Encompass car insurance review 2022
Bundle home, auto and personal belongings coverage for steep savings and convenience.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you like the personal touch of speaking with an agent.
- Pick something else if you want to get a quote and sign up online.
- Only drivers in Encompass’s service area can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
No info available
- Flexible coverage
- Long list of vehicle discounts
- Conveniently bundled policies
- Limited availability
- No online quotes
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Shannon Terrell is an editor for Finder who has written over 400 personal finance guides. With a focus on investments and personal finance, she breaks down jargon-laden topics to help others make informed financial decisions. She studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto.
Encompass offers a range of standard and optional coverage, plus it adds the perk of a no-fuss policy called EncompassOne that combines home, auto and personal belongings insurance. Another perk of using Encompass is that you get to work with a local agent — in fact, this is the main way that the company sells car insurance.
Unlike some smaller brands, Encompass isn’t new to the industry, packing 25 years of experience under its belt. Plus, Allstate is its parent company, lending credibility to Encompass’s financial stability.
However, Encompass isn’t available across all 50 states and lacks the quick online quotes and application typically offered with major brands.
You might consider Encompass if you’re curious about your rates with a local company. But since you’re likely to find several companies with similar perks and more, consider all your car insurance options to make the best decision for you.
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
How to get a free quote for Encompass
Encompass doesn’t have an online quote or application process available. Instead, you’ll need to locate a local Encompass agent near you and call or email a representative to apply.
While applying in person is more tedious than applying online, an insurance agent can answer questions about rates and coverage options.
What info do I need to apply?
Shorten the buying process by keeping this information on hand.
- Your address
- Your date of birth
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver’s license
- The year, make, model and VIN number of the vehicles you want insured
How to find an Encompass local agent near me
Encompass makes it easy to find an agent near you with a list of agents, their contact info and location. Agents closest to you are listed first when you use its agent search tool.
- Go to the Encompass auto insurance homepage.
- Choose the Talk to your agent button at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your address and hit Find an Agent.
What discounts can I get with Encompass?
This company offers a myriad of discounts to help you save on your car insurance premiums.
- Safe driving bonus. If all drivers on your policy are incident-free for at least 12 months, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 5%.
- Future effective date. It saves to plan ahead. Encompass offers discounts for drivers who have their policies issued seven or more days before the effective date.
- Encompass easy pay. Encompass offers a discount to use its easy pay feature, allowing you to set up automatic payments on your policy.
- New car. Insure a new vehicle with Encompass and you’ll be eligible for a policy discount.
- Homeowner. If you own your home, condo, townhouse or mobile home, all vehicles on your policy could receive a discount.
- Good payer. If you’d like to renew your policy with Encompass and have made on-time payments for 12 months, you could be eligible for this discount.
- Defensive driver. Get this discount if you’ve successfully completed a state-approved defensive driving course.
- Antilock brake. Discounts if your car came with two- or four-wheel Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS).
- Antitheft device. Protect your car and save when you install an antitheft device, such as an immobilizer or VIN etching.
- Passive restraints. Discounts to your medical or personal injury protection if your vehicle has factory-installed airbags or a motorized automatic seat belt restraint system.
- Good student. Student drivers who maintain a 3.0 GPA or better can get a discount.
- Driver training. If you’re younger than 21 years old and have completed a driver’s training course with several hours of driving experience, you could be eligible for this discount.
- Resident student. Become eligible for this discount if you’re a student who lives at least 100 miles from home and don’t have a vehicle with you at school.
What extra benefits or add-ons does Encompass offer?
Encompass includes some extras with its policies while offering add-ons to customize your protection.
- Accident forgiveness. This add-on can help protect your premiums in the event of an at-fault accident.
- New car replacement. If your car is four years old or younger and critically damaged in an accident, Encompass will replace your vehicle with a new one.
- Roadside assistance. The roadside app provides 24/7 assistance with an array of roadside services like towing, battery jumps and flat tire repair.
- Rental reimbursement. Book a rental at no cost to you to get around while your car is getting accident-related repairs.
- Electronic equipment. Cover damage to electronics installed in your car, like a custom stereo. Plus, protect your CDs and other media stored in your car.
- Trip interruption. Get your lodging, meals or extra transportation expenses covered if you experience an accident more than 100 miles from home.
Encompass car insurance reviews and complaints
Encompass is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it holds an A+ BBB rating as of 2022. The company has closed nearly 1,078 BBB complaints in the last three years. Many complaints involve customer service not responding to problems with claims and disagreements with claims payouts or how claims are handled.
Encompass also receives a 1.47 score for the 2020 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private auto insurance. Since the industry standard is 1.00, anything above this standard shows too many customer complaints.
On the bright side, AM Best gives Encompass an A+ (Superior) rating for its finances. Encompass is also backed by Allstate, the fifth-largest property and casualty insurance company in the US. Allstate holds an A+ financial rating from AM Best, proving both its and Encompass’s stability.
