Encompass car insurance review Sep 2020
Choose bundled home, auto and umbrella coverage for steep savings and convenience.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you like the personal touch of speaking with an agent.
- Pick something else if you want to get a quote and sign up online.
- Drivers that don’t live in Encompass’ service area can’t get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|New car protection||Yes|
No info available
- Flexible coverage
- Long list of vehicle discounts
- Conveniently bundled policies
- Limited availability
- No online quotes
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Special employment discount||No|
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
Encompass offers the traditional range of coverage with the added perk of a no-fuss EncompassOne policy that combines home, auto and personal insurance. Plus, Allstate is its parent company, lending a bit more credibility to its small size in the market.
However, Encompass isn’t available across all 50 states and lacks the quick online quotes and application typically offered with its competitors. Whether or not Encompass is your best option, there’s a provider out there that’s bound to fit your individual needs.
What car insurance coverage does Encompass offer?
Encompass offers high limits and a variety of options for its auto coverage, including:
- Liability. Pays for medical and auto repair expenses with limits up to $250,000 for bodily injury coverage per person and $500,000 per accident.
- Comprehensive. Pays for damage to your car caused by something other than an accident, like natural disasters, falling objects or vandalism.
- Collision. Pay for repairs to your own car if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist liability. If you’re in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, this coverage helps cover repair costs.
- Loan or lease gap coverage. This coverage pays the difference between the amount you owe on your car loan or lease and its actual cash value after a total loss.
What extra benefits or add-ons does Encompass offer?
Encompass offers included benefits and add-ons to customize your policy, inlcuding:
- Accident forgiveness. This add-on can help protect your premiums in the event of an at-fault accident.
- New car replacement. If your car is four years old or younger and critically damaged in an accident, Encompass will replace your vehicle with a new one.
- Roadside assistance. The roadside app provides 24/7 assistance with an array of roadside services like towing, battery jumps and flat tire repair.
- Rental reimbursement. Book a rental at no cost to you to get around while your car is getting accident-related repairs.
- Electronic equipment. Cover damage to electronics installed in your car, like a custom stereo. Plus, protect your CDs and other media stored in your car.
- Trip interruption. Get your lodging, meals or extra transportation expenses covered if you experience an accident more than 100 miles from home.
What does Encompass’s auto and home bundle include?
Encompass offers a simple solution with its EncompassOne policy: A comprehensive insurance plan with three tiers of coverage, including coverage for your home, auto and personal belongings.
An in-depth look at what these policies cover for your car:
|Single deductible for a loss to property and auto at the same time||Covered||Covered||Covered|
|State minimum coverage||Covered||Covered||Covered|
|Accident forgiveness||Not covered||First-time accidents after five years||No premium surcharges|
|Windshield repairs||With deductible||No deductible||No deductible|
|Trip interruption||Not specified||Optional||Covered|
|Driving your employer’s car||Not covered||Not covered||Covered|
|No-claims bonus||Not specified||Not specified||5% off for no claims within the last year|
|Dwelling||Up to $1 million||Up to $1 million||Up to $1 million|
|Replacement cost||Optional||200% of home value||200% of home value|
|Upgrades to new building codes||Optional||Covered||Covered|
|Personal belongings||Covered||200% of its market value||200% of its market value|
|Additional living expenses||No dollar limits, covered up to one year||No dollar limits, covered up to one year||No time or dollar limits|
|Burglary||Covered||Covered||Covered, including reward money for finding your items|
|Lock replacement||Not specified||Not specified||Covered with no deductible|
|Homeowner association shared losses||$1,000||$5,000||$50,000|
|Fine art||Not specified||Not specified||Glass frames and porcelain fine art covered|
|Mortgage rate protection||Not covered||Up to $20,000 for acquiring a new higher-rate mortgage||Up to $20,000 for acquiring a new higher-rate mortgage|
|Identity fraud||Optional||Optional||Up to $20,000|
Along with home and auto coverages, you can add these or optional auto coverage to any policy:
- Personal umbrella. Increase your liability protection if your home or auto limits become exhausted in a court case.
