Education Loan Finance student loan refinancing review
A provider offering some of the lowest APRs out there, but with strict eligibility requirements.
- Best for refinancing large student debt loads or transferring PLUS Loans to your child.
- Pick something else if you don’t have good credit or never finished your degree.
2.39% to 6.01%
Max. Loan Amount
Min. Credit Score
|Product Name||Education Loan Finance Student Loan Refinancing|
|Minimum Loan Amount||$15,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||None|
|APR||2.39% to 6.01%|
|Interest Rate Type||Variable|
|Fixed rate||2.58% to 5.99%|
|Minimum Loan Term||5 years|
|Maximum Loan Term||20 years|
|Requirements||Must have a bachelor's degree or higher, good credit, annual income of $35,000+, low debt-to-income ratio.|
Anna Serio is a trusted lending expert and certified Commercial Loan Officer who's published more than 1,000 articles on Finder to help Americans strengthen their financial literacy. A former editor of a newspaper in Beirut, Anna writes about personal, student, business and car loans. Today, digital publications like Business Insider, CNBC and the Simple Dollar feature her professional commentary, and she earned an Expert Contributor in Finance badge from review site Best Company in 2020.
Education Loan Finance (ELFI) is ideal for good-credit borrowers with high debt loads looking to qualify for a lower rate. It offers the option to match competitors’ rates, and you won’t have to pay an origination fee. Plus, it’s one of the few lenders that allows you to refinance federal Parent PLUS Loans into your child’s name.
But you’ll need to have good credit and a low debt-to-income ratio to qualify. And you’re not eligible if you never finished your degree.
Not sure ELFI is right for you? Compare other refinancing options below.
How much will this loan cost me?
With ELFI, you can choose between a variable APR, which changes every three months, or a fixed APR, which stays the same through the life of your loan. Variable rates currently range from 2.39% to 6.01%. Fixed rates range from 2.79% to 5.99%. Loan terms range from 5 to 20 years.
ELFI calculates variable rates by adding between 0.95% and 4.85% to the three-month LIBOR rate, a baseline interest rate that many other education lenders use to calculate variable rates. The maximum variable interest rate anyone can get is 9.95%, no matter how high the LIBOR rate goes.
Use the calculator below to estimate your monthly payments and total interest paid over the life of your new loan:
Monthly repayments calculatorSee how much you'll pay
|Loan terms (in years)|
Does ELFI offer any discounts?
ELFI doesn’t offer any discounts on its refinancing loans, exactly. But you can get $400 by referring a friend to ELFI — as long as they’re approved. Your friend will also get a $100 check just for applying through ELFI’s referral program.
If you’ve seen some information on ELFI’s Fast Track bonus, you’re out of luck. As of December 1, 2018, ELFI is no longer offering this feature.
First, am I eligible?
To be eligible for ELFI student loan refinancing, you or your cosigner must:
- Have good credit
- Make at least $35,000 a year
- Low debt-to-income ratio (DTI)
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree
- Have attended an eligible school
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Be older than 18
While ELFI doesn’t mention any hard credit or income requirements, you might have a better chance of being approved if you make at least $35,000. Most lenders won’t approve applicants with a debt-to-income ratio above 50%.
How does refinancing with ELFI work?
Education Loan Finance is SouthEast Bank’s student loan refinancing and consolidation program with three decades of working with student loans under its belt. With ELFI, you can refinance both federal and private student loans — even federal consolidation loans. Its rates are highly competitive and it can sometimes even match offers from other lenders if they’re lower.
If you decide to refinance with ELFI, buckle up for the long haul. Its application isn’t complicated but ELFI tends to ask for more documentation than other refinancing providers, which can take a while to gather.
What happens if I refinance my federal loans with ELFI?
It’s possible that you’ll get lower rates by refinancing, especially if you have unsubsidized or PLUS loans. However, refinancing any federal student loan means you’ll lose access to several benefits that most private providers don’t offer. Carefully weigh what you’ll lose and gain before refinancing any federal loans.
What are my repayment options?
ELFI only offers a standard repayment plan where each month you repay the same amount. If your financial situation changes and you can’t afford your monthly repayment, reach out to ELFI to see if it can grant you forbearance.
Top 6 reasons to consider ELFI
- Might match competitors’ rates. ELFI will match lower rates from other lenders, even after you’ve been approved for your loan with ELFI.
- Parent PLUS refinancing. This lender is one of a handful that lets parents refinance PLUS loans in their child’s name.
- Risk-free rate check. Use either ELFI’s online payment estimator or get a a more personalized estimate of your rates in the first part of the application without a hard credit check.
- ELFI referral program. You can get $400 for referring a friend to ELFI as long as they’re approved.
- No application or origination fees. You won’t have to pay any fees to get your new loan.
- Forbearance option available. If you can prove economic hardship, you might be able to qualify to pause repayments while you get back on your feet.
Why you might want to consider another provider
- No cosigner release. If you want to take your cosigner off your loan, you’ll have to refinance with yourself as the sole borrower — and get potentially higher rates.
- High minimum debt. Most student loan refinancing providers only require you to have $5,000 in debt. ELFI asks for three times this amount.
- Requires graduation. You can’t refinance student debt from a degree you never finished.
- Strict eligibility requirements. ELFI might ask for more documentation than other lenders and hold borrowers to a higher standard.
Compare Education Loan Finance to other student loan providers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Education Loan Finance reviews and complaints
|BBB customer reviews|
|Trustpilot Score||4.9 out of 5 stars, based on 1,236 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||16 October 2020|
What to expect when signing up
Get ready to apply for ELFI by gathering together the following documents:
- Billing statement or payoff letter for each loan. These documents must include your servicer’s name, your name, your loan IDs, account numbers or sequence numbers and your payment mailing address. Reach out to your lender or loan servicer if you’re unsure of how to get either of these. The statement or letter should be no more than 30 days old when you submit it to ELFI.
- Proof of employment. This includes paystubs covering the past 30 days, W-2 forms or tax returns if you’re self-employed.
- Valid ID. ELFI suggests submitting your driver’s license or passport.
- Billing account information. ELFI uses this to make automatic or electronic repayments.
How to prequalify
- Go to ELFI’s website and click Find My Rate.
- Create a profile by entering your name, email address and password before hitting Create Profile.
- Click Student Loan Refinancing and enter the code sent to your email address before filling out the application and clicking Get My Rate.
If you prequalify, ELFI will give you information on the types of rates and terms you might be able to get.
How to apply
- Sign in and follow the directions to fill out your application. Once you submit it, ELFI will run a hard credit check that will temporarily lower your credit score.
- Wait for ELFI to contact you before you upload your documents. If you need any additional documentation, a personal loan advisor will reach out to you.
- Wait between two to three days for ELFI to underwrite your loan.
- Review and sign your loan documents.
- Wait for funds to be disbursed to your former lenders.
More about ELFI
Education Loan Finance operates as an online lender, but has the weight of a bank behind it to make sure your loan is handled smoothly. It’s funded over $18 million in student loans and offers free resources like scholarship searches and financial literacy products to help borrowers make a more informed decision.
Not sure ELFI is right for you? Read our guide to student loan refinancing to compare more lenders.