Our star ratings for Encompass, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Encompass above average because of its well-rounded coverage options, strong finances and high BBB rating. However, the company can work on its customer experience, as shown by its above-average complaints.
Compare alternatives to Encompass
See how Encompass stacks up to other companies’ coverage and benefits. Then select Get quotes to see your customized policy.
What car insurance coverage does Encompass offer?
Encompass offers high limits for those who need high liability protection or have many assets. Plus, it offers a variety of standard and add-ons coverage, including:
- Liability. Pays for medical and auto repair expenses with limits up to $250,000 for bodily injury coverage per person and $500,000 per accident.
- Comprehensive. Pays for damage to your car caused by something other than an accident, like natural disasters, falling objects or vandalism.
- Collision. Pay for repairs to your own car if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist liability. If you’re in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, this coverage helps cover repair costs.
- Loan or lease gap coverage. This coverage pays the difference between the amount you owe on your car loan or lease and its actual cash value after a total loss.
What does Encompass’s auto and home bundle include?
Encompass offers a simple solution with its EncompassOne policy: A comprehensive insurance plan with three tiers of coverage, including coverage for your home, auto and personal belongings.
An in-depth look at what these policies cover for your car:
|Single deductible for a loss to property and auto at the same time||Covered||Covered||Covered|
|State minimum coverage||Covered||Covered||Covered|
|Accident forgiveness||Not covered||First-time accidents after five years||No premium surcharges|
|Windshield repairs||With deductible||No deductible||No deductible|
|Trip interruption||Not specified||Optional||Covered|
|Driving your employer’s car||Not covered||Not covered||Covered|
|No-claims bonus||Not specified||Not specified||5% off for no claims within the last year|
|Dwelling||Up to $1 million||Up to $1 million||Up to $1 million|
|Replacement cost||Optional||200% of home value||200% of home value|
|Upgrades to new building codes||Optional||Covered||Covered|
|Personal belongings||Covered||200% of its market value||200% of its market value|
|Additional living expenses||No dollar limits, covered up to one year||No dollar limits, covered up to one year||No time or dollar limits|
|Burglary||Covered||Covered||Covered, including reward money for finding your items|
|Lock replacement||Not specified||Not specified||Covered with no deductible|
|Homeowner association shared losses||$1,000||$5,000||$50,000|
|Fine art||Not specified||Not specified||Glass frames and porcelain fine art covered|
|Mortgage rate protection||Not covered||Up to $20,000 for acquiring a new higher-rate mortgage||Up to $20,000 for acquiring a new higher-rate mortgage|
|Identity fraud||Optional||Optional||Up to $20,000|
Pros and cons of Encompass car insurance
Encompass’s best features are its local agents and bundled insurance packages, offering personalized advice and high-level protection. But you can’t get an estimate online.
This local company helps drivers by offering:
- Local agents can give personal advice. Unlike some major companies, Encompass works through local agents to make sure you buy the right coverage.
- Long list of discounts. Enjoy a wide range of available discounts for homeowners, good students, new cars, defensive drivers and more.
- Conveniently bundled policies. The EncompassOne policy offers insures your home, car and personal belongings with wide protection under a single policy and premium.
Encompass comes with a few drawbacks, including:
- Limited availability. Encompass insurance is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.
- No online quotes. To receive a quote from Encompass or to apply for an insurance policy, you have to call an independent agent or request a quote through its online form.
How to make a claim with Encompass
While we hope you don’t need these steps, know what to expect when reporting a car accident with Encompass.
- To make a car insurance claim with Encompass, call its claims office at 800-588-7400.
- A field adjuster is assigned to your file and contacts you within one business day.
- Choose to have your car inspected at one of Encompass’ authorized shops, or you can take your car to a repair shop you know and trust.
- Once your car is inspected, the field adjuster writes an initial estimate for the damages to your vehicle. After the estimate is complete, schedule any repairs that need to be done to your vehicle.
Frequently asked questions
How do I pay my bill with Encompass?
Make a payment by mail or you can opt for online bill pay through Encompass’ online tool, MyEncompass.
Can I automate my insurance payments with Encompass?
Yes, Encompass’s Easy Pay tool helps you automate your bill payments for less stress with the added perk of a premium discount when you sign up.
Does Encompass offer roadside assistance?
Yes, Encompass offers the Encompass Roadside App to provide 24/7 roadside assistance while you’re on the go.
How do I contact Encompass?
- Fill out an online form by going to the Encompass website and choosing Contact Us at the bottom of the homepage.
- Select Form, and type in your question as well as your contact info.
- Wait for an email response from Encompass within one business day to access your policy information or pay your bill online from your MyEncompass account.
What are my options if I want to customize my coverage on the EncompassOne plan?
The EncompassOne plan offers three tiers of coverage: Special, Deluxe and Elite. Each tier has a set amount of coverage with optional add-on features, such as enhanced home business insurance, boat and watercraft coverage and personal umbrella coverage.
What can I use the MyEncompass account to do?
With MyEncompass, you can view your policy information, pay your bill, sign up for automated payments and request your auto insurance ID cards.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.