Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account review
Earn up to 1.75% APY and up to $25 in ATM reimbursements, but you’ll need to qualify for these rewards every month.
The Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account is a free checking account with no minimum balance. But you’ll need to complete several qualifying activities every month to unlock its colossal interest rate and ATM rebates.
$0 per month
Up to 1.75%
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||1.75% on balances of $0 to $10,000 If you make at least 12 debit card purchases, enroll in eStatements, have at least one direct deposit, automatic deposit or withdrawal per statement cycle. Otherwise, 0.01% APY. |
0.20% on balances of $10,000.01+
|Fee||$0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$100|
|ATMs||34 ATMs throughout Kansas|
|ATM fee rebates||Up to $25 per month but only if you qualify|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$1.50|
|Foreign transaction fee||2%|
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
The Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account offers one of the highest interest rates we’ve seen on a checking account for balances under $10,000. But it’s best for those who typically make more than 12 debit card purchases a month. You’ll also need to stay on top of other monthly requirements, like signing up for estatements and direct deposits to qualify for ATM reimbursements and the highest APY at 1.75% APY.
Also, if you tend to use ATMs regularly, this may not be the account for you unless you live in Kansas and near one of the 34 ATMs. Plus, only eight of those ATMs accept cash deposits, and if you use an out-of-network ATM, expect to pay at least $1.50 per transaction. If you’re after a rewards checking account, consider an account like OnJuno that earns up to 5% in cash back and an APY-like savings bonus of 1.2% on balances up to $50,000.
How do I open an Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account?
Sign up for an account in six steps:
- Click Apply now.
- Select High Interest Checking and click Open Account Now.
- Create an account by inputting your name, email address and phone number.
- Confirm your email address by entering the emailed code.
- Answer the questions to verify your identity.
- Input your funding information.
To qualify for an Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account, you’ll need to meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
- $100 minimum deposit
Here’s what you’ll need during the application process:
- A valid residential address
- A valid Social Security number
- Banking information to fund your account
5 benefits of Emprise Bank’s checking account
Here are the perks of an Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account:
- No monthly fee. No recurring monthly service charge to use your account.
- Competitive APY. Earn up to 1.75% APY on balances up to $10,000 when you meet certain monthly requirements. Balances over that earn 0.2% APY, but when you don’t meet the monthly requirements, you’ll only earn 0.01% APY.
- ATM fee refunds. If you meet the monthly criteria, Emprise Bank will refund your domestic ATM fees that are less than $5 for a monthly total of $25 in ATM rebates.
- Overdraft protection. Emprise Bank charges $32 to cover a transaction if you don’t have enough funds in your account. You can also set up an automatic transfer from another account in case you overdraw your account. Each automatic transfer costs $8.
- Personal finance tool. A free tool in its mobile app that helps you budget, analyze your spending habits, organize transactions and see your net worth.
3 things to watch out for
Despite its strengths, you should be aware of the following disadvantages of an Emprise Bank High Interest Checking account:
- Opening deposit. You’ll need to set aside $100 to open this checking account.
- Strict monthly requirements to earn perks. To qualify for the highest APY and ATM reimbursements, you’ll need to make at least 12 debit card purchases every month, receive estatements and have at least one direct deposit.
- Limited ATM deposits. Only eight out of the 34 Emprise ATMs accepts cash deposits.
How does the interest rate work?
In addition to the monthly requirements, your account balance also determines your interest rate.
- Your first $10,000 earns 1.75% APY.
- The portion of your balance over $10,000 earns 0.2% APY.
- If you don’t meet the monthly requirements, your interest rate drops to 0.01% APY.
Emprise Bank’s ATM network and fees
Emprise Bank has 34 ATMs throughout Kansas, but only eight of those ATMs accept cash deposits.
Emprise Bank charges $1.50 for each out-of-network ATM transaction on top of what the ATM owner charges. But if your account qualifies for ATM reimbursements, Emprise Bank will refund you up to $25 per month or $4.99 per single transaction.
Compare Emprise High Interest Checking with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Emprise Bank offers ample ways to access your cash:
- Eight deposit-accepting ATMs
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit
- Incoming wire transfer
- Paper checks
- Debit card
- Online bill pay
- Mobile wallets
- Outgoing wire transfer
What other checking options does Emprise Bank offer?
Aside from High Interest Checking, you can also choose from one other personal checking account and three business checking accounts:
|Account name||Type of account||Highlights|
|Cash Back Checking||Personal|
|Business Interest Checking||Business|
|Treasury Management Checking||Business|
How to contact Emprise Bank customer service?
Get in touch with an Emprise banker by:
- Visiting a local branch.
- Calling 855-383-4301 weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT.
- Texting 855-491-0368 weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT.
- Sending an email through the Emprise Bank Secure Email Message Center on its website.