Erie car insurance review Mar 2021
Try a local insurer focused on customer satisfaction and peace of mind.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want great customer service from your local agent.
- Pick something else if you want the cheapest rates.
- Drivers in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast save with plenty of discounts.
New car protection
|States served||District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
No info available
- Rates locked in until you make changes to your policy
- Free first accident forgiveness after 3 years
- Vanishing deductible the longer you go without claims
- Online bill pay
- No online signup or claims
- Limited availability in only 12 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Erie has a reputation for outstanding customer service and has received J.D Power’s highest customer satisfaction ranking for the past five years and running. It’s commitment to affordable auto insurance begins with its generous discounts and is reinforced by the ERIE Rate Lock Program, which helps customers stay in control of their rates.
Between high customer satisfaction and an arsenal of great perks, Erie has quickly become one of the best regional car insurance providers. This insurer works best if you live in the Northeast and are willing to fork out a bit extra for a highly rated provider. However, you do have cheaper options out there too.
How to get a quote for Erie car insurance
While it’s easy to get a quote for Erie car insurance online, it’s unclear whether you can obtain coverage online. This insurer requires claims to be filed via phone or your Erie agent, so you might need to apply for coverage through your agent as well.
To get a quote, simply head online and follow these steps:
- Go to the Erie website
- Fill in your ZIP in the quote box and hit enter
- Follow the prompts, entering the requested information
- Submit your information to receive a quote
- Submit your quote to a local agent and wait for your agent to call and confirm coverage.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information, including your full name, birthdate and address
- Contact information, including your email address and phone number
- Vehicle information, including the make, model, year, VIN and annual mileage
- Driver information
What discounts can I get with Erie?
Erie Insurance strives to provide affordable auto insurance coverage through its massive network of independent agents. To do so, it offers a huge number of discounts that can help keep your premiums low.
- Advance quote discount. For new customers who get a quote 7 to 90 days before signing up. The discount stays on your policy but gradually decreases over a 5-year period. This discount also applies to any vehicle quote including classic cars, motorcycles, mopeds and RVs.
- Driver training discount. Get a discount for drivers under 21, drivers over 55 and motorcycle drivers who complete a DMV safe driver class.
- Farm use discount. This unique discount lets you save on insurance for a car that’s garaged and used exclusively on your farm.
- Mature driver. Get a discount if the primary driver on your policy is over 55.
- Multipolicy. Save between 16% and 25% if you bundle Erie life or home insurance with your auto policy.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add multiple vehicles to your auto insurance policy with Liberty Mutual. This can also apply if you have approved personal use of a business car.
- New vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add or change a vehicle on your policy.
- Paid in full. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment instead of in monthly installments.
- Prior bodily injury limits (BIL) discount. If your previous BIL amount was at least $300,000 per accident, you’ll get a discount whether you’re a new or returning customer.
- Safe driver discount. Drivers with clean driving records can receive discounted rates. The discount amount is based on type of violations, policy loyalty and past claims for all drivers on the policy.
- Safety features. Get discounted rates when insuring vehicles with safety features such as antilock brakes, antitheft devices and airbags.
- Storage. Also called laid-up coverage or short-term insurance — get a discount if your car will be in storage and won’t be driven for at least 90 days during your policy.
- Student away from home. Get a discount when your young driver goes off to college but leaves the car at home.
- Young driver. You may qualify for one or more of the several discounts Erie offers young drivers. Driver training, credits towards an Erie insurance policy and a discount just for being unwed, young and living at home are all available.
- Young driver loyalty discount. Keep your policy with Erie for several years and you could get a break on premiums. This is Erie’s way of encouraging families to stick with the same insurer.
What car insurance coverage does Erie offer?
- Liability protection. Pays for third-party property and bodily damages that result from an accident you’ve caused.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who is at fault.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or a driver without enough insurance, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car caused by other cars or objects, fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
What extras and add-ons does Erie offer?
Besides the great coverage and excellent customer service, there are a number of perks and policy add-ons to help sweeten the deal.
- First accident forgiveness. No extra fees on your first at-fault accident after you have been a customer for three years. Only applies once for all drivers on your policy.
- Diminishing deductible. Deductible is reduced by $100 for every consecutive claims-free policy year, up to a maximum of $500.
- Locksmith services. If you get locked out of your vehicle, Erie can send a locksmith to help.
- New car protection. If your new vehicle is less than two years old and considered total loss after an accident, it will be replaced with a new vehicle of the latest model year.
- Personal item coverage. Additional coverage for personal items inside your vehicle.
- Pet coverage. Get up to $500 for veterinary care for each pet injured or killed in your vehicle in a car accident, up to $1,000 total. Not available in North Carolina.
- Rate lock. Your rates will only change if you add or remove a vehicle or a driver or move — even if you make a claim.
- Rental car coverage. Covers the cost of a rental car while your car is in the shop for repairs.
- Roadside assistance. Towing and roadside assistance if your car breaks down on the road.
Erie car insurance reviews and complaints
Erie consistently receives high scores for customer service and satisfaction from J.D. Power. In fact, it was top-rated every year between 2013 and 2019.
As of December 2020, Erie isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it is rated A+ by the agency for its attention to customer complaints. Its average customer rating with BBB is less than 2 out of 5 stars, with more than 50 reviews. But its overall complaints are low for its size.
Case study: Roslyn’s experience
I joined my husband’s car insurance policy with Erie after we got married. We paid $1,244 a year for 100/300/100 coverage with collision and comprehensive on a 2016 Ford C-Max and a 2011 Toyota Prius in Tennessee. Unfortunately, we had to switch insurers when we moved outside Erie’s 12 supported states, which is one drawback of using a local insurer.
Erie offers excellent customer service and coverage transparency. Your local agent is easy to reach, knows who you are and can help you with any questions or concerns about your policy. We also saved money by bundling our car and home insurance policies under the same insurer.
Compare alternatives to Erie
Frequently asked questions about Erie car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.