Invest in the company behind video game hits FIFA and The Sims.
EA (Electronic Arts) is one of the top names in gaming, making it a popular choice for investors — but not even major name recognition can insulate a company from the risks of the stock market.
EA’s recent stock price performance
Take a look at EA’s stock price performance over the last several months. Monitoring the market is just one aspect of the research you should do before investing in a company like EA. It’s always important to remember that past performance is no indication of future results.
EA’s technical performance
Technical analysis is the mathematical study of a stock’s price based on its recent trends. You have many more ways than the MACD to analyze market trends. Here’s what several key technical indicators are saying about EA’s current stock trend, according to charting service TradingView.
Compare trading platforms that offer EA stock
Ways to stay up to date with EA stocks
When buying or selling shares in a company it’s important to keep an eye on current affairs related to the company, including:
- Financial reporting. EA reports its earnings based on a fiscal year that ends March 31.
- Company news. Is EA planning to release a new game in the next few months? Are they looking to move into a new country or market? Are they hiring/firing staff? All of these events will have an impact on the company’s stock price.
- Wider news. You should also be aware of other external events and news that may have an impact on EA’s share price — for instance, news about the video games industry or a new product launch by a competing company like Nintendo or Ubisoft.
- Does the company pay dividends? If a company pays dividends, it means they pay some of their profits back to shareholders. Currently, EA does not pay dividends.
- Shareholder meetings. These are often held annually and invite large shareholders to attend meetings and vote on matters relating to the company. It is a good idea to know when these are, as they may hold importance over the direction of the company. EA hosts a shareholder meeting annually in August.
What to research before investing
Before deciding to buy stock in any company, determine if it’s a good investment by looking into:
- What does the company do? Can you explain what the company does in a few sentences? If you can’t, maybe you should go back to the drawing board.
- Is it making profits? If you’re not sure whether a company is profitable, this could be a warning sign. It’s a good idea to read EA ‘s quarterly or annual earnings reports and take a look at the figures for yourself.
- Who are the main competitors? Every company operates alongside competitors. Before you invest you need to know if the company is the market leader, a newcomer or being pushed out of the market. If the company you’re considering investing in is global facing, you need to keep an eye on foreign competition, too.
- Who runs the company? Any decent company will list its senior managers. Even a cursory look at this can tell you something about the company’s stability and management style. If a company can’t seem to hold on to leadership, it can be a sign of trouble.
- Is the company’s position sustainable? If you’re looking for a long-term investment, consider whether the product or service the company offers will still be valuable in several years.
- Is there room for future growth? Linked to the question above, what is the outlook for medium- to long-term growth? Has your company reached its maximum size?
As one of the most popular gaming companies, EA is a popular investment option — but with stock prices that depend largely on the success of their games, turning a profit by buying and selling its stock is far from a done deal. Do your research to decide whether EA is a gamble you’re comfortable taking.
Frequently asked questions
Picture: Radu Bercan / Shutterstock.comBack to top