Electric car insurance review Oct 2020
Find discounted coverage and lightning-quick claims in any state.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you love discounts and need quick, quality claims service.
- Pick something else if you prefer working with a big brand.
- Many drivers can find good rates from Electric Auto.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
- Long list of discounts
- Service in all 50 states
- Online claims
- Safe driver rewards
- Quick claims service
- Lack of customer reviews
- Confusing website info
- Small brand
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Discounted personal excess liability for General Electric employees|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Electric Auto offers strong standard coverage and add-ons to cover most of your needs. It also honors its own name with a discount for electric vehicles, plus it guarantees top claims service with a money-back feature if you’re unsatisfied.
On the downside, Electric is a small insurer with more experienced competitors in the market if that’s a preference for you. See how Electric Insurance stacks up to other providers who offer coverage for your vehicle.
What car insurance coverage does Electric Insurance offer?
Electric Insurance Company offers strong standard coverage for wide protection:
- Property damage liability. Make sure the other driver gets coverage for vehicle damage in an accident you cause.
- Bodily injury liability. Take responsibility for injuries incurred to the other driver and passengers.
- Collision. Don’t pay out of your own pocket for accident-related repairs to your own vehicle. This coverage also applies toward a replacement vehicle up to the cash value of your car.
- Comprehensive. Make sure incidents like theft or weather damage are taken care of.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Let your policy take care of liability when another driver is unable to take responsibility, usually due to lack of insurance.
- Medical payments. Supplement your health insurance for expensive accident-related medical bills, no matter who’s at fault.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Pay for medical bills for you and your passengers. In states where required, this coverage also provides for lost income and funeral expenses as an extra precaution.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Electric offer?
The company offers several options to keep you from putting a dent in your wallet after an accident:
- Towing and labor. Get partial or full reimbursement for towing your car to a repair shop after an accident.
- Better car protection. If your car is totaled during an accident, this coverage helps you replace it with a newer car with fewer miles.
- Loan or lease gap. What happens if your financed or leased car is totaled and the claim doesn’t fully pay off your lender? This coverage fills in the gap for you.
- Rental vehicle. Cover the cost of a rental car while yours is in the shop.
- Glass repairs. Repair cracks and chips before they become a bigger problem.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Opt for coverage to take care of minor roadside needs like fuel delivery or a battery jumpstart.
- Signature claims service guarantee. Get exceptional customer service during a vehicle damage claim — or receive $100 if you’re unsatisfied. Make sure to follow the different instructions for filing the claim.
What discounts can I get with Electric?
Electric Insurance includes a wide range of discounts that you may qualify for:
- Safe driver. Get rewarded for keeping a clean driving streak.
- Accident-free. Get a lowered rate for keeping your policy free of claims.
- Driving course. Have young drivers complete a driver training course or experienced drivers a refresher safety course for safer roads and easy savings.
- Safety features. Keep your car decked out with safety features like antilock brakes, an antitheft system and passive seat belt restraints.
- Low annual mileage. Enjoy a reduced rate for driving less on the roads.
- New vehicle. Find a discount for your investment in a car under three years old.
- Electric and hybrid vehicles. Get a green vehicle and keep more green in your wallet.
- Multipolicy. Insure your home and auto on the same policy.
- Pay in full. Pay your premium upfront for 5% savings.
- New customer. Find rewards for applying to your new policy at least seven days before the actual policy start date.
- Family and friends referral. Enjoy first-time savings if a friend or family member referred you to Electric Auto.
- Employer group. Purchasing insurance through your employer? You could enjoy a discount.
- Married status. Receive the benefit of a lower rate for getting hitched.
- Good student. Motivate students to keep grades at a B average for extra savings.
- College student. Keep your rates low when your student driver on the policy goes away to school at least 100 miles away.
Pros and cons of Electric Insurance car insurance
- Long list of discounts. Many customers can receive one or more discounts with this company’s easy-to-attain list.
- Wide service area. Electric Auto offers coverage in all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Online claims. Get the convenience of starting your claim from your online account.
- Safe driver rewards. If you’re concerned about safety, the company sends its thanks through savings.
- Quick claims. You can receive settlement for your claim within a few business days of getting your vehicle’s repair estimate.
- Lack of customer reviews. You won’t find many sites with a large number of customer reviews. The company does hold an A+ rating with the BBB, though.
- Confusing website info. The company lists different coverage types, discounts and benefits on different webpages, making it difficult to get a full scope of its offerings.
- Small brand. Some customers might prefer working with a bigger brand.
Alternatives to Electric Insurance Company
How to apply for Electric Insurance Company car insurance
Get your Electric Insurance policy started either online or by talking to a phone representative.
- Go to the company’s auto insurance homepage. Then, enter your ZIP code and choose Auto from the dropdown. Click Start.
- Enter personal details, policy start date and employer group if applicable.
- Fill out vehicle and driver information, including any incidents.
- Confirm your information to receive your quote.
- If moving forward to a policy, confirm your information again, such as the accident summary. Start your policy.
Phone. For a more personal touch, talk with a phone rep directly at 800-342-5342.
What info do I need to apply?
Speed through the application process by keeping some information handy:
- Your home address
- Phone number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Coverage needs and policy start date
- Payment information
How to make a claim with Electric Insurance
Electric allows you to report claims via your online account, mobile account, email or with a phone rep:
- Online. Log into your customer account for a quick, convenient start to your claim.
- Phone. Talk with a representative at 800-342-5342. Since Electric Auto requires a recorded spoken statement of accident details, you’ll likely speak with a rep sometime during the process.
- Mobile app. Report your claim through your phone and include accident damage photos.
- Email for claims service guarantee. To report a damage claim under the company’s claims service guarantee:
- Go to the claims homepage, then click to the claims guarantee webpage. Access your PDF form from there.
- Enter accident details on the form.
- Email the form to CustomerAdvocate@ElectricInsurance.com or fax to 978-236-5547.
Questions about Electric Insurance Company car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.