Elephant car insurance review 2021
Stack discounts to save up to 40%, then manage your policy online. But many customer complaints.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re curious about you rate or like managing your policy online.
- Pick something else if you want the best customer support.
- Cheapest rates for drivers with multiple cars
New car protection
|States served||Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone, mail|
- Fully online
- Multiple discounts add up
- One-year terms
- Services in six states only
- Many online complaints
- Prefers multicar policies
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes - work from home|
|Other discounts||Online quote - get a quote online and save up to 15%|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Aside from the well-known national brands, many smaller insurance companies are offering affordable coverage with the convenience and flexibility that comes with a fully online operation. Elephant Insurance is one of them, claiming to save you up to 40% through combinable discounts.
You’ll get the most bang for your buck if you have multiple cars to insure with the company. However, Elephant is only available in a few states. And while its customer service ratings aren’t the worst we’ve seen, the company does see more complaints than normal in the industry.
This company works best if you’re a driver in one of these states looking to save money insuring multiple cars.
But most readers can find what they’re looking for with another car insurance company. Before making a final decision, consider the coverage, perks and service ratings from several companies to find the right policy.
How to get a free quote for Elephant car insurance
If you’re curious about your rates with Elephant, start with a free online quote.
- Go to Elephant Insurance’s website and enter your ZIP code, then click Let’s get started.
- Enter your personal contact information as well as details on the vehicles you want to insure and drivers you plan to add to your policy. Click Continue.
- Wait for your quote to populate. If you’re not yet sure about Elephant, you can retrieve a saved quote to buy a policy later.
- If you like what you see, continue the process of getting your policy online.
- To speak with a representative, contact support at 877-321-2096 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET.
What info do I need to apply?
To sign up for a policy online or by phone, you’ll need to submit:
- Your address, email and phone number.
- Demographic info, like your marital status, education and employment details.
- The year, make and model of the vehicles you want to insure, along with safety information.
- Any payments you make on your vehicles, and whether you’re the original owner.
- The primary use and annual mileage of your vehicles.
- Contact information for any drivers you want to add to your policy.
- Information on any current auto policy you carry.
- A Visa, Mastercard or Discover card or bank account details.
What discounts can I get with Elephant?
Elephant claims it can save you up to 40% through its discounts alone. It advertises more discounts online than you’ll find with similar companies, including:
- Bundling. Group homeowners or renters insurance with your auto coverage for a varying percentage off.
- Diminishing deductible program. When you sign up for the program, you’ll get $100 off your deductible on day 1. Then, after 5 years of good driving, that savings jumps to $500. And Elephant won’t reset your deductible to the full amount just because you have one accident.
- Good student. Prove that you’re a full-time student with at least a B average, and you might shave 12% off your rate.
- Multicar policy. Get up to 20% off your coverage when you insure more than one car on your policy.
- Online quote and sign. Get a discount for getting a quote online and for signing your documents online.
- Paperless account. Save up to 3% for each vehicle by going green.
- Pay in full. Satisfy the full balance of your annual policy up front to save more from the get-go.
- Safe driver. If you haven’t had an accident in five years, you could save up to 10% with specific coverage.
- Work from home. Save up to 7% for working from home. This discount takes into account how many days per week you work from home and can apply to your spouse as well. This is also called a low mileage discount from other companies.
Elephant car insurance reviews and complaints
Elephant Insurance Services, which includes services beyond auto insurance, has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2015. The company holds an A+ rating as of 2021, based on factors outside of raves or complaints like transparency in business practices.
Elephant has closed over 100 BBB complaints in the last three years, and customers rate the company with 2 out of 5 stars on the BBB overall. Along with these complaints, Elephant receives a 1.62 rating on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private auto insurance. Since the industry standard is 1.00, Elephant’s score shows that it sees more complaints than normal.
Specifically, many customer complaints involve issues with unexpected charges, including higher-than-expected premiums after finalizing a policy online, rate increases and slow or unhelpful customer service. More alarming, customers say that claims can be slow and difficult — not what you want to deal with after an accident.
On the flip side, positive reviews center on Elephant’s low rates and willingness to match competitor pricing. Its stackable discounts also get a thumbs-up. Mixed reviews aren’t out of the ordinary for car insurance companies. But when negatives outweigh the positives, it’s worth knowing what you’re getting into.
Our star ratings for Elephant, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Elephant about average because of its many customer complaints and lack of common discounts, such as for car safety features or taking a defensive driving course. However, the company does offer ample coverage options, and we like its high BBB rating.
Alternatives to Elephant car insurance
Compare Elephant’s policy with what other car insurance companies have to offer. Then, tap Get quotes to see your customized rate.
Is Elephant Insurance legit?
Yes, though it’s a new company founded in 2009, Elephant is a legit car insurer backed by a financially solid company. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Elephant Insurance is a subsidiary company of Admiral Group, one of the largest auto insurers in the UK serving more than 6 million customers worldwide.
What car insurance coverage does Elephant Insurance offer?
Elephant offers a full range of coverage to protect you, your loved ones, your property and others you might bump into on the road.
- Property damage liability. Pays for damages to other vehicles or property that result from an accident you’re at fault for. The max is $250,000 for total property damage per accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers damage to people injured in an at-fault accident. Caps out at $250,000 per person and $500,000 per accident.
- Collision. Covers car repairs, medical bills and related expenses that result from an at-fault accident.
- Comprehensive. Protects you from unexpected damages that can result from theft, vandalism or natural disaster — situations outside of accidents.
- Medical payments. Covers the bills that come with injuries to you or your passengers — no matter who caused the accident.
- Personal injury protection. Fills in the gaps to cover indirect costs that result from an accident, like ambulance rides, lost wages and even child care, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Bodily injury coverage that kicks in if you’re injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the costs of a rental if your own car ends up in the shop after an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Get help with towings, jump-starts and emergency assistance services 24/7 nationwide.
Pros and cons of Elephant car insurance
If you live in Elephant’s service area, lower-than-average rates and stackable discounts give it an edge over competitors. But you won’t find local agents from Elephant, and your payment options are limited.
You might like Elephant for these top benefits that it offers.
- Fully online. Get a quote, sign up and store all necessary documents in one convenient place.
- Save up to 40%. Elephant claims you can save up to 40% with its many discounts.
- One-year terms. Unlike many other companies, you can lock in your policy’s rate for up to a year, rather than the typical six-month term.
This local company comes with a few downsides, including:
- Only available in a few states. If you don’t live in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas or Virginia, you’ll need to look elsewhere until Elephant expands its coverage.
- Many customer complaints. Its marketing is great. But customers say that its site access is erratic, service unprofessional and payments are tricky.
- Limited payment options. Payments are limited to credit or debit cards or bank account withdrawals. And if you don’t pay for your policy in full, you’re required to sign up for automatic deductions.
- Prefers multicar policies. Elephant likes insuring multicar households. If that’s not you, you can still get a quote, but this company may not be your cheapest option.
Ways to contact Elephant
Email your questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions, call 877-321-2096 weekdays from 8 am to 10 pm, Saturdays from 9 am to 8 pm or Sundays from 11 am to 7 pm ET.
To file a claim, call 844-937-5353 at any time.
- General questions. Contact Elephant Insurance’s customer support team at 866-980-9431 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET or email email@example.com.
- Claims assistance. Call 844-867-2514 at any time.
- Roadside assistance. Call 855-982-1720 at any time.
Frequently asked questions about Elephant car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.