Earnest personal loans review
Earnest no longer offers personal loans
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5.0
- Best for borrowers with good credit and a steady job.
- Pick something else if you're in a hurry to get cash.
Max. Loan Amount
5.99% to 17.24%
Min. Credit Score
Aliyyah Camp is a writer and personal finance blogger who helps readers compare personal, student, car and business loans. Aliyyah earned a BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and is based in New York, where she enjoys movies and running outdoors.
Earnest personal loans are ideal for borrowers with good to excellent credit and a steady job. It offers loans as high as $75,000 with competitive rates for an online lender. You also won’t be on the hook for an origination fee or any late fees.
But you can’t apply with a cosigner, which means you’ll have trouble qualifying if you have less-than-perfect credit. And it isn’t a good option if you’re looking to get funds fast — it can take five to 10 business days to hear back about a decision.
Not sold on Earnest? Compare your other options below.
First, am I eligible?
Before you apply with Earnest, make sure you meet the minimum requirements:
- 680+ credit score
- Proof of consistent income
- US citizen or 10-year permanent resident
- 18+ years old
- Live in any state except Delaware, Kentucky or Nevada
- APR ranges from 5.99% to 17.24%
- No origination or late payment fees
- Easy-to-use mobile app
- Available in every state except Delaware, Kentucky or Nevada
- Good to excellent credit required
- Cosigners aren’t accepted
- Can’t borrow less than $5,000
- Can take 5 to 10 business days to get a decision
Compare other personal loan providers
How do I apply?
- Click Go to Site to be redirected to Earnest’s personal loan page.
- Click Get My Rate to begin your application.
- Enter information about yourself, including your Social Security number and annual income.
- Read Earnest’s disclosures and click See My Rate! to submit your application.
What information do I need to apply?
Earnest only requires two basic pieces of information when you apply:
- Social Security number
- Annual income
What happens after I apply?
You may need to set up an account or submit additional information to complete your application. And remember that when you submit your application, Earnest does a hard credit pull.
It can take five to 10 business days for Earnest to process your application and get back to you with a decision. If you’re approved and accept the offer, you could be funded in as little as one to two business days.
How do repayments work with Earnest?
Earnest allows you to set up autopay to take the hassle out of payments. And to make a bigger dent in your loan balance, you can even change your autopay schedule for payments every two weeks, rather than monthly.
There are no fees, including non-sufficient funds (NSF) fees or late fees, but you should still inform Earnest if you’ll be late on a payment. It may be able to work with you to find an alternate payment option to avoid negative marks on your credit report.
See how Earnest stacks up to the competition with our guide to personal loans.
Frequently asked questions
Personal loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top personal loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, customer reviews, loan amounts, loan processing and borrower experience.