eRenterPlan renters insurance review
Cover yourself, your roommates and your pets under one instant policy.
- Get a quote if you want to use your community’s preferred policy.
- Pick something else if you need higher limits or coverage away from home.
- Only renters in qualified communities can apply.
All 50 states
- No rate increases after a claim
- Same-day coverage
- Flexible payments
- Covers pet damage and roommates
- Backed by three reputable insurance companies
- Only offered through qualified communities
- Not the highest coverage limits
- Belongings coverage limited away from home
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||No|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
ERenterPlan provides standard insurance coverage along with some unique and rare options like pet damage or unemployment coverage. Among its many helpful offerings are its coverage for roommates at no extra charge and pets of all breeds. Plus, it doesn’t even hike your rates after a claim.
However, one area that could cause you to lose money involves its limited coverage away from home. Your personal belongings may only receive 10% to 20% of your personal property limit, which could be as low as $2,000 for $20,000 of coverage. You’ll also run into a limit on personal liability, a bigger concern if you want higher legal protection.
If you can do without these extra limits, you might get a quote to find out if this policy works for you. But many renters insurance companies offer the same standard coverage with wide protection for belongings no matter where you are.
How does eRenterPlan insurance work?
ERenterPlan offers its coverage through apartment communities, so you can’t purchase a policy otherwise. These communities may provide the website name or link where you can get a quote and opt for coverage. You can also choose liability-only coverage to meet your apartment’s minimum requirement, if allowed.
After buying a policy, eRenterPlan sends your proof of insurance directly to the community management. However, you’re not required to buy a policy through this website if you prefer a different company.
What renters insurance coverage does eRenterPlan offer?
ERenterPlan provides a standard suite of coverage with several helpful extras mixed in:
- Personal property
- Personal property replacement cost
- Personal liability, including pet liability up to $100,000
- Liability only
- Additional living expenses
- Water backups
- Extra jewelry theft coverage
- Pet damage up to $500
- Identity recovery
- Unemployment coverage to pay rent if you lose your job
What renters insurance discounts can I get?
The only discount offered involves small savings for paying your premium in full, such as $30 off. You’ll also avoid the $2.50 processing fee with each payment with this annual payment.
Pros and cons of eRenterPlan renters insurance
- No rate increases after a claim. File a claim without worrying that the cost of insurance will go up.
- Same-day coverage. You can buy a policy and start coverage on the same day, as long as you don’t have losses to claim.
- Flexible payments. Choose to pay in 1, 2, 4 or 12 payments.
- Covers roommates. You can add up to four roommates on your policy at no extra charge.
- Backed by reputable insurance companies. The company’s policies are underwritten by three recognizable brands: Markel, American Modern Insurance Group and American National Property and Casualty Company.
- Offered through qualified communities. You can only buy coverage if your housing community offers policies through this company.
- Not the highest coverage limits. You only receive $100,000 in liability coverage with no other options. And you can only go up to $50,000 for your personal belongings.
- Belongings coverage limited away from home. Your belongings may only have coverage up to 20% of your personal property limit when in storage or elsewhere in the US.
How to apply for eRenterPlan renters insurance
The company keeps the process quick and simple with these steps for applying online or by phone:
- Go to the eRenterPlan website.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get a free quote.
- Tap the arrow next to your housing community.
- Fill in basic personal information and click Get quote.
- Receive your quote, adjust your coverage and add optional coverage. Click Continue.
- Finalize your personal information and add roommates. Click Continue to purchase.
- Choose your payment plan, enter your payment info. Click Pay now.
Phone. Get a phone quote by calling 888-512-4204.
What info do I need to apply for renters insurance with eRenterPlan?
You’ll need several key details to complete your application, including:
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Coverage start date
- Previous claims within three years
- Pet-related injuries
- Roommate information
- Payment details