Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® review
It’s difficult to get value out of this card beyond your first year of membership.
- Get this card if you often fly between the US and the Middle East and you spend $40,000 or more with your card each year.
- Pick something else if you want a cheaper Emirates card or a general travel card.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score for the best chances of approval for the card.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 3x
15.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Product Name||Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard®|
|Purchase APR||15.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||25.24% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 23 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $40|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The highest value this card offers is the complimentary Gold membership status for your first year when you open your account. However, to keep your Gold status beyond your first year you must spend $40,000 annually. This is expensive, and for most flyers — probably not worth chasing. Because of that, the Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® could be useful during the first year of card membership, or even beyond — but only if you can meet the extremely high spend requirements to maintain Gold status.
Without Gold membership status, you don’t get anything extra for the $499 annual fee that you couldn’t get with a premium general travel card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Citi Prestige® Credit Card. In fact, you could likely squeeze a higher value with these cards than you would with the Emirates card. If this card is too expensive for your budget, consider the Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard®, which costs $99 annually.
Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® benefits
- Rewards. Earn 3x miles on emirates.com or at the Emirates sales office, 2x miles on airfare, hotel stays and car rentals and 1x miles on everything else.
- Signup bonus. Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in your first 90 days of account opening. With an average value of 1.2 cents per mile, your 40,000 bonus miles can be worth up to $480, which is half the price of an Economy one-way flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Dubai (DXB).
- Emirates Skywards Gold membership. Get complimentary Skywards Gold membership only during your first year.
- Priority Pass lounge access. Access more than 1,200 airport lounges worldwide, just by being an Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® cardmember. Plus you get access to Emirates Business Class lounges for you as the main cardholder and one guest as long as you keep the Skywards Gold membership.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee. Get up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck once every five years.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The card costs $499 annually, which is on par with most premium credit cards.
- Difficult to maintain Emirates Skywards Gold membership. After your first year, you’ll need to spend $40,000 annually to maintain your status. This card, with its high annual fee, likely isn’t worth it if you don’t spend enough to maintain membership.
- No intro APR period. There’s no 0% intro APR period with this card. But most airline credit cards don’t offer this feature anyway.
How to apply for the Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard®
The application process is simple. Here’s how it works:
- Visit the Emirates website.
- Click Loyalty at the top menu and then click Emirates Skywards Mastercard®.
- Select the Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
For best chances of approval for this credit card, you’ll likely need a credit score of 670 or higher.
Compare airline credit cards
The Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard® is an expensive credit card that is most useful during the first year of card membership. After that, if you can’t spend at least $40,000 annually with this card, the less-expensive Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard® could be the better choice.