imaginBank Current Account
Discover the features of imaginBank's current account, an 100% digital account with no fees.
The imagin current account is an eco-friendly bank account from imaginBank, a subsidiary of CaixaBank. This account comes with a few great features including a prepaid card, exclusive discounts and much more.
In this review we discuss its features and fees so you can decide if it is the ideal option for you.
How does imaginBank work?
A subsidiary of the financial entity CaixaBank, imaginBank is Spain’s first mobile-only bank. It’s a 100% digital bank account where you can carry out a variety of financial transactions in one place, anytime and anywhere.
The imaginBank current account is available for a single holder, and you can obtain it by downloading the app on your smartphone (or other handheld devices). To register, simply follow a series of simple steps and your account will be ready in a matter of minutes.
The imaginBank fee-free current account offers a wide variety of functions and features. These are some of the main ones:
- ATMs. Commission-free cash withdrawal at over 9,000 CaixaBank ATMs across Spain and at over 200,000 cash machines in other Eurozone countries.
- Mobile payments. Available for mobile phones with NFC technology. Otherwise, you can ask for a contactless sticker and put it on the back of your mobile.
- Visa debit card. Apply for Visa prepaid debit card, without having to open an imaginBank account. Accepted worldwide and comes with no issuing or maintenance fees.
- Insurance. In the app you can find purchase protection plans, savings insurance, dental and travel insurance.
- Free and convenient fund transfers. To both imagin or CaixaBank accounts, national or Eurozone accounts, or via Bizum.
- Finance management tools. Monitor your account with a clear overview of your finances (e.g. income, expenditure, bill payments and more). You can also sort different transaction types into categories.
- Budgeting tools. You can set limits on your spending at stores, restaurants, and more.
- Savings methods. You can set savings goals and let imaginBank help you achieve them.
- Debit bills. You can schedule the charges for your services in your imaginBank account.
- Discounts and experiences. Enjoy exclusive offers for shopping and leisure activities.
- imagin&Split. Share and split the bill with your friends.
- Lending facility. Apply for personal loans instantly from the app, up to €15,000 without any arrangement fee.
- Instant alerts. Receive notifications for all account activities, such as card purchases, fund transfers, bill payments and more.
- Round-the-clock support. In-app chat service available 24/7. Alternatively, you may also access to imaginBank’s customer support pages on social networks such as Twitter and WhatsApp.
What are the account options?
imaginBank currently offers three apps, each catering to different age groups:
Fees and limits
With the imaginBank current account, you pay no opening, cancellation, maintenance or administration fees. You also do not pay for transfers via Bizum, or within the SEPA zone. Some of the few fees you would pay with this account are:
- 4.50% (min. €4 per transaction) when withdrawing cash on debit outside the European Economic Area
- Variable fee for withdrawing money at Euro6000, 4B and ServiRed ATMs (it will depend on the entity that owns the ATM)
- CaixaBank standard rate when performing certain operations at an ATM or office, such as making transfers in other currencies
imaginBank offers users the opportunity to experience banking on-the-go, without having to pay any card issuance fee, monthly subscription or commission. Upon signing up, you have the option to apply for a free Visa debit card, as well as open a current account for your transactional needs.
While imaginBank offers a host of essential banking features, you’d find that it does not come with many advanced functionalities when compared to other neobanks with paid plans. For example, multicurrency wallets, sub-accounts and cryptocurrency support are currently not available on the imagin app.
However, if you’re a relatively light user who only requires basic day-to-day banking features, a fee-free imaginBank account could be ideal. Just be sure to shop around and compare your options beforehand.
How to apply
First of all, make sure you meet the four basic requirements to open the imaginBank current account:
- Be at least 18 years old (if you are underage, you can still access the imaginTeens app);
- Be a resident of Spain;
- Have your DNI or NIE; and
- Own an Android or iOS smartphone
If you meet the requirements of the imaginBank current account, these are the steps you can follow to register:
- Download the imagin app from Google Play or App Store
- Fill out the form with your basic information
- Create a password
All done! In a matter of two minutes, you will officially be an imaginer Infinity.
Compare imaginBank with other digital banks in Spain
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.