Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best electric shavers
Get a clean, hassle-free shave, every time.
These handy devices can act as an everyday substitute for traditional blade razors, or can be used less frequently when you need to shave in a hurry.
You can pick up basic electric shavers from as little as 20 bucks, or spend hundreds on high-end models. The electric shaver you select will depend on your personal preferences, overall features, attachments and price.
Compare the most popular electric razors
|Type||Number of head|
|Philips Norelco S1560||$39.95||Rotary||4||Rechargeable||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
|Wahl 5 STAR 8061-1006||$69.55||Foil||2||Rechargeable||No||Yes||Buy now|
|Panasonic Arc5 ES-LA63-S||$139.99||Foil||5||Rechargeable||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
|Panasonic Arc4 ES8103S||$89.99||Foil||4||Rechargable||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
A new electric razor can cost anywhere from around $20 to $300 or more, depending on the brand, model, technological capabilities and included accessories. Determine how often you’ll be using the shaver, what you’ll be using it for and what functions you’ll need to help you figure out how much you might need to spend.
You’ll also need to identify the different features that are important to you. Does the razor need to be plugged in to operate, or is it cordless? If it’s cordless, how long will it take to charge and how long will a single charge last? How much space will it take up in the bathroom cabinet? Do you need any additional accessories or products?
Environmental and energy-related concerns may also factor into your decision-making.
What types of electric shavers are available?
- Foil razor. A foil razor consists of a slim, curved metal foil that covers the cutting blade. As you move the shaver back and forth over your skin, the blade trims the hair that pushes through the foil. A foil shaver can have up to five foils, depending on the model and price tag.
- Rotary razor. A rotary razor has three or four round heads. Below these heads, blades spin and cut the hair.
- Electric razor oil or lubricant. A small container of oil often comes packaged with your electric shaver. But you’ll need to buy more oil over time in order to keep your machine functioning at optimum levels. This oil reduces wear and tear on the blades, diminishes heat caused by constant friction and extends the life of your shaver.
- Trimmers. Some electric shavers have built-in trimmer attachments that allow you to trim back thick or long hair before you shave. Some come as an attachment, while some electric shavers don’t include one at all.
- Travel case. People often don’t think about a travel case when buying a razor, but if you travel for work or go on vacation, you’ll probably need to bring your razor with you. Soft cases or bags don’t offer much protection, while hard cases can safeguard against accidental drops, knocks and superficial damage, such as scratches.
- Wired or cordless. Some people prefer wired shavers because they know they won’t run out of power mid-shave. However, many new cordless shavers have excellent battery life and come equipped with rapid-power charging stations. Some of these charging bases also offer self-cleaning options.
- Wet or dry shave. Most new electric shavers can be used in the shower or on wet skin. This is an advantage for those in a hurry, multitaskers or people whose skin is easily irritated by a dry shave. This feature can have an impact on cost since most cheaper models under $50 aren’t water-resistant.
Where to buy electric razors
The most convenient way to buy an electric razor is to shop online. Regardless of your budget or specific requirements, retailers generally offer the same deals and products online as they do in your local store. In some cases, they’ll offer exclusive online-only prices and discounts.
Check out our guide for a list of top sites to shop electric shavers and a few more top picks.
If you’re in the market for a new electric razor, start buy deciding on a budget and your must-have features. Then compare a few different options to find the one that best suits your needs and wallet.
If you’re in need of hair clippers as well, take a look at our list of the top online stores to shop.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best electric razors, we conducted online research to determine some of the most popular models available at various price points. We then factored in overall features, included attachments and razor type.
Frequently asked questions
How do electric razors affect your skin?
Electric razors tend to cause less irritation and razor burn, and fewer nicks and cuts than traditional razor blades.
How long do electric shavers last?
On average, a mid-range electric shaver should last around seven to 10 years. You may need to replace attachments and other parts before this, though.
Does shaving cause acne?
When you shave, hairs can sometimes grow in on themselves. These ingrown hairs may be mistaken for acne.
However, shaving may also irritate your skin and worsen existing acne. Acne happens when bacteria becomes trapped inside the pores of your skin.
More guides on Finder
Compare teledermatology options
Get the skincare you need without taking a trip into your doctor’s office.
What to expect from the Target 14 Days of Beauty sale
Get all the details on Target’s 14 Days of Beauty sale. And find some hacks on how to stretch your dollar and stack the savings.
17 best shoes for teens
From furry boots to super cool combats, cheetah flats and all-the-rage sneakers, we’ve rounded up the best shoes for the teen in your life.
These are the best holiday beauty deals happening now
We tracked down some of the best holiday beauty deals, from Fenty Beauty to Kylie Cosmetics.
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
A beginner’s guide to retinol skincare products
Discover how this derivative of vitamin A affects your skin — and see our top picks.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2021
Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Best infrared thermometers
As businesses reopen following COVID-19-related shutdowns, choose the best non-contact infrared thermometer that fits your needs.
Ask an Expert