Ellevest Debit Card review
Offers rewards, but you’ll need to pay for a subscription.
finder.com’s rating: 4.1 / 5.0
The Ellevest Debit Card offers rewards, round-ups and ATM fee rebates, but you can’t deposit cash or checks and you must have a paid subscription. It’s marketed as being created by women, for women, though it’s available to men as well.
From $1 per month
|Fee||From $1 per month|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Domestic ATM Transaction Fees will be reimbursed if a payroll direct deposit has been received within the prior 30 days of the ATM transaction settlement.|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$5 if you use your debit card outside of the US, plus whatever the owner of the ATM charges.|
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Expert reviewEllevest debit card and banking is best for those who want an all-in-one spending, saving and investment platform. You won’t pay for overdrafts and transfers and if you incur an ATM fee in the US, you’ll get free unlimited reimbursements.
But unlike most cash management accounts, you’re required to pay for a membership plan with Ellevest. Your membership fee includes Ellevest’s investment account, and although you don’t have to use it, you can’t opt out of it. Also, contacting customer service is hit or miss. We contacted Ellevest multiple times during business hours with no luck. But when we tried again a few days later, we reached a live rep.
If you don’t plan to use Ellevest’s investing service and want to put your money somewhere with better customer support availability, explore other cash management accounts that offer more features and fewer restrictions.
How much does Ellevest cost?Ellevest has three membership plans, all of which include access to Ellevest Banking.
|Ellevest Essential||$1/month or $12/year|
|Ellevest Plus||$5/month or $48/year||Everything from the Essential plan and:|
|Ellevest Executive||$9/month or $89/year||Everything from the Plus plan and:|
How do I open an Ellevest account?
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Visit the provider page and select Start Banking.
- Enter your email and create a password, accept the terms, then select Create Profile.
- Enter your personal information, including your name, age and education level.
- Choose your monthly membership plan, then confirm your email address.
- Enter your residential address, phone number and date of birth, then select Continue.
- Link an existing bank or investment account, then choose an investment goal and select Let’s Go.
- Use the investment calculator to determine how much to invest, then select Continue.
To open an Ellevest account, you must meet the following criteria.
- US citizen or US resident
- At least 18 years old — or 19 in Alabama and Nebraska
- Residential address
- Checking or savings account with a US bank or investment institution
Have the following information handy when signing up for an Ellevest account.
- Name, address and birthdate
- Social Security number and citizenship status
- Employment information
- Bank information
What are the benefits of an Ellevest banking account?
The Ellevest debit card has some attractive features.
- No extra fees. You’ll have to pay a membership fee, but you won’t pay a fee for overdrafts, transfers or to keep a minimum balance.
- ATM reimbursements. Ellevest reimburses unlimited ATM fees in the US.
- Rewards. You could earn an average of up to 5% cashback when you use your debit card and take advantage of personalized offers.
- Automatic round-ups. If you activate this feature, Ellevest will round up your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference in a separate Save account, which is included with your Ellevest membership.
What should I look out for?
Before signing up for an Ellevest card, be aware of these drawbacks.
- Membership required. You’ll pay anywhere from $1 to $9 per month to use Ellevest. Every plan includes Ellevest‘s investment platform, but you don’t have to use it.
- International fees. You’ll pay $5 for using international ATMs and a 1.1% fee on international transactions.
- No joint accounts. Ellevest only offers individual accounts.
- No cash or check deposits. There’s no way to deposit cash or checks into your Ellevest banking account without using another bank. Ellevest also doesn’t offer check-writing services.
- Limited support. Ellevest doesn’t offer chat support, and while you can call 844-355-7100 on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET, we were sent straight to voicemail during most of our attempts to contact a representative.
Ellevest‘s ATM network and fees
You can use your Ellevest debit card to withdraw money from your account for free at any ATM in the US that accepts Mastercard. But if you use your debit card outside of the US, you’ll pay a $5 fee, plus whatever the owner of the ATM charges.
Is the Ellevest Debit Card safe?
Yes. Ellevest banking accounts are FDIC-insured for up to $250,000. Ellevest also uses 256-bit encryption to secure your account, and you can use the app to lock your debit card and reset your PIN.
Ellevest Debit Card reviews and complaintsEllevest is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which gives it a B rating based on 15 customer complaints. These complaints are about various issues, including technical problems, unexpected transfers and difficulty reaching customer service.
Compare Ellevest Banking with other cash management accounts
Compare other cash management accounts based on their fees, minimum deposits and ATM networks.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?Ellevest doesn’t support cash or check deposits, but you can access your money in six ways.
- Direct deposit. Deposit your paycheck directly into your Ellevest account.
- Incoming ACH transfer. Link an external bank to your Ellevest account and accept automated clearing house transfers.
- Wire transfer. Your Ellevest account can accept incoming wire transfers.
- ATM. Withdraw cash for free from any ATM in the US that accepts Mastercard debit cards.
- Outgoing ACH transfers. Initiate an outgoing ACH transfer when you link an external bank to your Ellevest account.
- Wire transfers. Wire funds to another person or account by logging into Ellevest‘s website.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.