Revolut review Spain
Benefit from simple international money transfers, budgeting tools and €0 card option.
Revolut is a digital banking app and card that is designed to easily manage and spend your money. It’s a good option for those who want a simple way to manage their money, to save on foreign currency and want access to premium features.
This review covers what you need to know about Revolut in Spain, including how it works and what it costs to help you decide whether Revolut is right for you.
€1 + 2% per withdrawal
Currency Conversion Fee
|Product Name||Revolut Premium|
|Monthly fee||7.99 €|
|Card delivery||Up to 3 working days|
|Supported currencies||EUR, USD, CAD, AUD, DKK, NOK, SEK, CHF, JPY, GBP, PLN, CZK, RON, ZAR, HKD|
|Card fee||0 €|
|Domestic ATM||€1 + 2% per withdrawal|
|ATM fee for international withdrawals||1 € and 2%|
|Currency Conversion Fee||0%|
|Free ATM withdrawal limit||€400 per month|
|Mobile payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay|
|Go to site|
How does Revolut work in Spain?
Revolut is a digital banking app that lets you hold multiple currencies, buy crypto and spend globally at a minimal cost. When you sign up, you will need to choose between four account tiers, starting at €0 per month for the Standard account.
For all account tiers, Revolut gives you a free IBAN account, a free UK current account and a bank card so you can spend your money. You can spend in over 150 currencies at the interbank exchange rate and exchange 30 fiat currencies. There are several features that come with each account tier, such as free ATM withdrawals plus exclusive features that come with paid accounts.
Key features of Revolut
- Current account and IBAN. You get a European IBAN as well as a UK account number and sort code. You can set up recurring payments, withdraw cash at ATMs, make contactless payments and use both Apple Pay and Google Pay. You’ll be able to view your balance on a spending-visualisations screen.
- Make international payments. The app lets you transfer money to 30 currencies at the interbank exchange rate (the same rates banks give each other).
- Spend globally fee-free. All spending abroad is also charged at the interbank rate.
- Apple Pay and Google Pay. You can pay with either Google Pay or Apple Pay using Revolut.
- Pay friends. You’re able to pay other people with ease or use the split-bill feature to divide a group spend.
- View spending habits. Using analytics, your spending will be categorised by type of transaction, by merchant or by country.
- Control your card and account. You can lock and unlock your card in the Revolut app as well as set monthly spending limits.
- Save money. Revolut’s Vault feature let you build up funds for a specific funding goal. Keep in mind it doesn’t pay any interest like a normal savings account, but it can be helpful for saving towards short-term goals.
- Junior account. Revolut Junior is a money management platform aimed at children aged seven to 17 years old. This feature lets parents or guardians securely manage their child’s spending in a sub-account within the app.
- Invest in cryptocurrency. You can invest in over 30 cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple and Stellar. Revolut lets you invest from just €1. You can then sell and transfer your crypto, set up price alerts and auto exchanges and track mark movements in real-time.
Coming soon: Revolut Stays
With Revolut Stays, you’d be able to discover and book amazing accommodation all around the world within a few taps on the app. So whether you’re seeking bargain B&Bs or luxury lodges, you can get them all sorted out quickly through Revolut – with exclusive rates and no extra booking fees*.
If you’re on a Revolut Premium or Metal plan, you’d also get to enjoy up to 10% instant cashback, plus a whole suite of other travel perks.
At the time of writing (27 July 2021), Revolut Stays is not yet available but the team has announced that it’ll be coming to the Revolut app soon. So keep your eyes peeled for more updates!
*Do note that fees and charges from accommodation providers may apply.
How do the Revolut accounts work?
Revolut offers four account tiers – Standard, Plus, Premium and Metal – each with different features and cost:
Revolut fees and limits
Revolut has a certain number of fees and limits to be aware of:
- Monthly fees: You will pay €0 monthly fee for the Standard account, €2.99 for Plus, €7.99 for the Premium account and €13.99 for the Metal account.
- ATM fees. A €1 / 2% ATM fee (whichever is higher) will apply if you withdraw over the monthly limit for your chosen account. The limits are €200 or 5 times per month for Standard, €200 per month for Plus, €400 per month for Premium and € 800 per month for Metal.
- Currency exchange fees. If you have the Standard or Plus account you are limited to free currency conversions up to €1.000 per month, after which a 0.5% fee applies.
- SWIFT transfers. Premium and Metal account holders are entitled to one free SWIFT transfer per month.
- Investments markup. There is a markup on cryptocurrencies and commodities exchange for all accounts. For Standard and Plus, you’ll be charged a 2.5% markup for crypto and 1.5% for commodities. Premium and Metal account holders are charged a 1.5% markup for crypto and 0.25% for commodities.
Revolut is a great option for travelers who often trade cryptocurrency or want budgeting tools and premium banking features. Each of the Revolut accounts suit different needs, so take time to consider the features and decide which account level will be useful to you. If you’re going to use all the features on offer, the Premium and Metal accounts are excellent options to consider.
If you’re unsure if you’ll use the features in the higher tier accounts, sign up for a free account first. Then, if you find yourself wanting more after getting to grips with the entry-level accounts, you can easily upgrade to Revolut Premium or Revolut Metal later on.
If you’re looking for exclusivity in the form of concierge, priority customer support and cashback on purchases, it’s the Revolut Metal account that you’ll want to turn to. You’ll find all these features and more. Just be sure to shop around and compare your options first.
How to sign up
You sign up to Revolut by downloading the app to your smartphone and registering. Click ‘Go to site’ to get started. From there you will need to verify your identity by providing a valid ID and taking a selfie. After you sign up, you can request a contactless Revolut card and begin using your account.
Compare Revolut with a range of digital banks in Spain
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.