- Home business. Protect your business equipment on a limited basis if you work or store equipment at home.
- Watercraft. Buy coverage for your boat, jet skis or other watercraft in case it gets damaged on the open water.
What discounts can I get with Encompass?
This company offers a myriad of car insurance discounts:
- Safe driving bonus. If all drivers on your policy are incident-free for at least 12 months, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 5%.
- Future effective date. It saves to plan ahead. Encompass offers discounts for drivers who have their policies issued seven or more days before the effective date.
- Encompass easy pay. Encompass offers a discount to use its easy pay feature, allowing you to set up automatic payments on your policy.
- New car. Insure a new vehicle with Encompass and you’ll be eligible for a policy discount.
- Homeowner. If you own your home, condo, townhouse or mobile home, all vehicles on your policy could receive a discount.
- Good payer. If you’d like to renew your policy with Encompass and have made on-time payments for 12 months, you could be eligible for this discount.
- Defensive driver. You can get this discount if you’ve successfully completed a state-approved defensive driving course.
- Antilock brake. Discounts if your car came with two- or four-wheel Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS).
- Antitheft device. Protect your car and save when you install an anti-theft device, such as an immobilizer or VIN etching.
- Passive restraints. Discounts to your medical or personal injury protection if your vehicle has factory-installed airbags or a motorized automatic seat belt restraint system.
- Good student. Student drivers who maintain a 3.0 GPA or better can get a discount.
- Driver training. If you are younger than 21 years old and have completed a driver’s training course with several hours of driving experience, you could be eligible for this discount.
- Resident student. Become eligible for this discount if you’re a student who lives at least 100 miles from home and don’t have a vehicle with you at school.
Pros and cons of Encompass car insurance
- Flexible coverage. Choose from a range of policy add-ons to customize your insurance to your needs.
- Long list of vehicle discounts. Enjoy a wide range of available discounts for homeowners, good students, new cars, defensive drivers and more.
- Conveniently bundled policies. The EncompassOne policy offers a set amount of predetermined coverage that includes home, auto and personal effects insurance grouped under a single policy and premium.
- Limited availability. Encompass insurance is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.
- No online quotes. To receive a quote from Encompass or to apply for an insurance policy, you must call or request a quote online from an independent agent.
Compare alternatives to Encompass
Encompass car insurance reviews and complaints
Encompass is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it has received an A+ rating as of July 31, 2020. The company has seen about 27 BBB complaints in the last three years. Many of those complaints involve issues with customer service not responding to problems with claims, and customers dissatisfied with claims payouts or the handling of claims.
On the bright side, AM Best gives Encompass an A+ (Superior) rating for the company’s finances. Encompass also has received a 1.47 score for the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. This index assigns a score based on the number of complaints while factoring in the company’s size. The national standard is 1.00, with anything above that suggesting too many complaints and anything below showing few complaints.
Also, Encompass is backed by Allstate, the fifth-largest property and casualty insurance company in the US. Allstate has received an A+ financial rating from AM Best, proving both its and Encompass’s stability.
How to apply for Encompass
Encompass doesn’t have an online quote or application process available. Instead, you’ll need to locate a local Encompass agent near you and call or email a representative to apply.
While applying in person is more tedious than applying online, an insurance agent can answer questions about rates and coverage options.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your address
- Your date of birth
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver’s license
- The year, make, model and VIN number of the vehicles you want insured
How do I find an Encompass local agent near me?
- Go to the Encompass auto insurance homepage.
- Click the Talk to your agent button at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your address and click Find an Agent.
- Encompass makes it easy to find an agent near you with a list of agents, their contact info and location. Agents closest to you are listed first.
How to make a claim
- To make a car insurance claim with Encompass, call its claims office at 800-588-7400.
- A field adjuster is assigned to your file and contacts you within one business day.
- You can choose to have your car inspected at one of Encompass’ authorized shops, or you can take your car to a repair shop you know and trust.
- Once your car is inspected, the field adjuster writes an initial estimate for the damages to your vehicle. After the estimate is complete, schedule any repairs that need to be done to your vehicle.
Frequently asked questions about Encompass car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.