Erie commercial auto insurance review May 2021
Score bonus features at no extra cost if you can get coverage in your state.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
Erie’s excellent customer service and multiple policy options could be what your business needs for auto coverage — but it’s not available in all states.
|States served||District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Bonus features
- Customer satisfaction
- Financially strong
- Risk control assistance
- No online quotes
- Limited reach
- Inconvenient claims
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Erie has top ratings in customer satisfaction and financial standing. Its no-cost bonus features, optional add-ons and risk control helps your business stay protected if you’re available in one of the 12 states it supports. However, if online quotes or claims are a perk you appreciate you might want to shop around.
How to contact Erie
Get in touch with Erie’s customer care any way you’d like:
- In person. Search for office locations by state on the company’s website.
- Phone. Call 800-458-0811 and use option 4. Lines are available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.
- Local agent. Search the website for an agent near you. Or call 800-458-0811 during business hours.
- Online. Make a payment, use the support center or find the closest repair shop. You can also manage your account online.
- Email. Use the contact form under Email from its Contact Us page.
- Mail. Send mail to:
- Erie Insurance Group
- 100 Erie Insurance Place
- Erie, PA 16530-1104
What commercial car insurance coverage does Erie offer?
Erie provides options that protect your business from a variety of losses:
- Liability. Get coverage if you’re responsible for injuries or damage during an accident.
- Collision. Receive payment if your car is damaged or destroyed in an accident or rollover.
- Comprehensive. Be covered for things other than a collision — such as theft, vandalism or hail.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists. Protect your business if another at-fault driver is unable to pay for bodily injuries or vehicle damages.
- Medical payments. Cover medical bills for you or your passengers.
- Nonowners. Get liability even if employees are using their own cars for business purposes.
- Rental expenses. Cover vehicle expenses for a rental if an accident leaves your vehicle out of order. This coverage extends to bus fares as well.
- Roadside service. Get protection for towing and labor costs if your vehicle breaks down on the side of the road.
- Income protection. Offset the loss of business income when you can’t use your vehicle.
- Death and disability. Income benefits if you become injured or can’t otherwise work because of an accident.
- Borrowed autos. Shoulder the cost of physical damages for hired, rented or borrowed vehicles used in your business.
What features does Erie offer for businesses?
Erie includes several features not found in other commercial insurances — and they won’t cost extra. But availability may differ among states.
- Risk control consultant. Erie provides assistance to identify potential risks and recommend safety measures.
- Loss of earnings. The company wants to make things convenient for your business if you help them in an accident investigation.
- Legal fees and bail bonds. Coverage for legal fees if you’re arrested due to an accident. In addition, Erie helps with bail bonds after an accident or traffic violation involving an insured car.
- Stolen car expenses. If you have comprehensive coverage, the company pays for expenses from finding your stolen vehicle.
- Airbag replacement. Erie helps you with the cost of replacing an airbag after it deploys in an accident.
- Premium reimbursement. Taking your car out of the country? Erie reimburses 30 days of your premium paid when using your car in a country not covered by insurance.
Erie commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
Erie holds a rating with the BBB at a A+. Erie has a solid A+ financial rating with A.M. Best, as of October 2020.
The company also holds high consumer ratings, showcasing its favorable policy options and customer service. Erie was ranked #2 in the JD Power Auto Insurance Shopping Survey with excellent ratings for local agents, pricing and overall satisfaction. Additionally, Consumers Advocate places the company at a 3.7 out of 5 for commercial vehicle insurance.
Alternatives to Erie commercial car insurance
Pros and cons of Erie commercial car insurance
- Bonus features. Erie provides helpful bonus features to businesses at no extra cost.
- Customer satisfaction. The company holds top ratings for its customer shopping experience for both its personal and commercial offerings.
- Financially strong. Despite the company’s small reach, it has the money to back up your claims.
- Risk control assistance. Erie provides consultants to help you keep business vehicles safe and premiums low.
- No online quotes. Most customers like fast quotes that don’t involve speaking to a representative.
- Limited reach. Erie serves a limited number of states.
- Inconvenient claims. The company could do better by adding online claims filing for convenience.
Where can I get commercial car insurance from Erie?
Erie has limited reach, servicing only 12 states and Washington, DC. Those states: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.