Loan/lease gap coverage. If an accident totals a car you’re financing or leasing, this coverage pays the difference between what your insurer will cover and the remainder of your existing loan or lease.
- Customized parts and equipment. Insures electronics and performance mods up to $4,000, like your stereo system, headrest TVs and that custom paint job that makes your car yours.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist liability. Helps with bills if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- SR-22. Also known as a certificate of fiscal responsibility, Esurance can provide SR-22 for drivers mandated by state law.
Discounts on Esurance auto insurance
Esurance employs a modern approach to auto insurance using smart technology to maximize efficiency. Its innovative strategy allows it to pass down savings to its customers through personalized sets of discounts. Here are a few of its many discounts that can help bring down the cost of your policy:
- Multi-policy discount. Receive a discount for bundling homeowners or motorcycle insurance with your auto insurance policy.
- Switch and save discount. Get discounted rates for switching from your current auto insurance provider to Esurance.
- Fast 5 discount. Save 5% by starting a quote online with Esurance.
- Paid in full discount. Save up to 10% by paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- DriveSense discount. Download the DriveSense mobile app for an initial discount of 5% and keep using it after your first policy term to earn a personalized discount based on your driving habits.
- Good driver discount. Save up to 30-40% on your auto insurance with Esurance if you have one or fewer penalty points on your driving record.
- Multi-car discount. Receive discounted rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Good student discount. Save up to 10% on certain coverage if you are a student under 25 who maintains a 3.0 GPA or “B” average.
- Anti-theft discount. Save 5-25% for having anti-theft systems installed on your vehicle.
- Safety device discount. Save between 2-33% when insuring a vehicle with manufacturer-installed airbags or automatic seat belts
Does Esurance offer any special programs?
On top of Esurance’s already great coverage and service, it offers a number of special programs to help protect you & your vehicle.
- CoverageMyWay – An innovative quote system that provides unique policies tailored to your needs.
- DriveSense – A mobile app that monitors your driving habits and can provide personalized discounts
- Roadside assistance – Get help if you encounter any roadside emergencies. This program protects you if you come across flat tires, engine issues, lockouts, and more.
- Rental car coverage – Get additional coverage to pay for the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop.
- Mobile app – Esurance offers a great mobile app where you can manage your account, speak to representatives, file claims, and more.
- E-Star Direct Repair Program – A network of over 1,400 repair shops where repairs are guaranteed for life. Also provides access to the RepairView Program which allows you to monitor progress on your vehicle.
- DriveSafe Teen Driver Program – A telematics device paired with a mobile app helps monitor your teen’s driving habits and limits cell phone use.
Pros and cons of Esurance auto insurance
- First-rate website. Get auto insurance coverage easily in a matter of minutes. (We counted.)
- Competitive pricing. Users celebrate affordable rates, especially for those with excellent driving records.
- A+ BBB rating. Esurance gets high marks for customer service and transparency.
- Tools and programs. Esurance offers a suite of tools and programs to make getting coverage easier, improve your driving habits, and reduce your rates.
- Mobile app. Esurance offers a great mobile app that gives you control over your policy. Make payments, adjust coverage, file claims and more.
- Hidden fees. Customers complain about charges for check payments, paper statements and — more of a problem — policy cancellations that can be 10% of your remaining premium balance.
- Direct company. Because Esurance is fully online, you won’t have a local agent to call or visit with policy concerns.
- Autopay required. To go through Esurance, you’re required to sign up for automatic withdrawals from your bank account.
Get your personalized auto quote
Visit Esurance for a personalized auto quote and get covered today.
Esurance auto insurance customer reviews
While Esurance is not officially accredited on the official BBB website, it does hold an impressive A+ rating and a composite score of 3.95 out of 5 possible stars. However, despite its great ratings, there’s no shortage of customer complaints. Of the 49 customer reviews, only 10 are positive, and that’s not counting the 300 total customer complaints.
Many customers report issues with billing and collection issues, rate increases, and poor customer service. While it can be tough to look past all of the negativity, keep in mind that customers are more likely to report negative experiences, which can make it tough to get an unbiased perspective.
How to apply for Esurance auto insurance
Esurance prides itself in its ability to offer coverage directly to customers through its online platform and by phone. Getting coverage only takes minutes, and here’s how to get started:
- Start by visiting the Esurance website
- Click “Start a new quote”, enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote”
- Enter your personal information (name, address, and date of birth), then click continue.
- Enter your vehicle information (make, model, usage, etc), then click continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you want to insure, then click continue.
- Do you currently have auto insurance? If so, enter any relevant information, then click continue.
- Once you’ve obtained a quote, select all of your desired policy options then call the phone number you’ve been given or click “continue online” to purchase coverage.
- Enter any final details, review all information, enter your payment info, then check out.
If you’d rather apply for auto insurance with Esurance by phone, you can start the process by calling 1-800-378-7262 and speaking with a representative.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Esurance
Esurance makes it easy to file auto insurance claims with the option to file online, by phone, or through the mobile app. Here’s how:
- Visit the Esurance website and select “Car claims” under the “Claims” tab.
- Scroll down and click “File your claim online”
- If you’re an Esurance policyholder, log in. If not, just click continue.
- Enter any necessary information, then click “Submit”.
Filing a claim through the mobile app can help speed up the claims process, and it’s even easier than filing online.
- First, download the Esurance mobile app then set up and log in to your Esurance account.
- Once you’re logged in, navigate to the “Accidents & claims” section.
- Select the option that best applies to your situation.
- Enter accident information, upload photos, or chat with an agent to set up an inspection or appraisal.
- Once your claim has been filed, use the app to track claim progress.
- After bringing your car to an eligible shop, use the RepairView feature to watch your car’s repairs.
Esurance also offers a 24/7 claims and customer service line for those who would rather file a claim over the phone. You can speak with a representative by calling 1-800-378-7262.
Regardless of how you file your claim, here is what you’ll need to provide.
- Your contact information
- Details about the accident (date, location, role, etc)
- Esurance policy information for the other party (policy #, driver’s license, address, etc.)
- Vehicle information for the other party
- Your vehicle and insurance information (Provider, condition of vehicle, etc.)
How do I contact Esurance?
There are a number of ways you can reach Esurance, but you can start by visiting the Esurance website. Here are a few other ways you can get in touch.
- Twitter (@EsuranceCares)
Does Esurance offer other types of insurance?
Yes. Beyond car insurance, Esurance can cover nearly anything you value. From anything with wheels — your motorcycle, RV or travel trailer or commercial fleet, for example — to your home or apartment, boat or snowmobile, pets, travel to Mexico and more. It also offers life insurance.
Companies similar to Esurance
Esurance is an innovative provider offering a wide range of coverage at competitive prices. Its customer experience revolves around an intuitive website and mobile app from which you can access your policy or file a claim, among many other things.
However, you won’t have access to the local agents that many other providers offer, and you’ll want to make sure you’re going to keep your policy active throughout your contract or you could face steep cancellation fees.